TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
P M Owl

Default TM wannabe, with tow rig question

I've been salivating over prospective TM ownership for about 2 years; just recently made the jump from a Jayco Eagle 10 to a Hi Lo 1706 (another story for another thread). My TV is a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab 4WD with 4.7 V8, 5-speed manual, 3.92 limited-slip, full factory tow package & heavy duty support group.

Tow rating info I previously gleaned from the TM website listed my rating in the 5900-6000 lbs range. The tow rating info currently available from the website shows a range of about 4900-5100 lbs.

I just recently discovered your forum, and, like many others, am duly impressed with the knowledge & willingness to help in residence here.

Does anybody out there have an answer to this apparent inconsistency??

Gary
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
P M Owl

LOL . . . . . . . Leon, you didn't disappoint me with the reaction to the Jayco / Hi Lo exchange!! It was a combination of a burning desire to upgrade from the tent trailer without sacrificing the road manners of a low profile rig. Economics played a large part, too (not finding the TM I wanted for the $'s I was willing to spend). Then, factor in finding such a "screamin' deal" that I figure to use the Hi Lo for 2-3 years & be able to sell it for what I paid (and then be likely to find the desired TM for the desired $ outlay).
We are close to retirement date, & unwilling to finance a new TM until we see how the retirement income cash flow works for a while.

No luck (so far) on the Dodge website, and my experience has been that dealerships are spectacularly ignorant of specification info (I usually know much more than any salesperson I can find).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The Dodge web site is pretty obscure, isn't it? I checked the numbers for the 2007 models at http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/TowingGuide.jsp# and found:

2007 Dakota SLT, Quad Cab, 4x2, 4.7-Liter High-Output V8 MPI Engine, Multi-Speed Overdrive Automatic Transmission
With 3.92 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 6950 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)=6010
Payload=1430
Curb Weight=4580
Curb WeightFront/Rear=2591/1989
GAWR Front/Rear=3100/3600
Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)=11700

Does this have any relevance to your 2000 model? I don't know, but it might. I also found http://www.allpar.com/reviews/dakota.html, a non-Dodge web site that says for the 2000 Dakota
Engine Transmission Towing Power
3.9 V6 NV-3500 five-speed, 42RE automatic 4,900 lb 175 hp, 225 lb-ft
4.7 V8 NV-3500 five-speed, 45RFE automatic 6,100 lb 235 hp, 295 lb-ft
5.9 V8 46RE automatic 6,350 lb 245 hp, 335 lb-ft.

This is more-or-less in line with your thinking and with the TM web site. It sounds like the discrepancy you describe is a really confusion between the 3.9L vs 4.7L engine.

In general, I would trust the manufacturer's web site over anyone else's.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
P M Owl

Thanks, Bill . . . . . . . I think your conclusions are probably correct. Dodge is somewhat frustrating on their website in that you can find contemporary model specs, but not prior models. Then, too, I believe my unusual drive line (5-speed manual) is no longer available with a V8, and that further complicates the search.

The "allpar" website looks like pretty good info, albeit lacking the very worthwhile GCWR, GVWR, & GAWR data.

Maybe I just trusted the TM website data too much (you all are so much "on top of" your info, I figured it must trickle down from the top . . . . . . . LOL).

Thanks much for your search & reply time.

Gary
Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Trailer Life mag has tow ratings from 1999 to present

See Tow Ratings at bottom of the following:
http://www.trailerlife.com/
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
lnussbau

One other possibility on the difference in tow specs, is if you read one set with an automatic transmission and another set with manual -- my manual shows less capacity with a manual transmission.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Bill & Lisa

incase the other link didn't work you can try this one....
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Chevy and Ford do a good job at breaking out all the variants and whether you are towing a conventional trailer or a 5er but Dodge is not so accomadating.

Bill
Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
P M Owl

Default TM wannabe: Thanks, & a new question

Many thanks to all who responded.

The "Trailerlife.com" info, on surface appraisal, looks to be the most reliable, since it is the most specific as to make, model, & engine / transmission / rear axle driveline combinations. I love my TV almost as much as many of you love your TM's. I hunted for 3 months in the used vehicle marketplace to find my peculiar driveline combo (I'm a dyed-in-the-wool stick-shifter), and wintertime visits to grandkids in southwestern Colorado made 4WD a desired if not necessary part of the package.

When I had the little Jayco tent trailer, I tended to be of the "grab-n-go" and "what-can-possibly-go-wrong" school of unbridled optimism. Now that I have something a little heftier trundling around behind my Dakota, I decided to do some homework and (hopefully) become a little better "tow-educated".

OK . . . . . next question (for those of you who have pickup-type TV's):

I am somewhat less than enthralled with the slide-in bedliner that came with the truck, and am seriously considering dismounting my camper shell and sending the truck out somewhere for one of those "spray-in" bedliner treatments. Would anybody out there care to venture any strong pro or con opinions on this (and on the multitude of "spray-in" vendors out there)??

Gary
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
PopBeavers

My 97 Dakota came with the plastic add in liner. It is ok. Some people report rust under the plastic, but that has not been my experience in the 10 years and 192k miles.

My 2003 Silverado has the spray in X-Liner. I bought it used and that is what it had.

The plastic liner is slippery when wet. I have almost fallen a couple of times. The X-Liner is not slippery when wet.

My plastic liner covers up the rope hooks in the front. I don't like the idea of cutting holes in the plastic liner as that would likely allow even more water to get under the plastic liner.

I prefer the X-Liner over the plastic slide in liner.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
ragmopp

I had Rhino Liner in my previous two pickups. Outstanding stuff. It was appx. a 1/4" at the minimum and I never penetrated it with anything. I had a load of rock at one time and was using a pointed shovel (don't go there!) and I made a good attempt at gouging the lining. Well it didn't do anything. period. I have Linex on my JD Gator and am not impressed with it at all. After 4 years it is starting to peal.

Now on my current pickup I am using a 'Bed Rug'. This is a rug of sorts that looks like carpeting but is actually plastic. That's why it is completely unaffected by water, dirt, grease, oil, acids, bleach or solvents. Cargo won't slide every time you start or stop. Perfect for delicate instruments, tools, and appliances. It can be hosed off and cleaned and it is comfortable to sit on. My Tacoma came with a plastic bed (factory) and anything placed on it slid all over the place, this works for us much better. I didn't get the Rhino lining only because this suits our current needs.
Mike Anderson