TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
bigben8011

Default baked apples

since it is becoming apple season in pa here is a good fire side snack. take one baking apple if you use a normal eating apple this tends to get too sweet. core it but I like to keep the skin on. take care to make somwhat of a cap out of the top of the core you are going to need this later down the road. I then take butter cinnamon and brown suger and put into where the core was. replace the "cap" and wrap twice with foil buy putting the apple in the center of a 12"X12" piece of foil and folding all corners to the top of the apple to make somwhat of a handle. then place in the center of the fire for around 10-15 minutes(I generally sacrafice one to get the timeing right) or until soft. cut top of foil and I like to pour a bit of milk down the center and top with whipped cream if you are not roughin it. enjoy. normally I also have fresh cider at the same time. if ya want to do dumplins in the fire I normally do them in a dutch oven. but wrap seperately in tin foil. the dutch over protects from burnin and the foil keeps the dutch oven generally clean. but do basically the same as above but skin the apple and use pastry dough. not sure on the exact dough but I normally do a few of these around this time of year so I will write down the type. wrap the apple in the dough and cook for around 45 minutes at about three seconds from feeling the burn from the coals(hold your hand palm away from the coals around 6" and count if three seconds and you cannot hold your hand there no more then you are good.