TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
KSBASS

Default Converter Replacement with PD 9260C

After having problems with the stock 6345Q converter (terrible buzz and hot smell) I perused this forum and saw that folks were migrating to the multi-stage converters. Bob R had used the PD9160 with good results thus I headed that direction. The 60A model was preferred as it was lower profile, 3.6" tall vs. 4.5" of the 30 or 45A models, and would fit within the existing 6300 shell. I then ran across the PD9260C model (same physical size). It's basically the PD9160 with the 'Charge Wizard" built in. "The Charge Wizard can automatically select one of three charging voltages and one of four operating modes depending on the condition and use of the battery." Anyway I Googled a new one for $155. I had found a webpage, can't seem to now, that detailed its installation very nicely. The installer had removed the guts out of the existing 6300 converter and installed the PD9160 in its place. He wanted to use the existing cover mounting brackets that are in the shell. Converter arrived and replacement began... When I got to the entrails removal point I decided to skip that part (as it required alot of rivet drilling and extensive disassembly time) and just mount the PD9260 right to the TM floor in the spot where the old one had been. See pic. The wiring was very straightforward. Just replaced like for like. I did add a female 110V extension cord replacement receptacle to the TM wiring so I could just plug in the converter and not have to cut off the male plug it came with. The output side has nice terminals that tighten with a hex wrench. Screwing the converter down, actually drilling holes in the floor, presented a challenge in the tight quarters. After securing the converter, I then positioned the outside cover in place and drilled a hole through it on each side and through the metal flange of the converter housing. I used some 1" self-threading metal screws to tap the holes through the flanges and hold the cover in place. It worked great. See pic.

I also replaced the plastic tube fuse on the battery with a weather-tight ATC type 30A fuse holder from O'Reillys. Yes, it's the 12ga. wire variety.

Power up was uneventful, well mostly. I noticed right away the lack of noise and smell from the new converter. Also, the 60/120 Hz buzz in the stereo speakers I'd had with the old converter was gone. I had had the battery off charge for over a week while I worked on things and measured 12.42V at the battery prior to powering up the converter. As I fired it up, the charger went into boost mode putting out 14.31V measured at the distribution panel terminals. I measured 13.78V at the battery. I did not have my dc current probe available but wished I had. I was up near the battery and happened to feel the fuse holder. It was hot! Wiring wasn't just the fuse holder. I expected the fuse to blow but it did not.

Given what I learned and my method of mounting the new converter to the TM floor, if I had to do it over again, I would have chosen the PD9245C or the PD9130 or 40 instead of overdoing it with the PD9260C. The 4.5" height of the other units wouldn't be a problem since I have 2" of clearance above the PD9260C mounted the way I did. I am hoping the 60A converter won't give me or my battery grief in the future. Just something to consider anyway...

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Inside.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Cover.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2181  
Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
FightinIrish

Any updates on how the new converter charger is doing?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
retiredgoat

Default WF8955REP 55 Amp Converter Replacement Kit

Hello All,

I did my replacement with an WF8955REP 55 Amp Converter Replacement Kit from www.bestconverter.com. It was really simple and had built in up grades that the site can explain better than me, the big one I liked was a new fuse/dist. board for D/C which gives it 9 positions of filtered DC with or without an battery. This is a must for LED lights as posted by someone on the forum.

Anyway if anyone wants a new converter this is and was the simplest install.

Oh BTW the web site has an pictured tutorial of how to change it over (which was a big help).

Bob
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
FightinIrish

OK, a stupid question. What are the benefits of upgrading the converter. right now I have the stock Parallax 6332 32 amp converter with a single battery. Just purchased my TM and haven't even looked at the battery. Right now we are just interested in camping with hookups but would possibly venture out to some boondocking. If I am going to do any upgrade, Id rather do it once and cover the boondocking possibility later. Any suggestions or thoughts ?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
KSBASS

Default Update on PD9260C converter replacement

So far so good with the PD9260C replacement converter. My replacement was necessary as mine was making a constant very loud buzzing and had the distinct smell of melted solid-state devices. Our TM, a 2004, was only a couple months new to us but the original owner did tell me that he had "gone through" 3 batteries in his 3 yrs ownership of the TM. When I inspected the battery, it had obvious signs of problems. Acid was caked along top and actually had liquid in the battery box. I did clean it up and added water to it. It seems to run fine. After researching the parallax converters I determined mine was continually (over) charging the battery causing it to boil off the liquid in the battery. The new PD9260C is a multistage converter which is much more advanced than the parallax. It varies the charge rate as required by the battery/load. I have had our TM plugged in, except for travel, since the replacement. The battery is clean on the outside and have had no signs of problems. I'm sure there are several types of multi-stage converters out there that are better than the original parallax ones. I chose the PD9260C based on its low cost, ease of installation, availability and good reviews. To answer your question, take a look at your battey to see if it has been overcharged. If like mine, you will see signs of boil off. Pop the cell covers and check fluid level. Also check date on it. Check fuse holder too. Some have had the cylinder type fuses with melted cases. Mine wasn't but was discolored and I replaced with an ATC-type 30A fuseholder. From my review of this forum and other sites, I feel the single-stage converters require more dilegence on their continued usage. Mine was on it's death bed and I chose to upgrade to the multi-stage type. I surely wouldn't have replaced it with the same model! I plan to keep the TM plugged in all fall and winter and check the battery monthly. I don't anticipate problems with leaving it running all winter.

Troy
Go Cats!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
FightinIrish

Now why did you upgrade to a model that has a higher amperage? I guess I know enough to be dangerous.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
KSBASS

Good Question. It was based on physical size of the different models. Previous posts and articles I read on another site used the 60A model since it would fit in the existing converter metal housing. The 45A model was taller and wouldn't fit in the housing. This was a moot point on my install as I opted to not use the housing and mounted the converter directly to the floor and threw away the 15 lb housing and old converter. See my pic above. Any of the PD models would fit given the method I used to mount it. If I did it again, I would go with the PD9245C (45A) instead of the 60A PD9260C. I don't feel the overkill in this case is needed. Although I have not had any problems with the 9260.
Troy
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
KSBASS

Default PD converter source

My PD9260C came from this guy. Received it in less than a week.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZprideQ5fusa
Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Converter Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinIrish View Post
OK, a stupid question. What are the benefits of upgrading the converter. right now I have the stock Parallax 6332 32 amp converter with a single battery. Just purchased my TM and haven't even looked at the battery. Right now we are just interested in camping with hookups but would possibly venture out to some boondocking. If I am going to do any upgrade, Id rather do it once and cover the boondocking possibility later. Any suggestions or thoughts ?
You've asked good question. I see you have a 2004. Halfway during that year TM switched from the Parallax 6300 to the 7300. You can find some old threads on this. The 6300 is poorly regulated and not very battery friendly. The 7300 is a constant voltage converter. It's not a multi-stage charger like the newer ones that TM uses. The downside of this type of converter is that if you left the TM plugged in for extended periods you would need to add water to the battery. I would check it at least once a month. A multi-stage controller senses that the battery is fully charged and switches to a lower float voltage.

Since I normally boondock anyway and have solar panels connected all the time I only plug in the TM to run the air conditioner or refrigerator on AC.

Depending on how you use the TM you might want to consider upgrading to either the Parallax 7300 or a multi-stage converter.

I hope you enjoy the TM. Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
BobRederick

FightinIrish

I selected the 60 A unit because a) it cost the same and b) gave margin so it is more or less idling along. It has the capability of putting out 60A if needed -- say if you are running your front jack up or something. I did worry about putting too much current into the battery, but the battery sets its own current. I have seen it close to 30A when first plugged in, but I haven't burned out the 30A fuse yet. After a minute or so the charging current drops down to 20, then 10A anyway.