TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
pguidry

Default Hauling a canoe w/ a TM

I have a 2003 Yukon XL for a TV and would like to carry a canoe w/ a TM. Is it best to carry the canoe on top of the truck? I think that's the best place unless I put some type of racks on top of the TM. I'm looking for anyones that has experience with this.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
camp2canoe

We have a 2619 used almost exclusively as a base camp on canoe trips and always carry the canoe(s) on the vehicle. Neither of our vehicles (1990 Suburban or 2003 Ford F150 with topper) have factory racks or rear raingutters so we use a Yakima bar, towers and "landing pads" as the rear carrier and a Spring Creek suction cup rack for the front. If you aren't familiar with the landing pads, they are small clips to install on the roof of the vehicle (either with or without underside access) to which the towers clamp. The rack takes only seconds to remove and the landing pads are very unobtrusive when the rack is removed. If we didn't already own the Spring Creek front rack, we would have used landing pads rather than the gutter mounts on the front as well. They work great and neither vehicle has leaked a drop from rain, pressure carwashes, etc. By carrying the canoe on the vehicle, you can leave the TM at your campsite while running the shuttle. CAMP2CANOE
Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Paul -

This question has been discussed quite often in the last couple years. Try using the SEARCH function on the word "canoe" to find some of it. The general consensus is that you should NOT carry canoes on the roof of the TM. Because it is designed and built for light weight, the roof skin is not strong enough to carry much weight, and you could easily dent it.

In addition, as Camp2Canoe points out, with a canoe on the TM roof, when you reach your campground you can't open the TM until you unload the canoe, which can be a pain if you arrive after dark.

Carry your canoe on your tow vehicle - you'll be happier. I carry a pair of kayaks up there, and it works out quite well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote