TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
mthawki

Default Towing with Plymouth Grand Voyager

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I have my eye on a 1996 TM 2619 and I'm having a hard time figuring out if my van will be able to handle it. I have a '99 Grand Voyager SE, 3.3L, FWD, no factory tow package, so I'd have to get a Class III installed obviously.

So if anyone has experience with a Chrysler van of the same era, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
AstroBruce

I believe the Grand Voyager has a tow rating of 3500#. My wife has one. I personally wouldn't even think about towing a 2619. I'm sure there are others that will disagree.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
mthawki

From what I've been reading on this site and others, if I went with a Class III WDH setup with other add-ons, then this would probably work. The 2619 has electric brakes, which would obviously help, but any additional comments would certainly be welcome. We did just get a new tranny put on a little more than a year ago, so it's barely broken in.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

There is a lot of experience in this forum, and I cheerfully defer to those who have actually towed a TrailManor with your powertrain. I just happened to have a couple pages from a 2005 Town & Country owner's manual, which I've attached to illustrate that you may have the rated capacity, but just barely. If you're going to do this, you'll need to replicate the tow package features, and you absolutely will want a weight distributing hitch.

If I was towing just occasionally, travelling light, and not on long mountain grades, I might try it to see how it works out. And I would take it very easy under controlled conditions while I got it figured out (especially speed... a big part of transmission load is wind resistance, besides the more obvious stopping issues that we all have to think about). If I meant the Western part of Montana when I said "Montana," and I wanted to do this more than once, and camping means staying in places without fresh water hookups, I would pay attention to the people of altitude who post here (who I remember to be close to unanimous in suggesting that you'll probably find yourself needing more tow vehicle before you know it).

Whatever you decide, please share your adventures!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2005chryslertowing (2).pdf (31.4 KB, 23 views)
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
lederhos
Site Sponsor

Default Towing with Plymouth Grand Voyager

I am pulling a 3124KB with an '01 Dodge Grand Caravan sporting a 3.8L engine and 3800# towing capacity. I have pulled the TM over several CO passes exceeding 10,000 feet. There is a lot more I could say here (most of it would scandalize you) but since this is my first post, I'll keep it brief. My TM exceeds my TV for my desired use. If I were camping exclusively on the plains of CO the Caravan would probably be adequate, but I much prefer the mountains and getting off the beaten path. If you are like minded, I recommend a small V8 or better. 4WD adds additional insurance.
lederhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I towed for nine years my TM2619 with a 1999 Grand Voyager LE, 3.3L. Mostly on the east coast from ME to TN. It was adequate and I was happy with it. My Voyager came with the towing package which added a transmission cololer, larger alternator, larger battery, heavy duty brakes, and susspension. I traded in the Voyager at approx 130K miles. I had no problems with the vehicle because of towing.

I now tow with a 2008 Highlander which does a nicer job towing but gets lower mileage when towing than the Voyager. But the Highlander get better none towing mileage than the Voyager.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
rumbleweed

As you are close to the max capacity, make sure you get the TV upgraded to the original tow package not just a hitch and wiring. Trans cooler and is a must.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lederhos View Post
I recommend a small V8 or better. 4WD adds additional insurance.
Just to clarify a bit on this...
While 4WD will add "sure footedness" to your TV, it will actually REDUCE your towing capacity.
Basically the 4WD will help with muddy/sanding conditions, but it will NOT help with basic asphalt towing capacity.
Using the Chevy Astro as an example...the basic 2WD version is rated at 5000 lbs, but with 4WD it's reduced to 4500 lbs...mainly due to the added loads/friction in the drive-train and increased GVW. The 4WD version would be a help on unfinished roads, but it actually reduces the overall capacity for highway towing.
As long as your capacity has a wide enough safety margin, 4WD is a nice feature to have. Just be careful not to screw up your gearing by putting too large of tires on it....which would once again lower your overall capacity.