TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
rumbleweed

I use the 65W version of the one you chose. That is an excellent price. Mine came from the same place. These guys are very good and they ship very fast. I carry mine in the back of my PU for multiple uses and even knocked one over once with no damage. When choosing a controller, I suggest getting one larger than your immediate needs should you decide to add panels in the future.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Here are some pics that I just took (didn't come out real good).

The panels are made of glass so I wouldn't suggest stepping on them or dropping tools on them. The frames are double thickness, heavy aluminum frames. You would have to run over them with a truck to damage the frames.

Everything seems to be sealed up very professionally. I see no air bubbles behind the glass or any sloppy soldering.

The main thing is.....they work...

Old 03-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
brulaz

Thanks for the pictures. The panels do look very solid. And the dimensions (36" x 26" x 1.4") might make them more resistant to a twist or bend causing breakage. And the weight (18#) is nice, a little easier to setup.

The 130W Kyocera's I was looking at are almost 2 feet longer (59" x 26") but a bit thicker (1.8") and definitely heavier (29#). The additional thickness is only in the new models as they claim to have beefed up the frame.

Just found this site that compares prices per watt of solar panels:
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm
Thoughts about the site:
- Some pretty low prices there, but most require large quantities.
- The 60W Kaneka panels (Japanese) are very cheap but also heavy (32# per 60W panel) and high voltage (92V Open circuit) which won't work with some MPPT controllers. But they're amorphous Si which I understand to be very sturdy. http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=kaneka_gsa60
- "We prefer not to include any cheaper Chinese solar modules at this time due to quality and after-sale service concerns", hmmm ... guess that's why there's no LaVie.

Decisions, decisions. Luckily it'll be while before we're boondocking, so there's no rush.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Thanks for the pictures. The panels do look very solid. And the dimensions (36" x 26" x 1.4") might make them more resistant to a twist or bend causing breakage. And the weight (18#) is nice, a little easier to setup.

The 130W Kyocera's I was looking at are almost 2 feet longer (59" x 26") but a bit thicker (1.8") and definitely heavier (29#). The additional thickness is only in the new models as they claim to have beefed up the frame.

Just found this site that compares prices per watt of solar panels:
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm
Thoughts about the site:
- Some pretty low prices there, but most require large quantities.
- The 60W Kaneka panels (Japanese) are very cheap but also heavy (32# per 60W panel) and high voltage (92V Open circuit) which won't work with some MPPT controllers. But they're amorphous Si which I understand to be very sturdy. http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=kaneka_gsa60
- "We prefer not to include any cheaper Chinese solar modules at this time due to quality and after-sale service concerns", hmmm ... guess that's why there's no LaVie.

Decisions, decisions. Luckily it'll be while before we're boondocking, so there's no rush.
I don't think the added weight would be in the frame. The frame on these panels are truly very strong. I can't see any reason to beef them up. It would just be added weight with little return.

I think that it may be in thicker glass. Tempered glass is extremely strong when it is thick enough. Try breaking a car window some time. It's hard to do even with a hammer.

If this tempered glass is too thin, it can break fairly easily. That's why I say that I wouldn't step on these thinks or drop tools on them.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDog View Post
Well, based off Wayne's install/"experience so far" thread and his prior solar experience on his boat, I just bought two of them at $209/ea shipped (There was another auction for the same panel that ended 15 minutes later).

I saw the typos (charing instead of charging....let's hope that's not the case), but decided to take a chance.

Time will tell if it works out.

I have some reading to do on install options and am sure I'll be asking Wayne questions

I live a block from the other end of Point Mugu State Park/Sycamore Canyon - - so an 8 mile bike ride delivers me to the Pt Mugu Campground Wayne frequents - If he doesn't mind a vistor, I may ride my bike down to see his install in person )

I'll update my experience on this thread...
It was great to meet MudDog & family @ Pt Mugu this weekend. Jim did a great job of mounting his panels on the forward shell. He also got The MPPT controller and top quality cables. Real nice installation......

Thanks for joining us and hope to see you again some time. I'll let you share your experience with the panels. Your instrumentation is a lot more sophisticated than mine.....
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #16
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Wayne - it was a pleasure meeting you, Carolyn and some of the members of the SCCampers. Your posts have inspired a lot of the things I have done to my TM so far, so it was great to be able to thank you in person.

After winning the panel auction last week I started sourcing all of the other parts and ended up getting:

Morningstart Sunsaver MPPT Controller
w/ Remote Meter Display
w/ Remote Battery Temp Sensor
w/ PC Meterbus Adapter

50' MC-4 M/F Extension Cable and 2 MC-4 Y Connectors (M/M/F & F/F/M)

Solar Panel Rocker Foot Mounts with Tilt Bar from AM-Solar link

#8 wire and 25 amp fuse for the run from the controller to the battery.

The controller arrived on Tuesday. I decided to mount it in the storage area under the dinette seat next to the fresh water tank. I used liquid nails to glue a piece of plywood to the thin cabinet veneer and then mounted the controller to the plywood. I bought a small heater register that I plan to mount below the controller to allow the storage area to vent a bit more than it does now.

I ran #8 wire to the battery and fused the + terminal at the battery with a weather proof blade fuse holder w/25 amp fuse. I also ran the remote temp sensor to the batteries on the tongue. Morningstar recommends the remote temp sensor if the temp at the battery can be greater the 9 degrees +/- different than the controller.

I installed the controller meter display next to the status panel/thermostat below the counter-top at the sink.

While at Home Depot getting the #8 wire, I decided to pick up a thermostat to replace the original. We normally use small electric heaters, but with more dry camping we expect to be using the furnance more. What a difference the thermostat made! Should have done that mod LONG ago.

As I was wrapping up the cabling between the controller and the batteries, the mail arrived with my MC-4 cables and connectors.

I bought one 50' MC-4 extension cable with one male end and one female end. I cut the extension cable in half and connected the cut ends to the controller and ran the ends with the MC4 connectors to the roof following the TM wiring bundle most of the way. On the roof, I then used the two pre-built MC-4 Y adaptors to split the + and - leads in to two.

With the SunSaver MPPT controller, I can run the panels in series (35V, 5 amps) or parallel (17.5 volts, 10 amps). They're currenlty set up in parallel.

We had made reservations at PT Mugu for Friday and Saturday night. Friday evening when I came home from work, both the panel mounts and panels had arrived.

The mounts are two pieces - a mount that attaches to the panel and a bracket that attaches to the roof. They attach together via a bolt with a large twist knob (which can be repalced with a security bolt if needed.) The bracket came with 3M VHB tape already applied to the bottom. The mounts are custom for the panels AM-Solar sells and the hole for bolting the mount to the panel was a little off. I used a drill press to drill new holes in the stainless steel mounts to line up with the holes in my frames.

I then set the panels on the front shell of the roof. Before the drive down to Point Mugu, I detached the brackets from the mounts and removed the panels from the roof to make the trip without putting any stress on the freshly mounted brackets.

We made it into the campground around 9:00 PM. The following morning we lowered the shells and re-mounted the panels. Just after we got the panels installed and connected, Wayne drove up to say Hi and he and Carolyn invited us to a pot luck Saturday night

The only issue I had was with the install was with the contoller meter display. It was powering up, but the LCD display was stuck on some kind of diagnostic code and none of the keys were working. It turned out to be a bad RJ11 cable. We went to Staples and bought a phone cord and re-ran the connection and the display has worked fine since.

The optional PC Adapter lets you capture the controller logs and customize the settings using your PC and software called MSView. The default settings are fine, but you can optimize the settings based off your particular batteries and the mfg recommendations for those batteries. I've gathered the information from Interstate's site, but have not yet customized the controller settings.

Pt Mugu gets full sun nearly all day and the controller indicated as much (I was getting the full 17.5V/10amps with a gradual slope downward leading to sundown).

We mainly ran the heater, lights and waterpump Friday and Saturday night. During the day, the batteries were quickly brought back to full charger and I arrived home today with a full charge. The 3M tape also held up against the wind gusts that hit last night and the drive home

I plan to get a Xantrex LinkLite to be able to really read the battery bank like a fuel gauge and an inverter to be able to use some A/C devices.

At this point, all I can say is the panels did arrive in a timely manner and they are creating the rated volts and amps in the ideal conditions at Pt. Mugu - So, so far I'm pleased.

Will try to get some pictures of my install to post and will update my experience as we camp in different places with different conditions.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Jim&Joan

Is your intention to leave the panels mounted permanently?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Yes - I plan to leave the panels mounted on the roof, but can easily remove them for cleaning, roof re-calking or golfball size hail-storms

Between the MC-4 quick connectors and the large twist knobs on the mounts they are easy to remove. For some security, I'm thinkiing of attaching one additional bracket in the middle of the leading edge of each of the frames and drilling a hole thru the bracket and the frame that I could stick a small pad-lock thru. Won't stop someone really determined, but might hinder the opportunistic thief if I'm parked in a lot somewhere eating lunch.

The back of my TM (2619) didn't seem to have enough room when the TM is folded down and there were a lot of potential shadows from AC/vents along the sides.

Lifting the front shell with the panels mounted was a bit harder (panels added about 37 lbs) - so next time I have it out, I may try to adjust the torsion a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
Is your intention to leave the panels mounted permanently?

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

MudDog - What did the whole package set you back?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I went with a few more bells and whistles than Wayne did (and didn't get a free controller )

Total (with tax and shipping was right about $1k

2 80 Watt Panels - $418
MPPT Controller with LCD Display, Battery Temp Sensor and PC Adapter $358
50' MC-4 Extension and 2 MC-4 Y Connectors - $58
2 sets Rocker Mounts with Optional Tilt Bars - $170
25' #8 wire and fuse - ?

Current: