TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Redhawk

Default How does the newer Tacoma do?

I like the size and a bit better MPG's of the mid size pick em ups, my main concern would be if I loaded my 700lb ATV in the bed and took the TM camping in the mountains....would the power of 242 HP be enough.
Probably only happen 2 or 3 times a year, and I can tolerate 30 mph up the pass if needed. Just want to be safe and no excessive wear and tear on the truck. And what MPG do you see towing/highway?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

John -

"Excessive wear and tear on the truck" is difficult to define, difficult to detect at the moment it is occurring, and difficult to quantify. If you travel at 30 mph up a steep grade and don't let it lug, I don't think the engine will be overstressed. The (automatic) transmission is another story. At low speed, they tend to overheat, and unless you get a Scan Gauge or an Interceptor or something similar, you have no way of detecting this until a warning light flashes on - and then it is too late.

Perhaps even worse is when the tranny overheats but the light does not come on. Everything seems fine. But a tranny that would otherwise have lasted 150,000 miles now fails at 100,000 miles. That's expensive, that's excessive - but it will happen years down the road, and you'll never even know that the failure was early, let alone what contributed to the failure.

My suggestion, as always, is to get a gauge if you are going to tow in the mountains, or if you are going to tow with a marginally-rated vehicle. Having spent $30,000 on a tow vehicle, it seems a false economy not to spend another $150 for a gauge.

But that's just me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I like the size and a bit better MPG's of the mid size pick em ups, my main concern would be if I loaded my 700lb ATV in the bed and took the TM camping in the mountains....would the power of 242 HP be enough.
Probably only happen 2 or 3 times a year, and I can tolerate 30 mph up the pass if needed. Just want to be safe and no excessive wear and tear on the truck. And what MPG do you see towing/highway?

Thanks!
700#+ of cargo plus passengers, fuel and around 400# of tongue wt would be asking a lot of that Tacoma I think.

Check the RR axle rating, payload rating etc. Be realistic about the additional weight. Not many people take an ATV without taking a couple hundred pounds of extra gear.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Scott O

We pull our 2720 with our '05 Tacoma with absolutely no issues, at least none that I am aware of! We go most anywhere there is pavement and have no problems with hills. Mileage while towing is difficult to define, but near as I can tell it is basically the same as I get in mixed driving around town without the TM, 16-17 +/-. I do have a ScanGuage which I find very useful, but it does not measure trans temp. I just checked with them and that was the answer. In general, the Tacoma is a delightful truck, and the 4x4 just makes it that much more fun.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Redhawk

I went by and checked the Tacoma...big problem with width between the wheel wells, Atv needs about 50", Tacoma has 46". They did have a '06 Tundra though ! Still thinking about that one...trying to stay out of debt, but it's a nice truck!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I offer this as an apples and oragns comparison.

for 4 years I sorta bragged that I did not have any use for a WD hitch when towing with my 1500HD truck. It only saggged 5/8 inch at the rear bumper by hooking up the TM, not counting cargo in the bed of the truck.

Then we added two motorcycles. My WR250R weighs around 290 pounds. My son's Honda 250 weighs a bit less. Probably 250. So I added 550 pounds o motorcycles, plus stand, tools, spare parts. That resulted in enough sag that I could no longer remove the wheel from the front of the TM, because it was sagging so low.

Now with the 2500HD, it is stiff enough that it does not sag enough.

It is my theory that any truck that sags as much as a 1500HD will need a WD hitch if you start loading motorcycles or ATVs in the bed of the truck.

I have no idea how a Tacoma compares to a Chevy 1500HD.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Scott O

I envy you Wayne, as I no longer have to worry about putting any kind of off-road vehicle in my truck. Wife has decided I am too old for such frivolity! Of course, she still lets be take a 16 pound road bicycle... As an ex-desert racer, that really doesn't compare to cracking the throttle on a 450cc dirt bike.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
kurtbert

Default How does the newer Tacoma do?

I'd like to hear from anyone who pulls a larger TM in the mountains with a Tacoma. We have a 2009 with tow package and are looking at a 24/31 or a 26/33. No ATVs, motorcycles, etc., but enough stuff for months on the road. Do we need a separate trans gauge?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
ragmopp

I live at 5000 feet and routinely go up and down the Sierras. No problems towing my 2720sl whatsoever. Now, no transmission gauge as it is a six speed (someone else can speak to that), but I doubt you will have any issues pulling with this, properly setup, truck.

Mike Anderson
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Redhawk

I found a decent deal on a really clean '06 Tundra. This is our first truck, but am liking it a lot so far. Can't wait to load it up and hit the road! Thanks for the replies.