TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Ron & Midge

Exclamation problem with my hitch

I have a problem with my hitch,when I apply the brakes I get a slapping sound and it feels like its come from the hitch.I just traded veh and they installed a new hitch then I stopped at dealer and brought a new shaft and a new 2in ball. I had the same sound fr my old veh I traded in.
I called tm and talked to service tec and was told tm used a self adj hitch and said that he has not heard of this.
Could it be something Im doing wrong?Ive tried loseing the elec brake up some but still hearing sound.:
Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

What kind of vehicle are you towing with and what size tm do you have?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Ron & Midge

Default hitch

pulling with 04 jeep cheroke 4.7 liter was pulling with 2000 chev pk up
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
PopBeavers

There is a small amount of slap in the pin that holds the bar in the receiver, but not much.

I had some noticeable slap that has disappeared after the swing away hitch was modified to repair a cracked frame.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Ron & Midge

thanks for the help,I might have had the elec brake too tight.On trip home today I turned it down and the the slapp noise went away.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

That is good info...I have noticed that I can hear the brakes sort of surging when I am guiding as Tom backs the TM in to our parking spot here at home. Maybe we have them set too tight too???

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Country Girl -

For some reason, electric brakes seem to bind up at very low speeds, such as when pulling into a campsite or gas station pumps. This seems to happen in both forward and reverse movement. I have no idea what causes it, but if you back off on the brakes so they won't grab at very low speeds, be sure to set them back up before you get on the road again.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Country Girl -

For some reason, electric brakes seem to bind up at very low speeds, such as when pulling into a campsite or gas station pumps. This seems to happen in both forward and reverse movement. I have no idea what causes it, but if you back off on the brakes so they won't grab at very low speeds, be sure to set them back up before you get on the road again.

Bill
This is not my experience. I notice very little difference between slow speed versus freeway speed.

It may be because I have a relatively large TV and do not use a very high boost setting for my brake controller. I think that the difference is more noticeable with smaller tow vehicles. But, I am guessing.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
BobRederick

I would caution you to check carefully to determine if the ball is going into the hitch properly. It is very easy to have the ball push the clasp up instead of having the clasp lock the bottom of the ball into the hole. To prevent this, I make sure the ball is forward of the tongue about 1/2 inch or so as I lower the tongue. Then the ball pulls the TM forward a bit. The danger of getting the clasp above the ball is that you don't have the ball locked in place. I pulled my TM on an off road situation this way one time and thanked the Lord that it didn't get away before I recognized the sound of the improperly clasped situation.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
bill s

Question cushioned ball mount

speaking of hitches ...has anyone tried using a "cushioned ball mount by convert a ball"
...the hitch is a 2' by 2" tube with 1/4" thikness...inside is polyurethane presumably
to cushion the trailer movements and chattering at stop signs ????
very pricey ~ $ 59'!!!!