TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
mkiley

Default Curt Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver

Hello Fellow TMers!

Anyone have good/bad experience with a Curt Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver kit? I have a real tricky turn from an alley into the parking spot and a front mount would just be perfect, so I'm praying that Curt is the answer to my dillema!

Thanks,

- Mike
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Mckesh Mirrors
2005 Honda Pilot
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Scott O

Have you considered one of the powered trailer mover jacks? They are relatively small and very powerful, and you can move the trailer very easily into tight places. Cost is about $1,000. A search on this forum will get additional info, but they sound very useful.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
mkiley

As cool as that gaget sounds, the front hitch is about $170. Also I think I can put a bike carrier on the front, which I think will tow better then the back of the trailer (from what I understand).
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Mckesh Mirrors
2005 Honda Pilot
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
camp2canoe

Our front mount (it can be used on either end, however) bike rack is a Yakima Holdup. We like it becuse it will hold a variety of bikes - top tube, down tube, etc. It is a tray type rack and much of Yakima's product line is easily interchangable. Yakima's website is pretty neat and allows you to investigate rack systems for a specific vehicle or usage. - camp2canoe
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiley View Post
Hello Fellow TMers!

Anyone have good/bad experience with a Curt Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver kit? I have a real tricky turn from an alley into the parking spot and a front mount would just be perfect, so I'm praying that Curt is the answer to my dillema!

Thanks,

- Mike
Mike,

I installed a Curt Front Mounted Receiver Hitch to carry our mountain bikes.

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2003_For...Sport+Trac.htm

At the time, the Curt Hitch had a slightly higher tongue weight rating than other hitches. I haven't used the front hitch to move our TM . . . so not much help there. You may want to keep an eye on your power steering pump as the extra weight might overwhelm the pump. Otherwise I am pleased with the hitch and the installation was straight forward and simple.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
lbtexs

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Mike,

I installed a Curt Front Mounted Receiver Hitch to carry our mountain bikes.

Dick
I've been looking for the best way to carry my bikes and hadn't considered a front hitch. I take it that has worked well for you. Any issues with headlights, hood releases etc? Seems like it would be the best place to carry to help balance everything.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbtexs View Post
I've been looking for the best way to carry my bikes and hadn't considered a front hitch. I take it that has worked well for you. Any issues with headlights, hood releases etc? Seems like it would be the best place to carry to help balance everything.
No issues with visibility. I do position the bikes with the handlebars on the curb side and remove the seats. I did purchase a bike rack that keeps the wheels as low as possible and away from the headlights. I have driven at night with no appreciable change in visibility (driving lights are a big help). Hood access is no problem . . . bikes can be removed from the rack in less than a minute.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-br2b~S64650.htm

Here are some photos of the front receiver and bike rack I used with the Jeep Liberty and with my current TV.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...U3qb7BomDa2EYC

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=29

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
lbtexs

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
No issues with visibility. I do position the bikes with the handlebars on the curb side and remove the seats. I did purchase a bike rack that keeps the wheels as low as possible and away from the headlights. I have driven at night with no appreciable change in visibility (driving lights are a big help). Hood access is no problem . . . bikes can be removed from the rack in less than a minute.

Dick
Thanks Dick. The pictures help a lot and I like the look of that carrier. I'll post if I decide to go that way.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Scott O

I'm not sure I would want my bikes up there due to bugs and possible road damage, but when we had a motorhome back in the day I carried my full sized Husqvarna dirt bike on a custom rack in front with absolutely no problems. Visibility was fine and if there were problems with it blocking the headlights I don't remember it! It was reassuring to constantly see that 'my baby' was safe and sound and ready to have a good time in the desert!