TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
retiredgoat

Default Floor Delamitating in front of couch

Hi All,

On my 2001 3326 the floor in front of the couch felt spongy to walk on (I did not notice it at the dealer) so I checked it out and the 1/4 inch plywood pulled away from the foam making the floor weak.

I called Ed at the factory and he said to use clear silicone caulking ???? I used gorilla glue just cus its a glue.

This along with plywood and big clamps and 24 hours later all is glued together very nicely "BUT" the floor still had an weakness to it like it was not strong enough to hold my weight. SOOOOOO I pondered a bit and looked harder at the structural aspect and it seemed to me the whole length side to side was supported by two wheels that help the couch bow slide in and out with nothing in the middle. That being said I fashioned and 2X4 into an 1 3/8 X 2 1/4 X 76 1/4 " and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet (to help sliding) and just laid it in place (I cut the carpet away enough too allow placement of the brace).

This is working very well so far and it is hidden behind the black rubber sweeper thing.

I don't have photo's yet but should soon. Note I did not spend any new money just used old pieces around the house which is the best. hahahaha
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

See if this thread does you any good.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=340

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
retiredgoat

Default Thats good info thanks

Thanks Bill,

I checked out the thread and it seams we all have the same setup and I did lift and support the box with not too much problem, kind of neat the way it's made.

Did you ever do any mods to this area?? I'm interested to other peoples results compared to what I crafted in mine. The slightly modified 2 X 4 with carpet on it really makes a big difference in the sturdiness of my couch floor, it's very sturdy feeling now.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As I recall, I mounted another roller wheel right in the center. It worked, but adding it wasn't fun. Shortly afterward, Denny_A put a block of wood in the center, and a slab of slippery plastic (polybutylene?) on top of it. A better and easier solution, I think. Anyway, in both our cases, it cured the squishy feeling in the floor, and since the floor wasn't flexing, it also stopped the delam problem.

Sounds like your solution is similar to Denny's - with the added advantage that it will cut down on drafts entering through that area. The one disadvantage that I can see comes from my own experience. On long trips, we put a lot of stuff on the slider floor in front of the couch. When the slider gets heavy, it also gets hard to slide, even with the wheel in place. A length of carpet will probably add a bit more drag. Solution? Don't put as much stuff on the floor as we do - OR - go inside the TM and move the extra stuff off the slider floor before sliding it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
retiredgoat

Default Good info

Thanks for sharing the insight, I'll remember to test the slide action with loads on it.

Have a great Fathers day.