TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
MukaboutintheNW

Default Another Camp Recipe: Calzones

I'm planning our menu for our upcoming camping trip and thought I would try calzones. I make them at home, so why not camping? I do it the easy way as follows. Just a warning that I don't cook with exact measurements, so you won't see any here, but its like pizza - you just throw on about how much looks right:

I buy the Rhodes frozen bread dough, it comes in a pack of 3 or 5 loaves in my supermarket. Each loaf makes 2 generous-sized calzones. Thaw according to package directions, letting it rise to about double - takes about 4-7 hours and can just be done on your counter covered with saran wrap in a bowl or pan.
Cut dough in half and just use your hands to form a circle, no need to knead. You'll need some olive oil or a little flour. I don't even bother with a rolling pin. Fill 1/2 the circle with your choice of fillings, you can be somewhat generous. Then fold the other 1/2 over, pinch the ends really well so your filling doesn't leak, and brush a little olive oil on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes on an olive-oil greased cookie sheet.

We use all sorts of fillings depending on what we have in the fridge or our mood:
Pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, olives, onions, ham and pineapple, etc. Always with mozzarella and parmesan, sometimes with ricotta. A sprinkle of oregano and red pepper flakes, pizza or marinara sauce.

But my favorite lately is as follows:
Spinach, onions, ricotta cheese, cooked chicken, sun dried tomatoes, oregano, basil, and parmesan. It is really tasty. For camping, I'll probably mix all the ingredients together and put in ziploc bag so its ready to go and easy to assemble when we are at the beach.

Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Sounds yummy! Will try some tomorrow. That is, while I wait to hear from the adjuster. Our Suburban was stolen this a.m. We're to leave for 10 days on the Current River. Can't haul our TM and 2 canoes with our Subaru. Sure hope they find it intact. Wish us luck. Olga and Ken, Northwoods, Florissant, MO.
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
MukaboutintheNW

So sorry to hear about your Suburban being stolen! I hope they recover it soon and in good condition. Take care Olga and Ken. Sharon
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
BrigCA61

Mmmm... those do sound good. I think I will print this one out and save it for cooler weather camping when it will feel nice to have the oven on inside the trailer. We love Calzones but have never tried making them myself - what a great idea you have and it looks easy enough to prepare! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
macdasher

We make these as well using storebought dough. We actually make small calzones (like the size of a store bought "Hot Pocket") and freeze them before we go camping. It's a lot more work to make many little ones but we can highly personalize them and we can just nuke the number of servings we want. It works out great for quick meals or snacks.

We've also made ham & cheese mini-calzones and cinnamon-apple desert calzones (egg wash for desert calzones as opposed to olive oil).