TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #21
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
That is the compressor that I have been looking at. It is very frequently mentioned at RV.net forums.

I need two 12 volt compressors. I already have a very tiny one that I can keep in the ATV, which only needs 7 psi and it can handle the motorcycles that need about 20 psi.

I want one for the 75 psi I use in the trucks, and the 50 in the TM.

I may order it tonight. Thanks for reminding me about it.
Be sure to read the "Customer Reviews" :
http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...DateDescending

The one annoying thing about this compressor is that the "Screw on" tire valve stem attachment is permanently installed on the hose. A lot of people have re-threaded the compressor head and installed a 1/4" NPT air fitting so that a standard quick coupler can be used and interchangeable tools can be put on the hose. As it is now, it is set up with that screw-on valve stem fitting and that's all that the compressor can be used for. Sort of a dumb design flaw but it is easily fixed.

The air hose is 16' long but I think that I will replace it with a 25' air hose when I install a new quick coupler fitting in the head. Some people moan about the 10' length of the power cord. If you want to make it longer, you would need to replace the entire cord with one of heavier gage wire. Not worth it IMO.

Some of the reviews talk about it being DOA. I think that most of those people don't realize that there is a water-proof switch on the back of the motor. It just looks like a little, flat, square, black piece of rubber. You have to push it to turn on the compressor. There are no markings on or around it. It took me awhile to figure it out.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I have been using this Slime compressor:
http://www.slime.com/shop/heavy-duty...lator-comp-06/
for the last three seasons. It will inflate a full size truck tire in a few minutes, is compact and will run off of the 12 volt TV outlet in the TM without blowing the fuse if the antenna amp is not on. I think I bought it at Wally World and I have seen it in several auto parts houses.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #23
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

harveyrv: I like looks of that little compressor. Thanks for the info.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Scott O

Compressors are almost mandatory if you do any off-road driving in your TV. If you get into any really nasty soft stuff you need to let a bunch of air out of your tires. Just don't forget to refill when you get back on the highway. The main weakness of these little compressors is that they get very hot. You almost need to let them cool down after inflating each tire...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
PopBeavers

I am well aware of the heat issue when inflating multiple tires. We were on the beach at Pismo in early December and I was surprised at what I saw on the sand. Dually trucks towing triple axle toy haulers. that's 12 tires to inflate when you get off the sand.

I just want to be able to deal with a low tire from a slow leak, or if I had to use a plug to repair a nail hole in the middle of nowhere.

I'll take a look at the Slime as well. Unless someone has already done a careful comparison of the two.

Since I do not own any air tools, that would not be an issue for me. But I appreciate the information. My son (25) would be more interested in running air tools, as soon as he has a budget that allows him to buy air tools. He just bought his first house, so he is now poor.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am well aware of the heat issue when inflating multiple tires. We were on the beach at Pismo in early December and I was surprised at what I saw on the sand. Dually trucks towing triple axle toy haulers. that's 12 tires to inflate when you get off the sand.

I just want to be able to deal with a low tire from a slow leak, or if I had to use a plug to repair a nail hole in the middle of nowhere.

I'll take a look at the Slime as well. Unless someone has already done a careful comparison of the two.

Since I do not own any air tools, that would not be an issue for me. But I appreciate the information. My son (25) would be more interested in running air tools, as soon as he has a budget that allows him to buy air tools. He just bought his first house, so he is now poor.
Running air tools would require the addition of a portable tank of some sort.

The main difference between a compressor that plugs into a lighter socket and one that requires clamping directly to the battery is power. A 30A compressor (one that clamps drectly to the battery) is simply going to be 50% more powerful than a 20A compressor and twice the power of a 15A compressor.

When filling truck tires to 75# you will need a lot of power to overcome the pressure that is building up in the tire. Both compressors may ultimately do the job but the one with the most power will simply do it faster.

The larger the compressor's piston and the longer the stroke, the higher the CFM that the compressor can produce. The more CFM, the more power that it takes to deliver the air as resistance builds (assuming the gearing is the same). If the compressor has reduction gears (which is very unlikely) that will simply reduce the RPM of the compressor and reduce volume. No matter how you cut it, amperage (power), price and quality are the determining factors when purchasing any compressor.

Whatever compressor that you get, I would recommend one that clamps directly to the battery. There are a lot of them on the market. My wife chose this one on the advice of a friend and reviews that she read. The price is also about half of some of the 30A ones advertised. That being said, you often get what you pay for.

We had 6 campers on last weekends camp-out. I topped off a lot of tires with the compressor to give it a good workout. So far, so good.

Congratulations to your son for buying his 1st house. That is quite an accomplishment at his age. This is certainly the time to buy and he certainly won't regret it. We may never see the types of market value increases that we saw in the 90's and early 2000's. However, there is no substitute for owning your own home. You must be very proud of him......
Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
PopBeavers

Wayne,

the other Wayne, not me.

Good point about the amps! I agree that the more current it draws from the 12 volt source (battery) then the faster it will pump up the tires, assuming similar losses, etc.

You would think that with 3 years of high school electric shop and 2 years of EE at Cal Poly I would have remembered that. But, like many of us programmers say, it's a hardware problem. I only do software.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
nelAndKen

Default Alternative to compressors

Here is an idea for you - get a bottle of CO2 for beverage machines completely portable - several sizes of bottles to choose from, enough gas to fill a bunch of tires and even run pneumatic tools (i.e. impact wrench), non-combustable and even has a regulator. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #29
Harry Womack

Default Air Tank

I have a nitrogen tank that is about 20" tall that I use to air tires up. With any of these bottles the pressure over 1000 pounds per square inch. You have to use a regulator and gauge to bring the pressure down to 100-150 psi. The tire chucks are not designed for high pressure!
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote