TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
bigben8011

Default dutch oven beef stew

here is a basic recipe but is great for crock pot at home if you do not want to use a dutch oven.

3-5lb chunk of roast
red skin potatoes
carrots
onions
celery seed(because I hate the texture of celery)
season salt
packet of french onion soup mix or aus ju mix
corn
1 pop open roll of biscuts.(if doin in the dutch oven)

season the chunk of meat with season salt or other dry rub
center the meat in the dutch oven or crock. cut half of the onions that you want to use and place around the meat. I like to cut them big into squares. put two cups of hot tap water in and packet of french onion or aus ju mix in. cover and cook on low for three to 6 hours(crock pot) or over moderate coals(dutch oven).
after meat is about half way done cut potatoes onions and carrots up. put around meat and turn it up on high. if the roast has bones in then try to cut them out awhile. after 3 hours goes buy the meat should be falling apart. I put the corn and celery seen in with about a hour to go because they are allready cooked(canned).
If you are doing this in the dutch oven then once the roast is done to your likeing bust open the biscuts and float on top of the surface of the beef stew. replace lid and cover the top of the lid with coals.
start callin people for supper. after 15 minutes are up the biscuts should be done and you have a one pot meal. good eatin.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
bigben8011

here is another one that works good. kinda like a italian style beef stew

3-5lb chunk of beef roast
2 cans speggetti sauce(i get the garlic and herb kind)
1 small to med onion chopped to your taste
1 tablespoon of chipoltle style tabasco sauce(or 5-10 shakes)
veggies( i put these in here but you can add others)
I get the frozen bags of mixed veggies with corn peas and carrots and then buy 3-4 large potatoes and cut them up.
season salt

season chunk of beef roast well and then add the onion speggetti sauce and tablespoon of chipoltle tabasco sauce into crock pot and set on low and cook for around 5 hours.

cut potatoes and add. let cook till taters are soft normally around 3 hours. I add the veggies about a half hour before I leave and stir everything together. the meat I normally cut up before I put it in the crock.

I normally do this in the crock pot but you can do it in the dutch oven. somtimes I grill it over high heat to sear the meat and then put it in the oven to get a bit of smokey flavor to it.

I will post my recipes that go over good I got a bunch of em from being in boy scouts.