TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
rtneyhart

Default Looking at TM, question about my tow rig.

I am looking at a 1999 TM 3124 King (KB?). My tow rig is a 2003 Chevrolet S10 LS 4WD Crew Cab. It has a 4.3L V6, 4L60E 4-speed AT, and 3.42 rear axle. GM lists a maximum trailer weight of 5,200 lbs. (2,361 kg) and GCWR of 9,500 lbs. (4,309 kg). Camping will be my wife and I, and our two small daughters plus our camping gear, etc. Should we be OK to tow this camper with our truck?

Russ
Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
rtneyhart

It has a/c, a water heater, and two propane tanks.

Also... where did you get the map by your user name to show where you've camped?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
rtneyhart

We aren't going through any high mountains, just a few hills in eastern upstate New York along the Northway (I-87). We're only going for a week.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Freedom

Last year we did a six week 10,000 mile trip and took everything we needed except for a few food items we had to replenish - milk, bread, water, etc. We spent two weeks on the way to Williamsburg, VA, two weeks in a time share there and two weeks on the way home. We actually only spent 4 weeks in the TM. We tow with a GMC Jimmy and averaged about 15 miles per gallon. It has the same engine/running gear as your pickup but a shorter wheel base. We also only have a 2619, so that's lighter and shorter than the 3124. We usually drive at 65 even if the speed limit is higher. Over 65 the Jimmy really sucks up the gas - we can watch it on the trip calculator. 60 would probably be better MPG wise, but then you might get run over by a big rig! The only times we couldn't go 65 were on Lookout Pass and the pull out of Denver up to the Eisenhower Tunnel. We stayed on freeways as much as we could.