TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Sequoia bought, TM to follow

We negotiated a screaming deal on a new 2007 Sequoia with towing package on Saturday (they're not exactly jumping off the lots with gas jitters being what they are), and took delivery on the spot. We eagerly await our 3124KS, but meantime I took the Sequoia for a 100 mile test drive today.

The manual says wait 2000 miles before towing, but I will likely cheat on that, though keeping the RPMs well under 3000 at all times while towing. Since this is Florida (think flat). Do you think that's OK?

The vehicle was very impressive. Smooooootthhhhh V8, tracked well, decent if not impressive accelaration and firm but true braking. I didn't push it at all, but at 70mph up a steep incline (we do have impressive bridges here in Tampa ) it never topped 2500 RPM. Tons of room inside, great visibility, nice finish.

BTW, as a Prius owner with experience in the usual techniques, I was able to milk about 20 MPG on the interstate; the sweet spot for mileage seems to be about 60 MPH (there is a real time mileage readout in the vehicle).

More to follow once the TM arrives.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on your new TV. I think that 4.7 block is a bullet proof combination of smooth, power & reliability. You'll never know you've got a trailer behind you.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb More important than 3000 RPM "redline"

... is to be sure to VARY YOUR SPEEDS. I can't imagine the V8 needing more than 3000 PRMs on the flats in Florida, but be sure not to run at a consistent spped, that's much worse (than high RPMs) for the break-in.

And OTOH, don't leave it improperly broken in WITHOUT high RPMs, either. Between 400 and 1000 total mileage (don't wait for 500), I think that you should downshift it, and drive plenty of miles ramping up and down SLOWLY at higher RPMs (some in 3rd, some in 2nd, be sure to get within a few hundred RPMs of "redline". Buy a tank of premium gas for this effort.

There's only one chance to break them in right, if you baby them too much or do too much travel at a particular speed, through then entire first 1500, miles these engines will never be as good as the could have been.