TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default We lost our brakes! Learn from our experience....

Since we were planning on going on a trip this weekend with the TM, I peeked at the brake pads on my TV and decided they were too thin for my comfort level for our trip. I usually do most of the work on our cars, including brake jobs, but since I had never changed the pads on this vehicle before (it was on the original pads) and we were leaving early the next morning, I spontaneously decided to go to a local shop. I didn't want to risk having everything apart and I needed a new tool or part.

I watched the tech do the entire job, as best I could from a distance, which took about 2 hours. A bit long for a garage I thought, but he was jumping from one bay to the other, working on multiple cars at once. That was the first warning sign. I also expect professional shops to have a wide array of tools, neatly organized and easily accessible. Theirs were tossed in a small toolbox, one typical of what a homeowner would have. Another warning sign. Then I saw a c-clamp come out with the name "Great Neck" on it, a cheap Chinese brand along the likes of Harbor Freight. It didn't belong in a professional shop, but I couldn't back out at this point -- both of the wheels were off and calipers removed. The brake calipers on my TV have 4 pistons each, whereas many have only 1. They had difficulty figuring out how to push the pistons back in to install the new pads. Another warning sign.

The final warning sign came at the final part of the job when he was tightening up the lug nuts on the wheel. I told him, "You're going to hand-torque them, right?" "Yes, to 35 ft lbs.", he responded. I told him I thought that was pretty low and I thought the correct torque was more like 85 ft lbs. He said no, definitely not, my car was 35, the 4-Runner and Tacoma are 65. He was positive. Not knowing for sure, I accepted his answer. Then I saw him use a regular ratchet to torque the bolts -- I asked how he was going to know he was at the right torque. "I know the feel", he said. Ugh, yea, right. I planned on re-torquing them with my torque wrench at home.

He finished up, went for a test ride, and then I headed home. I immediately heard a racket from the right front wheel, and went back to the shop and took him for a ride. He said he could hear the noise, and I pulled back in the garage where he proceeded to remove the wheel to look around.

He could find nothing making the noise, and attributed the noise to a suspension part. I was skeptical, but figured, hey, brake jobs are simple. He's already checked it twice, it brakes fine, so I'll keep an ear to the noise. In the meantime, I pulled out my owners manual where it said in black and white that wheel lugs were to be torqued to 83 ft lbs. I insisted that he produce a torque wrench and do it the right way. After about 10 minutes, including a trip to the basement, he finally found one.

The next morning, we hooked up the TM and departed on our trip, immediately getting on the freeway. We decided to stop at In-N-Out for an early lunch, and it was a good thing we did. By the time we got to the end of the off ramp, the right wheel was making an ungodly harsh loud grinding noise, braking capacity was significantly diminished, and the TV was pulling badly to the left. Fortunately, In-N-Out was just around the corner, and being 10:30am, the parking lot was virtually empty. Good thing as we needed PLENTY of stopping distance even at 5-10 MPH.

I got out, and quickly discovered that 1 of the 2 bolts (the top one) attaching the caliper to the backing plate fell off. As a result, when the caliper compressed as the wheel was rotating clockwise, it forced the caliper towards the inside of the rim, making a deep gouge. There were metal shavings of all sizes everywhere. Since there was no rotor in between more than half the caliper, the pistons compressed unequally, and we lost virtually all the braking power on that wheel....since about 80% of the braking is done on the front, that resulted in a 40% loss in total braking power.

I pulled the wheel off, and I could remove the other bolt, on the bottom, with my hand.....easily. This guy didn't tighten either bolt. After calling around to numerous auto parts stores, a NAPA store ended up calling the Toyota dealer himself and hand delivered the correct bolt to me at no charge -- for the bolt or delivery.

Had we needed our brakes just minutes earlier when we had to do a hard brake at 60 MPH on the freeway, we could have easily been killed, as well as any number of other people. Tomorrow, I'm going to pay that shop a visit, and give them a bill. And I'm going to send Joe at the NAPA auto parts store in Camarillo, CA an In-N-Out gift card.

Just another reminder that you should either do the work yourself (if you know what you're doing) or go to garages that come specifically recommended to you. The shop I went to was not a backyard mom & pop place, which was probably my mistake. No, it was a large brand name, national garage, with a virtual house hold name.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I am lucky I have a Best Friend that is a ASE Mechanic & I know enough for most things also. When we use a shop we have a client that owns a nice shop.

I am glad you & your family are alright after what could only be described as negligence IMO. The shop should be thankful no one was hurt.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Frightening story, happy ending.

Glad you are all safe!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'm glad you guys are OK.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
ragmopp

Dave,

I hope you are or will be going back to that shop and give the manager a piece of your mind! Also contact the BBB and let them know what type of service you got. You live in Ca. like me, don't they have some sort of state licensing board you can complain too? Lastly, maybe see if you can contact the headquarters of that company and complain, complain, complain. I would be so upset I could spit!!!

Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
I hope you are or will be going back to that shop and give the manager a piece of your mind! Also contact the BBB and let them know what type of service you got. You live in Ca. like me, don't they have some sort of state licensing board you can complain too? Lastly, maybe see if you can contact the headquarters of that company and complain, complain, complain. I would be so upset I could spit!!!
I've already been back to the shop to have a chat. Unfortunately, it seems the manager is about 20 years old, and is powerless. He wouldn't even give me a copy of the claim form I filled out, even though it said "CUSTOMER COPY" in the footer of the page. Mad enough to spit? I'm madder than that. The page had about 5 lines to describe the incident. I typed a 3-page letter... Had the lower bolt unscrewed just a few more threads, it too would have came out, leaving the caliper hanging by the brake line. I'm sure it would have quickly broken the brake line, releasing all the brake fluid, and we would have been totally brakeless. ARGH! The more I think about it the more I get irritated.

Good point about the BBB....the state does regulate the shops...the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I'll file reports with both, and I do plan on sending a copy to their CEO. Otherwise, I expect my claim to get nickled and dimed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Wow, that is scary. Good mechanics, once you find one, be loyal. We buy our tires from one even though they are more than at the discount shops. Total savings are immense since you can trust their work.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
ragmopp

Good point about the BBB....the state does regulate the shops...the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I'll file reports with both, and I do plan on sending a copy to their CEO. Otherwise, I expect my claim to get nickled and dimed.

Please let us know the results. I am very curious about how this turns out...I just cannot believe that they can get away with this...

Mike
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Scott O

Well Dave...Sorry this happened to you but glad you were not injured. Could have been much worse. I don't think your issue was the lack of braking however. It was the uneven braking and the damage which was caused when stuff came apart. We tow with a Tacoma and went quite a while without brakes on the TM as a wire nut had allowed the electrical line to come apart. I didn't know how it felt with brakes so I didn't know there was a problem until I was crawling around one day and discovered the disconnected wires. The trailer stopped fine without brakes, but obviously better with brakes. A panic stop probably would have been disastrous. Now when I start up I idle down the street and stop with the lever on the brake controller. If it stops, all is well. As an aside, my doctor and mechanic both retired at the same time. What a lousy year that was!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

The final warning sign came at the final part of the job when he was tightening up the lug nuts on the wheel. I told him, "You're going to hand-torque them, right?" "Yes, to 35 ft lbs.", he responded.
When I got to that part above in this story, I knew there wasn't going to be a happy ending.

From the way you described everything, I would figure that where you had this done rhymed with "FEARS"