TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
tonyj23

Default Correct Tow Vehicle Question for TM Models

We are seriously considering buying a TM and are looking for available used ones. We originally thought about a 2720 because of its light weight but the larger ones are so much nicer and we would like to consider them. We will be towing with a 2000 Chevy Astro van with towing package. The owners manual says we can tow up to 5300 to 5800 lbs (depending on our axle differential(?) which I don't know what it is). This of course includes cargo and extra passengers beyond two. Does anybody have experience or know about towing a 3023 or larger TM? Also, would we need a stabilizer hitch?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Rich_in_Tampa

Just went through this, complex decision lots of factors, but let me cut to the chase and share my conclusions based on lots of advice, but not on personal experience (yours may vary, etc.):

- For the 30 foot and larger TMs, 5000 lbs of towing capacity is advised.
- For the smaller TMs, 3500 is advised, more being better in steep hills, etc.
- Weight distributing hitch is advised unless you have a very large tow vehicle. Sway control is not necessary.

As a long time Toyota fan, I bought a Sequoia for our new 3124KS. Had I bought a 2720, I'd have gone with a 4Runner.

Good luck and hope we are soon trading stories.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Debian Dog

The Astro van may have a 5000 rating but I would sooner tow it with my minivan. Actually I do

Yes you will "want" a WDH.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I can not answer your direct question, but I can provide some specific data.

I have a 2005 TM 2720, with awning, a/c, optional 40 gallon tank, microwave drawer.

According to the current TM website, the base weight for a 2720 is 2742 pounds. The fully loaded weight is rated for 4075.

I weighed my TM once. It was full of all the camping equipment I own and full of water (40+6). The weight on the axle was 3380 pounds. I did not weigh the tongue. I would guess that the total weight was slightly over 4000 pounds.

Many people like to limit the weight of the trailer to 80 percent of the TV spec. 80 percent of 5000 is 4000.

Perhaps you will take less stuff than I do, but until you load it and weigh it you are guessing. I would not be comfortable towing with anything less than a capacity of 5000 pounds. I have no doubt that many people that tow trailers are really pushing the limits of their equipment.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj23 View Post
We are seriously considering buying a TM and are looking for available used ones. We originally thought about a 2720 because of its light weight but the larger ones are so much nicer and we would like to consider them. We will be towing with a 2000 Chevy Astro van with towing package. The owners manual says we can tow up to 5300 to 5800 lbs (depending on our axle differential(?) which I don't know what it is). This of course includes cargo and extra passengers beyond two. Does anybody have experience or know about towing a 3023 or larger TM? Also, would we need a stabilizer hitch?
Hi, I own a 3124KB and have towed it with my 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 which is rated at 5000lbs towing with a class III hitch, I did not have any problems, I have just bought a weight distributing hitch and have not used it yet, the 3124KB pulled fine without any sway but the Tacoma was not level so hence the WD hitch. I just thought I would add my two cents in.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
KdHammonds

You may want to search this thread. This specific rig has been discussed many times. Our current rig is a 1998 3023 and a 2003 AWD Chevy Astro. There are a total of five of us plus two dogs. I have had the loaded TM weighed while attached to the Astro. It weighed 3600 pounds on a truck scale. (I am guessing it rounded to the 100lb. mark.) We have not had any problems with this arrangement. We have towed our camper from Michigan to Florida. We have never been west of the Mississippi so do not have any experience with towing through the Rockies. However, we have been back and forth over the Smokies several times.

We use a heavy duty weight distribution hitch with built in sway control.

Good Luck.