TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I push ours around in the garage all the time on the tongue wheel. I don't see any reason for using a special tongue dolly. What am I missing here???
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
JOEALAN

Default Pulling brake (emerency) wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I used the Harbor freight model until I needed to move the TM to an unpaved area. This required a powermover. The HF will work OK on a very level paved driveway. One suggestion tie a string to the safety release cable and run it loosely back to the handle of the dolly. This way if the TM gets rolling and you can't stop it you can activate the brakes by pulling the string
If you pull emergency brake wire how do you reset and release brake?
Anyone out there ever used their emergency brake wire and knows how to reset.

Joe S.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
If you pull emergency brake wire how do you reset and release brake?
Anyone out there ever used their emergency brake wire and knows how to reset.

Joe S.
Just plug the wire back into the switch. That disconnects the brakes.

If you leave that insert out of the switch, it will run your battery down.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
M&M Hokie

I found that the tongue wheel jack is hard to use when you want to turn the thing on a dime. I have to lower the tongue until the stabilizer jacks take the load so I can pivot the tongue wheel. With the dolly you can change the direction of push and pull at any time. Then again, the tongue jack/wheel on my TM is a POS. I think they installed an old one that was laying around the lot because it sure looks a lot older than the rest of the trailer. I am also steering the TM into the garage in such a manner as to have maximum room for the van parked next to her. If the TM was the only thing I was parking in there, I wouldn't need the precision and would probably not need the dolly.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
jferrarello

Phil,

I've used both the Harbor Freight manual dolly and an electric dolly. This was necessitated by the fact that we have less than 4" of clearance on either side between the TM and the gate posts on our fence. So while I can back the TM into the space, it's still too small for the tow vehicle to fit with mirrors out and as you know, backing a trailer without side mirrors is not happening. So I can only get it so far back and then need to unhitch and roll it.

We started out with the manual dolly (which I still have and if you're anywhere near Denver, I'll give it to you) but since I have a heart condition and a slight slope to the driveway, it was just too strenuous on hot days to feel safe. So we bought an electric dolly from www.powermoverinc.net and are happy to have it as it makes the task quite easy.

Basically, if your driveway/garage is perfectly flat, you should get along fine with the cheapy. If you have even a slight slope, you might still get away with it, but you'll want to be careful and I would also recommend hanging on to your emergency brake cable. But if you have much of a slope, you might consider taking the load off and getting an electric dolly.

Power Mover and Power Caster are the only two brands I know of and I opted for the Power Mover because I felt like they had a bit better deal for the money but I'm sure they're both fine.

Good luck and watch your toes!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrarello View Post
Phil,

I've used both the Harbor Freight manual dolly and an electric dolly. This was necessitated by the fact that we have less than 4" of clearance on either side between the TM and the gate posts on our fence. So while I can back the TM into the space, it's still too small for the tow vehicle to fit with mirrors out and as you know, backing a trailer without side mirrors is not happening. So I can only get it so far back and then need to unhitch and roll it.

We started out with the manual dolly (which I still have and if you're anywhere near Denver, I'll give it to you) but since I have a heart condition and a slight slope to the driveway, it was just too strenuous on hot days to feel safe. So we bought an electric dolly from www.powermoverinc.net and are happy to have it as it makes the task quite easy.

Basically, if your driveway/garage is perfectly flat, you should get along fine with the cheapy. If you have even a slight slope, you might still get away with it, but you'll want to be careful and I would also recommend hanging on to your emergency brake cable. But if you have much of a slope, you might consider taking the load off and getting an electric dolly.

Power Mover and Power Caster are the only two brands I know of and I opted for the Power Mover because I felt like they had a bit better deal for the money but I'm sure they're both fine.

Thank you for the reply,

This is the information I need. My driveway is virtually flat so I have ordered a hand dollie. Thank you for the offer of your old hand dollie but I am a long way from Denver - in PA. I will, however, be spending the next summer in the National Parks out west.

Take care and happy trails.

Thank you again,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
Philip

Default Thanks To Everyone For All Your Help

To Everyone,

Once again this forum has proved its worth and allowed me to make an intellegent decision. I have purchased a hand dollie for my needs.

Again, thanks to everyone,

Phil Friess

2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2720 TM, Prodigy, WDH and now a hand dollie(LOL!!)
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
JOEALAN

Default Which model power dolly are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrarello View Post
Phil,

Good day Joe,

I'm very interested in the power caster. I would like to know which model you settle on. My garage is flat but I do have a small incline in driveway.I'm looking into the electrical unit.

Joe S
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
JOEALAN

Default Brake emergency wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Just plug the wire back into the switch. That disconnects the brakes.

If you leave that insert out of the switch, it will run your battery down.
Thank you very much for the info. Had no idea.

Joe S.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
rumbleweed

Not sure about the powercaster, but the powermover has a TV connector on it you can plug the TM into and activate the brakes at will via a switch on the control box.