TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Mark

Default Tow Vehicle Tires

Hello all!
We will be needing new tow vehicle (Mazda Tribute) tires soon and would be interested in which tires you recommend.  This is our first SUV and would appreciate your feedback.  We are particularly interested in road performance (ride, noise, treadlife, etc) not off road performance.  Snow/ice is not a concern as we see only occaisional cold weather.
Thanks!

Mark and Mary Ann
Old 05-01-2003, 03:00 AM   #2
Mark

Default Re: Tow Vehicle Tires

Denny,
Thanks for your reply!  The Tire Rack site was excellent!  We are leaning toward the Yokahamas or Michelen LTX MS based on some feedback from the Tire Rack forum and neighbor's experience.  Not sure if the LTXs are worth the extra $s though...~$30/tire!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Tow Vehicle Tires

Quote:
Denny,
Thanks for your reply!  The Tire Rack site was excellent!  We are leaning toward the Yokahamas or Michelen LTX MS based on some feedback from the Tire Rack forum and neighbor's experience.  Not sure if the LTXs are worth the extra $s though...~$30/tire!
Being cheap, I tend to go for the most bang for a buck. I had Yoko's on my '88 Honda Accord. I loved everything about them but their wear rate. Seemed to wear a bit faster than I had expected. Still the price was so good that it was not a real issue. PERFORMANCE is everything! They stuck to the road like glue.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
grayghost

Default Re:Tow Vehicle Tires

hi all, well just 3 more days till we get our tm 2720sl.

question: honda recommends keeping a full size spare when trailering. since their wheel well only holds the mini tire - where would you all recommend we keep the full size tire?

thanks

almost on the road again
Old 08-13-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
question: honda recommends keeping a full size spare when trailering. since their wheel well only holds the mini tire - where would you all recommend we keep the full size tire?
If Honda recommends a full size spare for trailering and does not provide room for it to be carried in/on the vehicle then this Honda vehicle is not equiped nor designed for trailering.
MJL

Another thought : You could use the compact spare only on the front wheels. If you have a flat on the back, then you would have to change two tires. Put the spare on the front and move the good front tire to the back.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
caremd99

I mounted my full size spare on the TM bumper using a spare tire carrier. The only time I need the full size tire is when I tow so it makes sense to keep it on the TM.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Happytrails

How about up on a roof rack? I'm thinking of doing this myself.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 08-29-2003, 07:35 AM   #8
grayghost

my dh said one scenario is to unhitch the tm from the tv, put on the small tire, get the blown tire fixed, drive back to the tm and re hitch it. does anyone have thoughts on this.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:46 AM   #9
bonzaibeaver

I think it would depend on where you were when the tire blew. There are some places that I would not feel easy about leaving my trailer unattended while I drove off to fix a tire on the tv. I might come back with my new tire on the tv and find that I no longer had a Trailmanor.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
grayghost

that's what i was thinking :'( at this point the tm is worth more than the tv.