TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Carol Hagy

Default Weight Distribution

When I tow my 2619 TM my Pilot raises up in the front so there's hardly any weight in the front at all. Is there a way to correct this?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
sharoden

Do you an adjustable receiver type ball on your TV? It maybe be set to high.

When you look at your combined hook up is the TM level? Have you load a lot of extra stuff in the front of the TM increasing the tongue weight?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Caver
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Hagy View Post
When I tow my 2619 TM my Pilot raises up in the front so there's hardly any weight in the front at all. Is there a way to correct this?
That's why most of us use a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). I even use one with my Chevy Tahoe.

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Carol -

To emphasize what Caver has said, this is a very dangerous thing you are doing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get familiar with the concept of a weight distributing hitch (WDH), and then get one and install it. The Pilot is a very small vehicle to be using without a WDH, and you are inviting a tragedy. With no weight on the front end, the handling/steering will be lousy, especially in an emergency situation.

Open the Search tool and type in "Pilot" to look for posts about the Pilot in particular.

Open the search tool and type in "WDH" to find posts about the hitch - there are hundreds of them!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Carol Hagy

Hi All,

Thanks for the information. The TM is sitting level but the front of the Pilot still sits high. I'm definitely going to have the equil-izer/anti sway installed before my next camping trip. I was never really comfortable with it sitting this way and always took my time. The dealer who sold me theTM was aware of the situation but never said anything. Go figure! Anyway, thanks again. Happy camping.

Carol
Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Carol Hagy

I don't have a lift hitch. We just turned it around to be higher because when the hitch was turned to be lower the TM wasn't level. I'll speak to the RV place and see what they can suggest when I get the equi-lizer installed. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
IF the TM is level and the tv is high in the front, then your hitch ball is too high.
I'm sorry, Leon, but that makes no sense to me. She is seeing the TM level and TV high in front without a WDH. If she lowers the hitch ball, all it will accomplish is to make the TM low in front. The TV will still be high in front.

She needs to start by installing and properly adjusting a WDH. "Properly adjusted", of course, means that the tow vehicle has been returned to level. At that point, if the TM is not level, THEN the hitch ball height can be adjusted. But not before.

I know you know this - I think you were typing too fast.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I'm guessing it's maybe half-way between Leon and Bill. I assume Leon wants to facilitate both the TV and TM being level after a WDH is added. The Pilot will sink a little both front and back when the WDH does it's thing so fine tuning may be necessary either way. It's always good to see our two resident experts disagree on something -- let's people know it's not an exact science and they need to read it all and make their own decision.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
PopBeavers

I once measured my truck to see what happens when I hook up the TM. My rear bumper sags about 3/4 inch and the front bumper lifts about 1/2 inch. I do not use a WD hitch, but I have a rather large truck. I would think that with a WD hitch you would be able to keep both front and rear sag to be identical. You could probably even push the front down, but that is likely not a very good idea.

It seems to me that it would be desirable to have the same sag both front and rear. That way you won't have a problem with headlight adjustment.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Freedom

Actually I think Bill And Leon are saying the same thing in different ways. The hitch ball would in fact be too high as leon says - if you read his last statement - "when the WDH is installed." The TV will sag in the rear and the TM will sag in the front until the WDH is properly installed.