TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
KB7OUR

Default Grilling on a TM gas stove?

Anyone have any suggestions for a grill surface that will work on top of the gas stove burners so you can do grilling for burgers, dogs, steaks, etc? I'm gettin' hungry.

Wade
Old 02-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
jbowen

Default Re: Grilling on a TM gas stove?

Wade , are you referring to a slotted grill or a solid griddle? When I think of a grill I visualize something that leaves hash marks on meat when you cook over an open flame. If you want the solid type, QVC had an 18" by 10" for approximately $39.00.  It is a hard anodized and works very well inside. It fits over two burners.  How's Macy?  Mooch said to tell her he has his own 3023 now so she doesn't have to worry about sharing hers.  I gave my husband your fun to do list and he wants you to back off. lol  Seriously, you have put great thought into your projects and have made it easier for the rest of us.  Thanks.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:47 AM   #3
arknoah

Regarding this request, if folks were to purchase some kind of grill-thing for the stove, would there be a problem using it because the stove isn't vented?  I just wonder about smoke issues.  Our unit fairly large, yet we can easily set off the smoke alarm when cooking.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:54 AM   #4
Bruce

This is one of the great features of the Fantastic Fan. You can use it as a power vent to exhaust cooking smoke or odor.

Bruce
Old 03-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
2619PDX

Wade:
I bought a two sided, non-stick coated grill from Camping World. One side cooks meats, with the raised slats, and for cooking say, pancakes, you can flip it over to the flat side. Covers two burners. Can also be used on an outdoor b b que.

It works great too! Just turn on your fantastic power fan, to high. Works great!

Hope that helps!

Gregg
Old 03-04-2003, 12:37 AM   #6
KB7OUR

Gregg,

I just bought a small grill topper yesterday. It's apx. a 12 inch square with rounded corners and fits over a single burner rather than across two. Has a flat griddle on one side and a raised one for grilling on the other. Just the size I was looking for. Well, back to finishing up another TM project today -- adding a holding tank heater for winter camping. We're heading to Chiricahua National Monument for Spring Break this coming weekend. Should be fun.

Wade
Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 AM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Wade,

What brand is the topper you bought?

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:03 AM   #8
2619PDX

Wade:
You might add a post about your holding tank heater. Are you heating the gray water or the freshwater, or both?

That's right, your spring break is earlier than ours is here.

Enjoy your trip. I was down in Tucson 2 weeks ago and it was pretty pleasant weather wise, Do you really need the heater?

Gregg
Old 03-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
KB7OUR

Gregg,

The heater is for the holding tank, since it resides outside the TM. It is wired for both 12V and AC power. I'll use it in freezing temps like in Apr after the ice breaks on the trout lakes in the White Mountains ;D. Temps can be in the teens that time of year. My fresh water tank is under the couch and the TM heater is mounted close by so no need to heat that too. I finished a couple of projects this week, the heater being one of them (not wired to 12V yet). I also added an electric jack (very easy), and finally got my dual 12V batteries wired with heavier cables. Getting used to how the Xantrex e-meter works and I like it a lot. It will be very useful for managing power while boondocking. The weather should be low 70's by the weekend so hopefully Bonita Canyon will be reasonable for our trip next week. Happy TM-ing.

Wade
Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 AM   #10
2619PDX

Temps in the low 70's? Brrrr! That's snow suit weather for you guys!

Man, Electric tongue jack and holding tank heater too? Man, what luxury. Good idea's though.

I've considered the holding tank heater. We need that up here in Oregon...

Am now debating whether to go to dual 6V batteries OR a solar set up. Not sure of what the battery bank requirements would be though...

Thought about saying hi while in Arizona, but it was an unplanned trip - Dad's death - and never got the chance to think too much about it. Sorry.

Hey, let us know how your trip in your Luxury TM goes next week.

When do you add the feather beds?

Gregg