TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
camp2canoe

Default Cushioned ball mount

I've used one for years and swear by it. I bought mine through NorthernTool.com where it is part number 685334 and sells for $59.95. It has a 2" drop, 10,000# weight rating and 2,000# tongue rating. Convert-A-Ball makes other drops but that is the only one Northern stocks - you can order others direct from Convert-A-Ball. I use mine with a regular ball as both my TM and sailboat trailer use a 2" ball. They do have a cushioned ball mount from another manufacturer with limits of 6,000/600# but I always like a safety factor.

So, what do you get for the $20-30 over a similarly rated non cushioned ball mount? Pretty much an absence of clanking or jerking when accelerating or braking. It is great with the TM but is even more significant when I tow my sailboat which has a retractable tongue extention and the sloppiness attendant thereto. I'm convinced that it helps extend the life of the receiver and tongue as well. My F150 is a daily driver which I back up to a concrete wall in a parking ramp - when the hitch is in place I never even notice when the truck touches the wall. I haven't notice any wear in the cushion in the three years I've used the hitch with the two trailers but assume there will be some life expectancy in the plastic. - camp2canoe
Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill s View Post
speaking of hitches ...has anyone tried using a "cushioned ball mount by convert a ball"
...the hitch is a 2' by 2" tube with 1/4" thikness...inside is polyurethane presumably
to cushion the trailer movements and chattering at stop signs ????
very pricey ~ $ 59'!!!!
I've used the cushioned ball mount since day one, and I'm totally happy with it!

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote