TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
gocntry

Question OK to increase tire pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
take a look at the sidewall of the truck's tires, and find the Max Allowable Pressure. Inflate the tires to a couple psi below this. The stiffer tires may make the ride better. In my Explorer, I think I increase the pressure from 35 psi (comfort) to 40-42 psi (Max is 44). I hope that Bobby (wmtire) will chime in on this particular thought.
Bill
I Upgraded / Upsized The Tires On My Chevy Tahoe To 34 x 11.50's They Are An "E" Rated Tire With A Max Of 80 Psi.

I'm Currently Running Them At 45 Psi. Think I Should Run Them Up To About 60 Psi Or So ?? Any Thoughts On That?

I Don't Mind My Truck Being A Bit Stiff And Driving Like A Truck. I Just Feel That 80 Psi Was A Bit Extreme.

BTW The Tahoe Empty With Just Me And A Full Tank Of Gas Tips The Scales At 5900 Lbs.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
I Upgraded / Upsized The Tires On My Chevy Tahoe To 34 x 11.50's They Are An "E" Rated Tire With A Max Of 80 Psi. I'm Currently Running Them At 45 Psi. Think I Should Run Them Up To About 60 Psi Or So ?? Any Thoughts On That?
I'm very surprised that a Tahoe would experience porpoising on any but the worst road. That is a long and relatively heavy truck.

If you are indeed experiencing porpoising, it couldn't hurt to try raising the tire pressure. Try the values you suggest, moving up from 45 to 60 psi. If you have a piece of road that causes the problem, try running the pressure up to 60 psi, drive 10 miles, then turn aournd, lower the pressure to 45 psi, and drive back.

It also occurs to me that soft shocks might contribute to porpoising. Though I never owned one, I'm old enough to remember those great big ferryboat luxury cars (Lincolns, Caddys, and so forth) that the "old folks" drove. You could drive over an acorn in one of those, and the back end would bob up and down for a full minute. Talk about a soft ride! I doubt that this is the Tahoe's problem, though.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm very surprised that a Tahoe would experience porpoising on any but the worst road.
Bill
Bill,

I Guess I Misunderstood.. I Do Not Experience "Porpoising" At All,

I Was Just Wondering About The Air Pressure In The Tires. I Didn't Know If Running Them At Half The Stated Pressure On The Sidewall Was Bad Or Not.

Was Just Wondering If I Should Up The Pressure More Than I Was Running Now.

I Do Need To Replace The Factory Shocks On It But I Need To Special Order Some New Bilstein Shocks That Are 2" Longer Than The Factory Ones.

Here Are Before And After Of The Tahoe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1746.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	3846   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1842.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	3847