TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Converter with adjustable charge current?

My Trojan T-125s are at the end of their life, at about 6 years old, and while they've served valiantly, the prospect of almost double the power in a package that is the same size and less than half the weight has always been attractive to me. So when Battle Born had a "blemish" sale last month, and those batteries being a qualifying expense for the federal solar tax credit (I think), I sprang for them. I'm going to put up three 100-watt panels in series, which will either be the 12-pound HQST panels, or the 15-pound Renogy Eclipse panels, which have Sunpower cells and thought to possible produce more current. I've bought both to test, and will install the winner.

I also have an old Parallax converter that I don't think will be compatible with the lithium batteries, though admittedly I have not specifically looked at its charge parameters in comparison to the recommended charge profile published by Battle Born (absorption voltage 14.2-14.6, float 13.4-13.8). But, on the assumption it will have to be changed, I have a bit of a dilemma. If I'm going to go through the time, effort, and expense of changing it, I ideally want to take advantage of the high current charge capabilities of the batteries. But my interest in doing that is purely in case I would ever need to use a generator, which I've never had to do with any regularity, but the faster charge profile would occasionally come in handy. So if I could continue to use the Parallax, I probably would, though not at the risk of not providing optimum charge parameters for those pricey batteries.

My bank of 2 batteries will be able to accept a charge current 100 amps, and while I certainly don't need to go that high, even a 50-amp rate would be handy. The problem is that the receptacle I connect the TM to at home is not, shall I say, a robust install, and so isn't equipped to handle much more than a few hundred watts (let's say 500 for extended periods), so I wouldn't really be super comfortable charging at 50 amps.

So -- is anyone familiar with a converter that has an easily adjustable output charge current? I realize it would be an unusual desire.,....I found one, but it's not easily installed in my Parallax bay like the Parallax upgrade kits I see often recommended here on bestconverter.com, nor is the current adjustment feature easily accessible (https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-CO.../dp/B07N1K43NQ).

I know I'm unlikely to find something, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thanks!
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote