TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Shelley Glassgow

Default Can brake controller affect shift lever?

I just traded a jeep liberty for a nissan pathfinder. I had the brake controller removed from the jeep and installed on the pathfinder. It seems difficult to get the car out of park now. It makes a jerking motion and sounds pretty loud too as if it's popping out of gear. The jeep sometimes reacted in the same way. Is this normal when you add a controller or is it possible that it needs to be readjusted in some way? It was fine until they put the controller on today.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Steverino

What kind of controller is it? Does the behavior happen only with the trailer connected, or all the time (with or without trailer)?

With an electronic controller (like the Prodigy), at the moment I can't envision how it would impact the transmission selector at all.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Shelley Glassgow

steverino,
I bought my jeep liberty and my 3023 TM together. The brake controller was already installed and I don"t have any paperwork on it. It says Draw Tite on the front of the controller.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like Steverino, I can't imagine how an electronic controller would affect the transmission selector. The only connection between the controller and the rest of the vehicle is a connection to the tow vehicle's brake lights.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Steverino

Um, something went goofy with this thread...?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sure did. Let me see if I can piece it together again. 'Pologies to all who were following it.

Bill

[I think we're back? Yes? No? Anyway, thanks for flagging it, Steve]
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Don't have a wiring diagram for your TV, but in some vehicles, the brake light switch is used to signal you have the brake on and activates the relay that allows you to shift out of park. Some electronic brake controllers use the same signal to tell the controller the brakes have been applied ( some use inertia) . If the wiring for the controller is not correct or has a bad ground, it could short or lower the signal to the relay which allows you to get out of park, Who installed the controller in the new vehicle? How is it grounded?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Shelley Glassgow

I took the pathfinder to a reputable business in town. They install just about everything for vehicles. I have no idea how it is grounded. I plan to take it back on Mon. and let them look at it again. I'll let you know.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Don't have a wiring diagram for your TV, but in some vehicles, the brake light switch is used to signal you have the brake on and activates the relay that allows you to shift out of park. Some electronic brake controllers use the same signal to tell the controller the brakes have been applied ( some use inertia) . If the wiring for the controller is not correct or has a bad ground, it could short or lower the signal to the relay which allows you to get out of park, Who installed the controller in the new vehicle? How is it grounded?
If they tapped into that wire, that's the wrong wire. They should have tapped into the "Brake light Wire".
Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
rumbleweed

Wayne

Thanks for clarification
You said what I meant to say