TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
grakin

Default Excess Break-Away Cable Length?

When I connected things up the first time on my own, I found the breakaway cable was nearly dragging on the ground. I'd rather not have it snag on something, so I used a binder clip (normally used to hold documents together) to "shorten" the cable a bit but still allowing it room to move on turns. Does anyone have a better idea, or am I routing the cable wrong? (it goes from the breakaway device under everything to a hook on my bumper)
Old 04-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Freedom

They sell little things called swaging sleeves at Home Depot or Lowes that you can shorten the cable and make a new loop for hooking it up. I think you would need the 1/8 inch size. I'll try to attach a picture.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
John Kelly

Default Universal Solution

I use a a piece of duct tape. Has to be replced once in a while and let wire slide between tape on bottom.

John & Marion
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
camp2canoe

I use the same method as Leon - ratchet type wire ties. A variety of sizes should be a staple of your TV/TM kit. Another item to carry is silicone tape. There are probably many brands but I've had good luck with Atomic Tape. They have a website and make the rounds of boat shows. You can use it for plumbing repairs, electrical repairs and even temporary repair of a leaking radiator hose or tailpipe. You do need to be able to wrap it all the way around the object as it binds to itself. - Camp2Canoe
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I guess I'm not clear on how you use cable ties to SHORTEN a wire that's too long. Help me out here, someone?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Jubolo

I use chain "Quick Links", to take up the excess chain.

Check "West Marine" under chain, then towing.

Run about $5.00!

Also Lowes and Wallys World!!!

Fred
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
MarknMaqhi

I use cable ties as well... make a small loop or 2 in the middle and then use the cable ties to tie it together
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Freedom

If you make a loop in the cable and then tie it to itself with a couple of wire ties or duct tape you have effectively "shortened" the cable. I'll attach a very crude drawing. . . Not crude that way!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Another item to carry is silicone tape. There are probably many brands but I've had good luck with Atomic Tape. They have a website and make the rounds of boat shows. You can use it for plumbing repairs, electrical repairs and even temporary repair of a leaking radiator hose or tailpipe. You do need to be able to wrap it all the way around the object as it binds to itself.
This is wonderful stuff. As Camp2Canoe noted, there is no sticky layer on the tape - overlapping layers actually melt ("fuse") into each other, forming a single layer of rubber that is waterproof, strong, flexible and can't be removed except by cutting the entire wrap.

By the way, Ace Hardware carries this stuff for $2.29 for a 22-foot roll - considerably less than the Atomic Tape website. Ace calls it Rubber Slicing Tape, and they stock it right beside plain old vinyl electrical tape. Other stores may call it something else, but the important thing is to look for the words "self-fusing".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Break Away Cable

I had to replace the Break Away Cable after the original was somehow severed in transit. Anyway, the replacement cable had a different plastic connecting device that connects to the break away switch on the trailer frame. Rather than hunt around for an exact replacement, I cut the old connector device off the orginal cable, and used the previously mentioned cable swaging sleeves to form a loop on the new cable. I used a vise to crimp the sleeves.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote