TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
rdbres

Question Toyota Highlander and TM: Can it be done?

I read (and tried to understand) the info in this forum on Highlanders and TM, but admit I still don't know if we should buy a new 2619 since we have an '08 Highlander Sport with tow package. Toyota indicates GCWR is only 6,000#, which is inadequate for a loaded 2619 and the SUV (loaded, over 4,000#). I come up with over 9,000# when combining loaded SUV and TM. Doesn't sound like we will be able to join the ranks of TM owners. Sigh. Any hope out there?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
rdbres

Question Highlander and 2619: possible?

I also posted this question in the "Tow Rig" section, but just in case, here's a repeat: Can an '08 Highlander Sport with tow package pull a new 2619? GCWR, according to Toyota, is 6,000#, which is inadequate (loaded SUV and TM = over 9,000#). Did I get this wrong? Is there yet hope for us to buy a TM?

[Moderator note: Duplicate posts are not a good idea. Please avoid doing it.]
Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbres View Post
I read (and tried to understand) the info in this forum on Highlanders and TM, but admit I still don't know if we should buy a new 2619 since we have an '08 Highlander Sport with tow package. Toyota indicates GCWR is only 6,000#, which is inadequate for a loaded 2619 and the SUV (loaded, over 4,000#). I come up with over 9,000# when combining loaded SUV and TM. Doesn't sound like we will be able to join the ranks of TM owners. Sigh. Any hope out there?
Can't speak for the '08, as I'm going by the info on the Toyota website for the '09... but generally speaking, WITH FACTORY TOWING PACKAGES, the V6 is rated at 5000 lbs, the 4cyl is rated at 3500 lbs, and the hybrid is rated at 3500 lbs. Given this info, the V6 is the only option IMHO as I would never attempt to tow anything with a 4cyl, much less the very marginal 3500 lb TC. (Most vehicles with 4cyl engines have a 1500 lb TC.)

Many of today's SUVs and crossovers are not really "trucks" at all. They are merely "cars" with "truck" bodies on top.
This is visually appealing to most these days, but doesn't change the fact that they are more or less, still cars.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Also understand where you want to go.

I tried towing an ATV trailer behind my 1997 Dodge Dakota truck, with a v6 and did not like it. The trailer weighed around 2,000 pounds.

But, I was towing uphill in the Sierras above 5,000 feet. On flat ground at sea level it was fine.

I now tow the ATV trailer with a 1500HD crew cab truck and I no longer have a performance problem, I have a fuel economy problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
TraceyMac

RDBres,
I think your confusion comes from the different terms you are seeing. The Toyota site lists the GVWR as 5800 lbs (6000 lbs if it is a 4WD). This is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and represents the maximum that your truck, it's contents, and trailer tongue weight may be. The GVWR does not include the weight of the trailer, other than the tongue weight. So, your 5800 lbs does not have to cover the bulk of the trailer weight.

There is a very good explanation at the following Toyota site of the different elements that make up the tow ratings:
http://www.toyota.com/highlander/specs.html
Follow the links for the documents labeled Part 1, 2, and 3

It looks like a Highlander Sport with the tow package is good for a 5000 lb towing capacity. I don't want to start a firestorm by suggesting that means you can tow 5000 lbs safely - there are plenty of posts here about whether or not to leave a safety margin, but suffice to say, if you stay under 5800 lbs GVWR and keep the trailer below 5000 lbs, all other things being equal, you will be within the truck's specifications. Note that the empty weight of the Highlander is just over 4000 lbs, so you have almost 1800 lbs of vehicle load and tongue weight before you exceed the CVWR.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Redhawk

Hello rd, I tow a 2619 with my '08 Highlander Sport and it does well. You got your numbers a bit mixed up I think. Some are hard to find. We tow in Colorado in high altitude and I have been surprised how well it does do. I may get some of these terms mixed up, but others here are very good at explaining it. The weights I list are from memory, so I'm sure they are off +/- 100lbs. Sorry....
Highlander tow rating (with tow pkg) is 5000# I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'm guessing the TM is between 3500 and 4000 loaded. Has A/C, Solar, Cabinets, awning, 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks, etc.
The max weight the HL can carry is 6200# this would be HL (4250 lbs)+occupants, tongue weight and supplies.
The combined weight rating I found was approx 9250 lbs.
After all my figuring, and using worse case scenarios, I only had about 400 lbs head room when accounting for my DW, myself equipment and loaded TM, so we DO have to watch our loading. I don't fill the fresh water tank with more then 5 gallons and fill up once we reach the camp site or area, and load the HL as light and balanced as possible. You get the idea.

You DEFINITLY need a WDH, so figure that in. Night and day difference, not an option for safety and handlings sake. Also, what part of the country do you live and plan to tow in on a regular basis? That can make a huge difference as well.

The main message I'd like to get across is that it will work....may take some planning, but you'll have a blast! It tows like a dream. I know of other 08 HL's that tow bigger TM's and are happy. Go for it!!!

FYI...I recently towed the TM over Cottonwood pass outside Buena Vista CO, tops out at about 12,500 feet and is mostly a 10% grade. I could easily hold 40 mph without strain, if not for the switch back curves. And like you'll read here in MANY posts, the worry/challenge for me was going DOWN hill, the HL transmission in the "manual" mode is made for this and was a saviour!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You might want to get the correct GCWR and put all of the other specs in this handy calculator. It's great.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

That way you will have the real facts and no opinions......

I believe that the # that you quoted for your GCWR may be wrong (I hope)....
Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
rdbres

Thank you all for your replies to my concerns about buying a 2619. We made the purchase today! It is wonderful to join the ranks of TM owners.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Al-n-Sue

Welcome to the TM family. I know you will enjoy your camper.

This forum will provide you with lots of information - I suggest you go ahead and convert your trial membership to a "Site Sponsor" - only $12 a year. That's $1 a month for unlimited help and information! The "sponsor" model helps us avoid having a site with lots of ads. (I've been on a few ad supported forums and it is somewhat cumbersome to navigate!)

BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods next month for the Balloon Fiesta. We have friends who recently moved to Placitas and we are actually camping in their yard - since there are certainly no hotels or camping spots available at this late date!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
MrTriVan

There's a good review of the Highlander's towing capabilities at:

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1675315
MrTriVan is offline   Reply With Quote