TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
WI pair

Default Where's the jack??!!

Concerned that a jack was not included with Elkmont. Gosh, what if we had had a flat. That should be standard equipment. The dealer we bought ours from doesn't even carry a bottle jack, the one that was recommended.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

As far as I know a jack is not part of the equipment on any TM. I just bought a 2 ton bottle jack at Sears last week. $14. Also make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit the TM wheels - I found out the trailers typically have a different size lug nut than most cars or trucks!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
kenngeri2720

I think that is something lacking with all RV manufactures, I bought a six ton at Wal-Mart that goes to 16 ½ “. That is not enough to jack the Elkmont with it’s 15” tires off the ground. That being said you will need some wood or as I did the lynx leveler to set the jack on. Remember to jack close to the axel, but not under it. One last thing is that once you have the wheels off the ground your stabilizers will not touch the ground so you will need to put some of the Lynx under those as well. Sounds like a lot of extra gear, but should make it safer.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Not sure what model / year you have, but the Lug size is most likely 13/16. Suggest a T handle as it gives you leverage on lugs that may be stuck. when choosing a bottle jack, make sure it will extend enough to lift the TM high enough to get the tire back on. Don't depend on the jack in your TV
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
jhill30

I agree, should be standard equipment. But on the other hand, who has ever owned a trailer of any kind that a jack came with it?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
PopBeavers

When we had a flat last summer with the TM 2720 I just used the corner jacks on that side.

Not sure about the Elkmont.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
RogerR

We had two flats with our 14 inch marathons on the interstate. Both times I couldn't get the trailer up far enough with the corner jacks. I did use the car scissors jack which almost every car and a stack of timber. I also carry an X-bar for the lug nuts.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We carry a floor jack and a bottle jack and lots of wood blocks of different sizes. We've had to scrounge for boards, rocks, etc. on the side of the road for a bit more height one too many times. One time we had to use big lava rocks to jack up our truck with a camper on it. That was scary. We do have Good Sam but I don't want to sit on the side of a road waiting for someone to come help us for 3 hours, I just want to change the tire and get on with the trip.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Scott O

If you have skirts covering the wheel wells, be sure to get the goofy (not a technical term!) screw driver needed to get it off.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
voyager2

Material included with our Elkmont specifically warns against using the trailer jacks for changing a tire. We also purchased a big bottle jack and cut lots of wood blocks. The Elkmont jacks are listed as "stabilizer only". Also, the first thing we did was throw away those fender skirt screws and replace them with stainless steel phillips head screws. You can always find a phillips screwdriver!