TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2002, 10:50 AM   #11
2619PDX

Default Re: Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

Wow... You guys are trouble, you know that? :
I just got my TM this summer, but here goes...
1) installed speaker and antenna outlet above refrig for portable SW radio use inside TM.
2) completed hands free shower upgrade. (expandable 1" shower curtain rod, wall mount portable shower head holder attached to 2, shovel/broom handle clips with ss hardware...) Works great!
3) Microwave oven stand on top of counter next to wardrobe... w/ac outlet cutout.
4) Installed stove top cover...
5) Installed LP tank cover kit - w/access door.
6) Installed portable water purifier on kitchen sink.
7) Installed several well placed towell hooks in bathroom...
8) Installed LP gas tee for B-bq...
9) Installed mud flaps on tow vehicle.
10) Caulking never stops...

Still to do... Still to do...
1) Add Max-Aire vent covers (Spring/summer)
2) Add water heater by-pass...
3) Shower curtain replacement...
4) Add dual 6 volt batteries...
5) Add battery isolator/disconnect.
6) Water pump replacement??? Maybe...
7) Install interior LP gas level monitor...
8) Continue caluking... :-/

That's all for now!

Happy Holidays!

Gregg
Old 12-16-2002, 01:31 PM   #12
KB7OUR

Gregg, et al,

I thought this thread might be a fun one to read and I was not disappointed. You all are killin' me with all the neat additional ideas I'll have to add to my todo list.  :-X :-X

Gregg , since I bought the TM microwave drawer my solution to get to the AC outlet with the drawer in place was to purchase a 2' flat headed plug with attached flat extension that slips nicely between the drawer and outlet and up thru the counter gap to the microwave plug. Works well for anyone who may not want to cut thru the drawer. I need to find some places to mount towel hooks, or ideally, a few towel racks, in the bathroom that won't intefere with the folded walls.  

Wade
Old 12-17-2002, 10:09 AM   #13
2619PDX

Wade, et al:
I hadn't thought of the short, flat plug adapter... Good idea!
Don't complain about your list growing!   You're the one who started it!  :
Hey, and we're glad you did!
Oh, appreciate your input on the maxaire vents...
Come spring time, I'll let you know how it goes...

GRegg
Old 12-19-2002, 02:33 AM   #14
hal

Being that our family has enjoyed using several tent type  trailers over the years we have always found ways in which to make our trailers more compatible with our fun.  It seems there was always something we could do to our trailer.  Then came the TrailManor.  This was such a change for us as everything seemed to be in place already.  We really had to search to create innnovations to this new life style.  Realizing that the TrailManor is regarded as the next step in a line of succession from a tent trailer, it was  a huge leap for us.

Over the past couple years, we have been able to make some subtle but very useful changes in our TrailManor.
     1- installed a lever type kitchen faucet.

2- replaced the clock (Walmart) with a one that matches the wood grain cabinet and            attached it to a hinge so that we can change batteries and reset the time more easily.      Two small pieces of matching velcro serve as a latch, keeping it from swing open.

3- Replaced the “slippery” round door knobs with lever type knobs. (Great for            opening by arthritic hands and also an elbow when arms are loaded.)

4- Installed a 110 volt outlet under the table. (for toaster, light, etc. on table)

5- Installed a mirror on iside of door on clothes cabinet.

6- Created a chain light which hangs over our table (2720) and works off 12 volt
     electricity.  The bulb is a 12 volt flourescent equal to a 75 watt tungsten but use only            25% of the battery.

7- Installed two 12 volt night lights (used automobile licence plate lights available for            about $5.00 each from auto parts store. (One near to stove and one in bathroom)              The use so little energy that we even have them on at night when dry camping.

8-Built a microwave shelf (also available from TrailManor) that includes an easily
     accesible 110 volt outlets.

9-Created a fold up style screen door that rolls up and fits into a mailer.  It has a PVC      frame and installs on the top of the bottom door.

10 Installed battery powered “moon lights”  (you’ve seen them advertised on tv)            inside our cabinets, clothes closet, and rear storage compartment.

11- installed outlet in hallway near rear bed (for clock and electric blanket.

12- Installed hanger and ran a gas line to side of trailer to use gas stove outside.              Also made a folding table that attaches to this bracket.

13- Made 12 volt extension light that hangs under awning or wherever you want it            hung. It plugs into 12volt recepticle.  Can be lengthened by adding 12 volt                  extension wire from Radio Schack.

14-Retrofitted our wheel wells.

15- Custom fit a plastic bottle cover.

16- Best of all. .... is our hands free shower/soap dispenser.  It really makes taking a            shower in the trailer pleasureable.  There’s nothing like stepping out of the shower            and into your private living room.

Actually, I have to admit the best thing we ever did with our Trailmanor was to use it.

Hal
Old 12-19-2002, 04:24 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One project I forgot to mention. At my house, I have easy access to the main sewer line where it drops down out of the living spaces and into the ground. I installed a Y in the line, and ran 3 inch PVC sewer pipe from the arm of the Y to a point just outside the house and near the driveway. At the end of the run, I installed a 90-degree elbow and a riser to bring it an inch above ground level. Terminated the riser with a screw-on cap (not a cleanout plug, though that might have done as well). Everything to code, proper slope, etc.

Now, if I am forced to drive home without emptying the tanks, I can dump at home. Sure beats searching for a dump station (and paying the fee) after a spell of dry camping.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #16
KB7OUR

Bill,

Now this is another great idea I can use at home. We have 2 sewer traps in our front yard close to the house (desert landscaping). The long driveway runs across the front of our house from one side to the other so I can park the TM within perhaps 20' of the traps. I can't leave exposed PVC across the yard so I'll have to make a drain line using a couple of 10' PVC pieces and some elbows that can be easily broken down. I can visualize how a setup like yours would work very well and eliminate worries about dumping before coming home. This is a definite future inexpensive project for me. Thanks for the idea. And to think that I purchased a 25 gal tote to accomplish the same thing...makes me want to cry :'(.

Wade
Old 12-26-2002, 07:34 AM   #17

Hal,

Any chance of sending a picture of the fold up screen that you made for your door?   :-/

Or maybe explain how you made it.  My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks,
Pat
Old 12-26-2002, 12:46 PM   #18
hal

Pat,

I haven't been able to place photos or artwork on this site for some time now.  By now  you should have received a picture through your email address.

Hal
Old 12-27-2002, 01:32 AM   #19
Bruce

Pat,
Do a search on this site for screen door or else email Hal Swanson at [email protected]
He was selling good detailed screen door plans for $5 which also included instructions for making a hanging shower head holder and soap dispenser.

Bruce Martin
Old 12-31-2002, 08:19 AM   #20
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Default http://homRe: Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

Quote:

I need to find some places to mount towel hooks, or ideally, a few towel racks, in the bathroom that won't intefere with the folded walls.

Wade
Wade,

I just updated my webpage at:

http://home.attbi.com/~trailmanor/

Click on "TM Modifications" and then "Towel Bar/Rack".

I found this towel rack very useful and it hangs over the bathroom walls very nicely.

Rick

RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote