TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Thanks.......I downloaded and printed the tutorial. I'll try adjusting it and report back. Maybe others can learn from this experience as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Scott O

Thanks Billy...that is the one I as writing about. Nice job Bill! Very helpful.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Al-n-Sue

Unhappy My craigslist WDH story

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
OK........I found an EAZ Lift 1000# WDH including sway bar on craigslist. It's "Like New" (literally) and I picked it up for $150. I figured, for that little, it's worth giving it a try to see how it works.
Wayne - Glad you found a good solution. Even though you have finalized your trek for a WDH, it reminded me of my story of whether or not to get a WDH and my experience on Craigslist. It is a little lengthy, but hopefully instructional.

During the pruchase process, my dealer assured me that my Durango would be fine with the 3124KB that I bought. I got a new hitch bar with the ball raised (instead of the dropped one I used for my popup). We took our frist trip shortly after delivery and I felt like we were a little high in the front but manageable. But then it was confirmed when a car passed us, honked and signaled with their hands that my front end was way high! I then realized I could tell the difference in control as well, since I have AWD and was losing a little traction in the front end.

After we returned I started pricing a WDH. I found one on Craigslist (a Drawtite 1000) for quite a bit less than retail that included the ball mount. I was able to install it with no problems using information found here. I could tell a big difference in control on my first trip, but when I got home I realized that the ball mount had slipped a bit on the shank mount and I had lost a little of the adjustment. I was able to get it adjusted where we camped, but the next time out it did the same. I finally took it to my local truck center (used by the TM dealer for brake controllers and hitches) to get an adjustment. He investigated and found that the shank was for a different brand - it had a U-shaped vertical attachment and the Drawtite requires a solid hitch bar and vertical attachment. Cost me about $120 for the new shank and installation of the ball mount. Ultimately cost me about $100 more than if I'd bought the full WDH with installation from the truck center! But now I have good control and it works well.

Turns out that the guy I bought the WDH from had bought a new TT and had ordered a Hensley Arrow hitch. But it had not arrived when he needed to pick up his trailer so his dealer sold him the mismatched arrangement to get the trailer home. Whether they knew the problem or not I don't know, but since he had not towed with it but once, he likely didn't know the issue.

The lesson here? Make sure you know what you are buying and sometimes you may be money ahead to just get items retail if you're not totally knowledgeable!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I hear ya!!!!! and I was actually thinking about something like that happening, all the way over to pick this thing up. My biggest concern was that one of the bars could be bent.

I guess you win a few....lose a few...when buying second hand. There is no doubt that I was taking a chance because I really don't know anything about these things other than what I've read on here and only have a basic idea of what should be there..

This guy still had the box it came in, the installation instructions and the packing list (which I checked thoroughly I think...). The seller seemed as concerned as I was that I got all the parts to the thing.

It went together properly.....I think.......and the sway control mounting bracket is still in it's original package. I think I'll keep it though. You never know where I might end up towing this thing and what the conditions may be like. I'd hate to get rid of it then wish that I had it on some odd trip.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you can think of a way to not get grease from the bars all over the place, let me know. I haven't greased the ends of my bars (the end that goes into the ball mount) because when I take them off, they go on the ground, and they'll get just as much dirt on them as there are sprinkles on a fresh ice cream cone.

For that reason, I've been thinking the trunnion style might be better, since the bar ends are not moving parts when installed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
If you can think of a way to not get grease from the bars all over the place, let me know. I haven't greased the ends of my bars (the end that goes into the ball mount) because when I take them off, they go on the ground, and they'll get just as much dirt on them as there are sprinkles on a fresh ice cream cone.
I used to lay the bars across the TM frame behind the tongue jack on my 2720SL They are under the front slide in this position so no danger of grease unless you really try. The popping and groaning from dry bars while towing was not acceptable to me.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I did detect a creaking and groaning while turning......I was thinking that a light coat of white lithium grease might take care of it...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

For that reason, I've been thinking the trunnion style might be better, since the bar ends are not moving parts when installed.

Dave
We bought a long rectangular rubbermaid style container for a couple of bucks at Target (you see a lot of them after Christmas, as people apparently use them to store rolls of wrapping paper).

Our spring bars always go into the container when we're un-hitched. Keeps the bars clean and keeps the grease off everything.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Al-n-Sue

I kept the heavy duty cardboard box the bars came in and cut holes in the end to lift it by - I use that to store the bars in the garage when the camper is in storage. The box is too bulky to take while camping, so I put the bars on top of the battery box - that keeps them off the ground, and out of the way.
I've considered building a wooden box with a lid and handles on it that I could take camping with me, then I'd have a "sealed" container to put the bars in while camping. I'm betting someone on the forum has done that and could provide plans?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the great ideas. I didn't even think about storing these things while camping. I have an extra fold-up camping chair bag. Maybe I'll try putting them in that and laying them across the trailer tongue.