TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default 195R14C Load Range D tires

I just swapped out my old ST215/75R14 Goodyear Marathons for a set of Cooper 195R14C Load Range D tires. We will be taking a short trip this week, and I report how they work for a short trip.

One of the first things I noticed was that these tires are somewhat thinner that the regular, and this makes accessing the spare tire (in the newer under-the trailer carrier) much easier. The second thing I noticed was that there was no Date Code in the DOT information block. The tire has a DOT area, but the third block is blank. Do Euro-metric tires have a different encoding for the manufacturing date ?

Thanks -- Mike

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The second thing I noticed was that there was no Date Code in the DOT information block. The tire has a DOT area, but the third block is blank. Do Euro-metric tires have a different encoding for the manufacturing date ?

Thanks -- Mike
There is a federal mandate right now that got put on hold, requiring tire manufacturers to put the DOT/date code on both sidewalls (it had always just been required on one sidewall). This was to keep consumers from having to crawl under their vehicles in order to read the DOT code, if that was the side of the tire had the DOT code molded on it.

The only thing that changes each week in tire manufacturing is the week/year code. These date plates have to be changed every week in the tire molds. The manufacturers are arguing that to change the inside sidewall mold date plate is dangerous to the person doing it, and they might get burned (which is true), reaching in. They then say they will lose a lot of production time, waiting for the molds to cool down, to change the inside date plates. Because of this, the government has temporarily halted this requirement.

The manufacturers aren't sure if they are going to win this argument, so they are putting the DOT codes on both sides, all the code except for the inside date plate currently. If you don't see the date in the DOT code on the sidewall of your tire, then most likely it was the inside sidewall in the tire mold............look on the other sidewall, and I bet you will have the whole enchilada.

Of course, that'll require you crawling under the trailer. If you do, take a flashlight.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Bobby,

Thanks. The Date Code really is only on one side of the tire and of course the tires were all mounted with that facing inwards.

Mike

Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Short trip with new tires

Hi,

We just got back from a short trip with our new Cooper 195R14C Load Range D tires which included a section of rough road (~20 mph max with TM) to get to the camp side. I felt no difference in handling, and the TM interior did not appear any worst for wear for going over the rough section of road with 65psi LR D tires. After setting up, I remove the tire skirts to check for any rubbing or other contact problems -- no problems on my 2004 2720 without lift kit.

So far, so good -- I have a ~1000 mile trip scheduled in Oct and I'll report again after that.

Mike

Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
retiredgoat

Default Hey MikeD

I put Cooper 195R14C, Load Range D 106/104Q with a load rating of 2095 lbs at 65 PSIG on my 2001 3326 back in April and just love them. I drove down from Buffalo NY to Daytona Beach Fl doing 70-80 MPH all the way just to test the handling and response and I have to say to anyone wanting new tires these are great.

I never pull with anything less than an F-150 just to ensure braking is at an premium and the 3326 stopped on a dime in traffic (four tires slowing you down is nice). The handling in traffic was very nice (I'm not a road runner just passed a few 5ers to say I did it) hahaha.

Good Luck
Old 08-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Bobby,

Thanks. The Date Code really is only on one side of the tire and of course the tires were all mounted with that facing inwards.

Mike
Of course, Mike. Tire mounting adheres to the "dropped buttered toast" principle. The good side is always going to be facing away from you...ie the buttered side always lands on the floor.

We take classes on how to make sure we do it like that. Sad thing is, I've hired some guys before who weren't even smart enough to make toast.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
KSBASS

Default Cooper Date Code

Mike
What is the date code on your Coopers? I put some on my '04 2720 back in June. I've got datecodes of 1207 on L & R and 1107 on spare. (Not that I selected them that way, that's just how it ended up!) The Cooper dealer I got them from in KC had to order them in from Atlanta. Took a week. I paid $354.92 for the 3 tires mounted and balanced. I've only got 400 miles on them so far but agree they run fine. The thinner sidewall does make it easier to mount on the spare rack and also didn't require the skirt to be removed to mount them. I did squint a little putting 65psi in them though!
Troy
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Troy,

My Date codes are all 1207. My dealer was able to get the tires in one day, there must be a stocking center in Northern California. Did you also get the high pressure metal stems ? Mine were beginning to crack, the metal stems look like they will last close to forever.

Mike

Old 08-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
KSBASS

I guess I needed a picture of a metal stem to know what to look for. I asked the tire dealer to use them and he sent me to the parts store to get some (he didn't have any). Nothing that I considered metal stems at Autozone or O'Reillys. I stopped at a Goodyear tire center and they had some heavy-duty 80 psi max stems. They have a metal core but still with a black rubber outer covering. What did you get?

Troy
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Valve stem

Mine are all shiny metal...see attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stem.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2077  
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote