TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Reefer on Gas

I very likely have already read the answer to my problem. In our 2000 2619, the fridge performance in gas mode has deteriorated to the point where it is worthless except as a space to store stuff. It works great on AC, but does not cool on gas. I have done about all I can do per the manual troubleshooting guide except for taking out the burner and gas jet. They both appear fine, no spiders, rust, etc. The gas flame seems fine, blue with no yellow. I was intending to get a brush to clean out the flue, but can't believe that that could be my problem. Dometic says to make sure the flue baffle is installed properly. What is "properly". I just stuck the thing back down the flue.

From what many of you have indicated, perhaps I should remove the fridge and turn it upside down and shake it. Is there anything else I should try first?

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Yes, there are whole threads talking about these fridges, and there was a loose wire that didn't let them stay lit on propane. I'm sure someone who's been through this can chime in, but this is where I'd start looking if I were you...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Yes, there are whole threads talking about these fridges, and there was a loose wire that didn't let them stay lit on propane. I'm sure someone who's been through this can chime in, but this is where I'd start looking if I were you...
I believe that the threads referred to above were about Norcold fridges. WildWG's fridge appears to be a Dometic, and he talks about the flame appearing to be fine.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

According to this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0934798702

...a copy of which I have, and recommend to any RV owner who knows how to use a screwdriver, possible causes for insufficient cooling when operating on propane include:
  1. restricted air circulation over cooling unit
  2. refrigerator not level
  3. failed cooling unit
  4. insufficient LP gas
  5. improper LP-gas pressure
  6. feeler point of thermocouple flame-failure device not heated enough by flame
  7. clogged bypass screw, clogged burner head, clogged burner-jet orifice
  8. flue baffle not inserted into central tube of cooling unit
  9. baffle too low in flue
  10. loose burner assembly
  11. improper themostat setting

Seeing as how the fridge operates fine on AC, you can probably safely eliminate causes 1-3. Since you have a nice blue flame, you can probably eliminate 4 and maybe 5.

As far as making sure the baffle is installed correctly.....the baffle is attached to a rod, and on the other end of the rod is a clip. I'm no fridge expert by any means, but I think if that clip is in the hole at the top of the flue tube, then it should be at the correct height, as long as the clip has never been bent out of shape.

The above book has a 30-page chapter on RV fridges, including specific info for Norcold and Dometic reefers.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Bad Reefer

Yeah, there was a day when this title mean't something totally different.

Thanks to you all, particularly Dave, for your advice. I read somewhere about removing the fridge and "burping" it, or shaking it or turning it upside down or something to straighten out the stuff in the coils. Do any of you have experience with this action? If this is advised, where can I find instructions on removing the unit?

I appreciate your help!

WWG
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Glad to help! Burping/shaking/inverting the fridge is a possible fix for a cooling unit blockage. The cooling unit is the maze of tubing (among other things) you see on the back of the fridge. As the name implies, it does all the cooling, but it needs a heat source to work. The heat comes from either a propane flame, or an electric resistor powered by either AC or DC. Since your fridge works on AC, the cooling unit is fine, and thus the burping method will not solve your problem. Burping only has the potential to work when the fridge does not work in any mode (propane, AC or DC).

Even this bad reefer will probably give you a headache.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Bad Reefer

Thanks, Dave. It's some relief to hear that my fridge's cooling unit is probably OK. Since it works on AC, I would assume that there is some problem with my propane burning system such that it is not producing enough heat or whatever. I'll renew my investigation into the gas jet, the burner and the flue. It's beginning to look like "back to the Coleman cooler" on our next camping trip.

WWG
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG View Post
Thanks, Dave. It's some relief to hear that my fridge's cooling unit is probably OK. Since it works on AC, I would assume that there is some problem with my propane burning system such that it is not producing enough heat or whatever. I'll renew my investigation into the gas jet, the burner and the flue. It's beginning to look like "back to the Coleman cooler" on our next camping trip.

WWG
Don't know about yours, but cleaning the flue was the real fix on our Norcold.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
RogerR

We had a propane fridge that had an accumulation of carbon inside the flue. It built up over a period of time. A local LP dealer told us how to clean it with a brass brush. Just be carefull and not to hard on the inside as you do it.