TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
jarden

I guess the best thing to do is head over to Custom RV and check them all out. Luckily they are only about 40 min away. I've seen the Elkmont inside but it was a quick look around. Next time I'll have to spend a few hours looking around at all the different TM models including the Elkmont and sit down with someone to go over everything. At least now, with everyone's input I have more to go on and know where I can go with any new questions that will come up. Thank you all.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Scott O

You MIGHT find a dealer as good as Custom RV, but you won't find one better. In the 2 years I have been on this forum I have yet to see anything but positive about them. And don't let the size of their lot fool you...they are large in what counts, price, expertise and customer satisfaction.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Pittsbrat

The Honda Pilot owners manual contains a chart that shows allowable trailer weight and tongue weight given different loads in the vehicle. Contrary to many manufacturers, Honda actually gives you the ability to carry stuff in the car with the maximum rated tow load. On some models of the Pilot, there are two tow limits, 3500 lbs for trailers and 4500 lbs for boats. On later models, I believe they dropped the 4500 for boats. Which do you have?

I routinely pull a 4500 pound boat/trailer with a fairly decent load in the vehicle. I suspect the lower limit for trailers is NOT about stopping or acceleration, but lateral stability. For that reason, you can PROBABLY tow a TM that's a little heavier than 3500 lbs because you're not subjecting it to the kind of crosswinds/turbulence that a regular trailer does. But you're something of a test pilot in that case.

If you do tow something with a Pilot, use premium fuel. It's amazing the difference it makes. I've done quite a bit of towing with my 2004, 98K miles on the clock, and no unsual problems and no transmission issues.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
jarden

I've looked at that information in my owners manual quite a few times and it hasn't made sense. Now, I know what it all means. Thank you very much.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
jarden

Thank You Scott O. I have heard lots of good things about Custom RV. In fact, I checked them out last year at an RV show. Very friendly, not pushy and more than willing answer questions. I'm sure they will be the same at the lot. Will check them out next weekend.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

We all would like more information from manufacturers about their tow ratings, but they like to keep us guessing.

We used to own a motorhome, and there is no question that there was very nice convenience that went with that. But I'm even happier with not having that large truck engine parked out there in the RV storage lot. I really don't think our setup and take down time is that much longer in the TrailManor (the Motorhome has an awning, has to be jacked and hooked up too, and the same inside stuff has to be taken out or put away). The TM setup is definitely shorter (and drier in a rainstorm) than the old days when we had popups.

Given that you want to keep the Pilot, I would definitely recommend a folding TrailManor because of it's lower wind resistance and lower center of gravity. But I've never seen the Elkmont and I hope we'll soon have a lot of experience with these posting here.

Let us know how it goes!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote