TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Lobo4Life

Question Running Lights stay on

Hello, all: I just purchased a used 2008 2720SL Trailmanor. There seems to be a problem: when I disconnect the tow vehicle, the "running lights" stay on (at least I think they are the running lights, based on the TM wiring schematic) I pulled. They are a panel of red lights at the exterior, center rear of the trailer. I had the unit plugged into a wall the first few days, and I'm not sure if the lights were on that whole time. The trailer is parked in my driveway now, not plugged in and the lights are on. When I tried to plug into an outlet, the adapter plug sparked, so now I'm very leery of trying to plug into the wall outlet again.

I'm afraid the battery will discharge overnight, but it's night and I really don't want to tackle this until tomorrow. Any suggestions where I should start. Does this sound like a wire-short? Thanks to anyone that can help.

PS This is my first RV of any kind so I am woefully ignorant at this point. I had a 15 minute orientation on the unit, but I really have almost zero experience with the TM (or any RV, for that matter).
Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Take the negative battery clamp off and figure it out tomorrow!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

You may have gotten this solved already, but the first place I would suspect is inside the round bargman connector on the trailer. See if somehow the wire/terminal to the battery (the one the truck uses to charge the trailer battery) is making contact with the one for the running lights. Find the set screw to loosen it and pull out the female plug/wires for inspection.

Then if necessary, follow those same wires back to the battery and running lights looking for obvious wire damage or splices that may be contacting.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

You said the lights that stay on are the red lights at the exterior, center rear of the trailer. I'm just trying to isolate the issue in my mine. It's strange to have just those lights on unless all the other running lights are burnt out or have bad connections??

All running lights are common to that circuit, so all lights all around the top of the camper should be lite, including one light at each turn single. Are they on? If not when you are connected to the TV do those lights, light up when you turn on the lights?

If those lights will not turn on there's a good chance they are burnt out with left on all the time?? If that is the case that they don't light up, I would look at what oldsticks mentioned with the round bargman connector and work my way back until I found were the 12V source coming into that circuit. After you solve this problem you will need to fix the other lights.

If the other lights light up when connected to the TV, I would think that panel is somehow missed wired and start at that panel and work my way back??
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I agree with TentCamper. I was only thinking about the two terminals (battery and tail circuit) being side by side within the connector with a possibility of stray wires touching.

But I too wondered about all the other marker and tail lights on the same circuit. If all those are not burned out and are working during normal towing with the car lights on, then the problem is somewhere else. Maybe the PO made a mod to have those rear markers on on all the time when towing and something is askew with that wiring. (Or maybe he added a secret switch somewhere for you to find).
Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

This sounds like a short somewhere. You might start by first turning OFF the converter (by the floor on lav wall, top center switch. This pulls a hefty current on startup if left ON and may have caused your spark.

OK next if the lights are still on then start pulling fuses until thay go out (if on with all fuses out you have a different problem). Once you identify which circuit is powering them we are halfway home.

If it were me my first look would be in the bundle of 12v wires going up the swing arm on the street side of the TM for a frayed or shorted wire particularly the WHITE (interior lights to the GREEN (running lights).

And just for S&G I assume your TM is opened up ? If so try folding the lav walls and see if the lights go out.

ps just the center three is odd and is not seperate from the side & corner lights in the schematic TM provides.

pps there is a note that all rear module connections come together bhind the fridge.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Since you said this is a previously owner TM, you might contact the previous owner, I have seen travel trailers where the owners have modified the wiring to the external lights such that some or all of the running lights stay on. I am not sure why, anyone would do that, but I have seen several trailers that have running lights on when camping. You might look for a non standard switch somewhere.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Since you said this is a previously owner TM, you might contact the previous owner, I have seen travel trailers where the owners have modified the wiring to the external lights such that some or all of the running lights stay on. I am not sure why, anyone would do that, but I have seen several trailers that have running lights on when camping. You might look for a non standard switch somewhere.
Curious about that too. I assumed that the wiring for the tail, brake and marker light circuits do not go through the trailer battery or 12 distribution panel. Normally they are wired straight from the TV connector to the lights. So any voltage supply and fuse protection comes directly from the vehicle.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

When you have eliminated the possible...

First place I would look for a mod would be behind the license plate or inside the taillight housing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I have seen the same thing with people lighting up their running lights when camping. I also heard Coleman on some models had a switch for the running lights. But to just have the rear markers light would require isolation. If you connected 12v to those lights all the running lights would light up?

I agree the running light don't run through the converter and are powered by the TV. As Oldstick pointed out the nearest it come to 12V is at the 7 pin plug and the TV battery supply pin.

Just a thought, if it is wired to another circuit either via a switch or short. Maybe removing all the fuses in the converter box will turn off the lights. If it does then re-install one at a time until they come back on. But first re-install the battery fuse if it was removed.

This will give you an idea as to what circuit has the switch, short or they are wire to?.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote