TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
dave.claude

Default Exploding Tires?

We have had a 2005 2720SL for 3 years and think it is great except for one thing. We have had 3 catastrophic failures of the Marathon tires in the last year. All on the same side (drivers), on the highway, under 65 mph, 50 lbs psi with the resulting destruction of waste management plumbing and nerve damage. 2 in the last 2 weeks.

I have gotten many pieces of great info on this site so here goes another question.

I have read all the posts on tire management on this site and stayed with all the recommendations. Frankly the first 2 occurred to my wife, who uses it 10+ times a year and I was suspicious until it occured when I was driving 2 days ago. Holding tanks empty, 1/2 water tank and a the usual few personal items we like to travel with. Checked everything I could think of on the axle etc. but trailers are very simple. I have owned and used numerous trailers in the past 40 years of driving and have never experienced this kind of failure.

I am now going to try another brand of tire that has a little higher capacity rating. The person I was discussing this with at the tire shop said, "didn't anyone every tell you that you need a higher rated tire?" and looked at me as if was from some other planet.

I am interested in other comments and will provide an update if anything goes bang again, or not.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
retiredgoat

Default tires,tires,tires went over and over higher rated tires

Hi Dave,

Most have replaced the tires with 15 inch higher rated tires, I stayed with 14 inch Lt truck trailer tires the info is in my signature at the bottom.

My bill was about $700.00 for 5 tires mounted and balanced and due make sure they balance them so as not to shake the TM a part.

As soon as the new tires were mounted I drove it down from NY to Fla going on average 70 and increasing to 80/85 at the bottom of the mountains so I could make it to the top and these tires worked great.

Just my two cents and others will help out but you should ask you local RV shop mechanic or owner and get their input also its there lively hood and will know a great deal.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Joseph

Default and looked at me as if was from some other planet.

Yes, got that look myself several times telling tire folks about Marathons. They just shook their head and said " yep! " As noted in my signature I run a Doran TPMS. When my Marathon tire shed its skin so to speak it was still holding 57 psi of air as verified on the side of the road with my trusty digital tire guage. It did not run low on air. It did not run hot. I could touch it with my hand and while it was warm it did not burn my hand. It did not explode. It just decided it was a snake and it was time.

That incident makes me want to use all sorts of colorful adjectives and adverbs not to mention start I now have three 14 inch load range "D" tires. See signature. At least they are not speed limited. Time will tell and I will keep all posted as to how they do or not do. Now, like you, I will learn to become a TM waste water plumber this weekend.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
robertkennel

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos has good info on trailer tire life and maintenance.

I also read on some forum that the sidewalls on trailer tires are designed differently as trailer suspensions are not designed like car suspensions(cars can absorb road loads better). A car tire on a trailer may be harder on the trailer components.

I also read on the same forum that the turning forces on trailer tires, especially on two axle trailers are more than on a car and trailer tires are designed to deal with that issue.

I would always go with a tire that the trailer manufacturer recommends. Robert
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

The link to Discount Tire has good information but in the end it looks like they refer to Carlisle tires -which is a brand they carry. I've heard lately that Carlisle tires are better than their previous reputation. I've contacted my local Discount Tire and can get a couple of Carlisle's with a 10 ply rating for less than $100 each. I need to replace mine before a long trip over Labor Day (still have the original Marathons!) and wonder if anyone has RECENT experience with Carlisle tires? I'll be looking at a 225/75R-15.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Is there a specific reason you are considering the Carlisles? Given their negative reputation, even if they have improved since, why consider them when there are several other similarly priced options available that have not yet led to any blowouts?

Just curious.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Al-n-Sue

Dave - a couple of things are leading me this way - but not a done deal by any means.
1. Discount Tire carries them and I've had good luck with them on my vehicle tires and they have good service. They only carry Carlisle for trailers and I get them in a 8 or 10 ply. Which seems to be pretty sturdy.
2. In a conversation with my dealer a few weeks ago, he allowed that he had heard that Carlisles were holding up much better, but had no real experience with them.
3. I called two other major tire stores in Colorado Springs and they only carried Nanking and Commodore - neither of which I've heard anything about - and given the price (~$80) I suspected they were inferior.
Camping World carries Marathons but looks like they want about $130 for them - the Carlisles are $95. Plus it is a long drive to CW.

I'm still researching which is why I posted the comment - hoping to get someone with actual experience. Or a dealer with some factual reviews (wmtire are you there?) I still need to check Sams Club and maybe some independent dealers.

I'll keep the forum informed of my decision and experience.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Fair enough. Don't forget tirerack.com. Buy there and have them shipped to any shop for installation. That way, you are not limited by local inventory. It would at least eliminate the need for researching this stuff and for being a guinea pig.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Al-n-Sue

Good suggestion. Checked tirerack.com and they have the 15" Marathon (load rating D) for $91 - but $38 to ship. I may check a couple of local Goodyear dealers to see if they carry or can get the Marathons. tirerack only had 14" Kumho which is the other tire I've heard mentioned here. Thanks for the reminder about tirerack.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Scott O

And to be very redundant on something which cannot be over-emphasized, be sure to balance and get metal stems...