TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
robertkennel

Wayne,
I stand corrected Robert
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
rumbleweed

Just because you see someone else doing it doesn't mean you should. See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	3728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3729  
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Nature Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Just because you see someone else doing it doesn't mean you should. See attached photos.
OH MY! how can they steer that? And I am thinking CO Fumes from the exhaust should be high on the concerns list too.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Redhawk

LOL...may be above his GCWR too!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
moaboy

I tow a 2009.5 2720 with a 2000 Honda Odyssey and it tows fine, but I don't think I'd want to tow any more weight.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Shelley Glassgow

Smile

I recently had a jeep liberty with a 5000 lb tow capacity and pulled a 3023. It was ok if you were on smaller roads, but on the interstate, there were times when I thought that it may not be very safe. I would really have to hang onto the jeep when a big rig passed me. It would cause a nasty sway. I just traded the jeep for a nissan pathfinder. It has a 6000 tow capacity .I am hoping that the longer wheelbase will make towing easier.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Glassgow View Post
I recently had a jeep liberty with a 5000 lb tow capacity and pulled a 3023. It was ok if you were on smaller roads, but on the interstate, there were times when I thought that it may not be very safe. I would really have to hang onto the jeep when a big rig passed me. It would cause a nasty sway. I just traded the jeep for a nissan pathfinder. It has a 6000 tow capacity .I am hoping that the longer wheelbase will make towing easier.
There are some rules of thumb published on the web somewhere that help model the ratio of trailer length to wheel base of the TV. Long trailer with short wheelbase is not a good idea. Here is one such chart:

http://canada-buysellrv.com/TowingTips.asp

My 1500HD has a wheelbase of 153 inches and my 2500HD long bed has a wheelbase of 167 inches. I can tell the difference between them. The longer wheelbase porpoises a lot less. I attribute that to the longer wheelbase and also, I think, to the stiffer suspension in the rear of the larger truck.

According to this chart, my short truck can tow a 31 foot trailer and my long truck can tow a 34 foot trailer. Both trucks have the same engine and brakes. I am only towing a 20 foot trailer.

I believe that the wheelbase issue is most important:

when making a panic stop in a turn
keeping sway under control

You could probably modify an old Willy's jeep to have enough power to pull a long trailer down the road, but it would have inadequate brakes and an entirely too short wheelbase.

How long is long enough to be safe and how long is long enough for you to be comfortable with the risk? Only you can decide. This is not legislated by the government. You make the choice and live with the responsibility of that choice.

I am very conservative in my risk, but my budget is not your budget.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
ED-n-KEL

I can't speak first hand in regards to towing a TM or RV about this, but do have some experience with boats.
Back when we (my dad, brother and I) were heavy into boating, we used two different TVs with the boat. The boat itself was 24ft, so with trailer and all, it was probably in the 30ft overall length.
My brother had a 4WD Scout that was slightly lifted and had AT tires. We used this when going to back-in launches where the 4wd was needed.
I had a Ford E250 full size van (back when "250" really meant something) and we used it for the longer highway trips, or when the extra room/capacity was needed (trawling season). It was also slightly lifted with AT tires.
The difference in wheelbase of the TV was very apparent. We all loved the way the E250 not only handled the load, but tracked down the highway. The longer wheelbase made the entire rig feel more like a "train on a track". The boat had very little influence on the van.
On the other hand, you could feel the boat's influence on the Scout almost constantly, making highway travel very un-nerving.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
paulgart

I'll just add a "Newbies" two cents to this thread. We have a 5000lb. tow capacity with our 2005 Nissan Xterra and our TM is a 2000 2619. We're located in Colorado and so a lot of our towing is at altitude with steep grades up AND down.
We've been convinced in our travels that lighter is definately better. Our 2619 is a great match with our Xterra. I think anything significantly heavier would be dangerous.
My Newbie advice:
Don't get even close to the published limits on your tow capacity and take it slow on twisting descents.
2005 Nissan Xterra
:new_newbi
paulgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
jpcoll01

I actually tow a 2720sl with a Honda Odyssey with a Weight Dist. Hitch, Tranny cooler. I often tow to the East TN/Western NC mountains with no problems, have never felt anything but safe, gas mileage is pretty good as well. I took a month long trip with the family this summer to the Rockies, I took my dad's F250 Diesel and was VERY glad I did, sure I could have put the Oddy in 2nd and made it up and over Rabbit Ears Pass going to Steamboat, but I sure would have been nervous going down the other side.... Bottom line, if you live anywhere but in the Rockies or Sierra's you'll be fine towing with an Oddy, just remember not to overload and to load what you do take smartly and keep your tongue weight in check. Many folks on here will say don't even try it, but if you are like me and only use the TM 10 or less times a year it's really hard to justify low MPG's and a big vehicle. Either way, have fun in your TM.

Tags
honda odyssey tow vehicle, honda pilot tow vehicles