TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I have to admit that we towed our 5th wheel for 10 yrs and 80K miles with the fridge running on propane -- with the TM it's not necessary and would be more dangerous because of the closed top. As I recall, the danger of running with propane tanks on in hard-side trailers is that hoses could be severed in an accident and contribute to an already bad situation.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #32
Goodyear Travels

I haven't read any threads from TM'ers who actually installed K & N intake systems on 3.4L Toyota engines so I'm going to share my experience with you. First, let me say that nearly everyone who installed the intake system on Tundras with V8's has had very unsatisfactory performance results. If I remember right -- K & N's own dyno testing results -- fairly predict that the unit does not enhance performance except at the extreme upper limit of the RPM range for this particular vehicle. So poor performance should come as no surprise to anyone who saw the dyno results. But I have to say that, personally, I am very pleased with the performance gains that I have experienced on little Tacoma with its 3.4L engine and its 5 spd tranny. I get a significant boost (about 10-12 HP?) from about 2600 rpm all the way up to redline. It can be a bit noisy though when giving it a lot of gas and pulling hills. I haven't been above 5K yet -- but my wife and I had no trouble going 59 mph up 6% grades at 5K with the truck bed loaded & pulling a 2720sl. I could have coaxed it up the hill even faster but what's the rush. I don't know if you would get the same performance results with an automatic tranny and it is possible that the K & N could actually affect how your tranny shifts. You also would have to be very careful not to over-oil your filter cause you can really screw up your mass air control flow sensor and this can cost you big bucks. A little oil goes a long way. I learned this from someone on the TM forum who had once been a site sponsor for a Tundra forum. He was not exactly a fan of the K & N intake system. Anyway -- I love my Tacoma and it's little 3.4L engine loves to pull our TM. I won't be the first to the top of the mountain but neither will I be the last. I think the intake system performs differently on different vehicles -- so that performance generalizations should be avoided. I installed it on mine and I'm very satisified, but you'll get a boatload of negatives from folks with other vehicle applications. I wish you many safe and wonderful adventures in your TM. Find your Self in the great out-of-doors.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #33
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
If my Trailblazer has an isolator, I don't know it..... How do I find out?
Take a look at this diagram. With the TM disconnected, and using either a meter or a test light, note the voltage between the upper right connection (12 volt battery charge) and lower left connection (ground). If the meter shows power regardless of whether the ignition is on or off, you don't have an isolator. If the power is on when the ignition is on, and off when the ignition is off, you have an isolator.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #34
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Thank you kempert

kempert, thanks for the info about the fire extinguishers.

The information you gave about fire extinguishers needing to be agitated is really good to know. I just went out and checked ours (the one in the garage), it's got to be at least 10 years old and we've never done that. The one in the TM probably needs to be replaced too.

I had a car catch on fire about 25 years ago on Hwy 680 in San Jose. I was in the fast lane and suddenly the engine died. I didn't know it was on fire. I had to make it across 4 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. When I pulled over, I looked out over the hood, and the paint was kind of starting to bubble in one spot and turning black (at this point I couldn't figure out why). And then the smoke started curling up from under the hood. Luckily, someone with a fire extinguisher came along (I was waving my arms and shouting for someone to call the fire department, as if they could hear me). We couldn't get the hood open because the cable had expanded from the heat, so he kicked in the front grill (which somehow opened the hood) and put out the fire with his extinguisher. When we looked into the engine compartment the master brake fluid cylinder (which was plastic) was flaming like a tiny Olympic torch. I'll never forget that sight. I later found out that a fitting had worked loose from the carburetor and gas was spilling over the engine and the spark plugs...

That was my beloved 1971 Capri...I had the engine rebuilt and and put over 250K on that car.

Yep, we need new fire extinguishers.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #35
PopBeavers

Re: improving engine horsepower.

I don't have an opinion, but on RV.NET this is a common topic. The general consensus seems to be that for towing that torque is more important than horsepower.

Re: Chevys and testing if you have a battery isolator.

I have added a battery disconnect switch to the TM. If the TM is plugged in to the TV, TV has ignition off, I can turn on the lights on the outside of the TM. Obviously my Chevy Crew Cab dos not have an isolator of any kind.

Re; engine fires

I would not encourage opening the hood of a car when there is a suspect engine fire. Opening the hood increase the flow of oxygen, which is not a good idea.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #36
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Absent responses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
In our state, Washington, it is illegal to run the refrigerator on propane while towing the trailer. I believe in many other states it is also......snip.....
....to my request for "actual regs" regarding retrictions on using LP whilst towing, I did my own research.

Here's a summary page of RV Road Laws from RVSafely.com.

Note that all restrictions on LP use involve tunnels. NY, NJ, VA, MA. Washington has NO restrictions whatsoever.

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm#NY

Quote:
Washington Road Laws
Quote:

Size Limitations: Height, 14'; Width, 8'6"; Trailer length, none stated; Motorhome length, 46'; Combined length, 75'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs, brakes on trailers of 3,000 pounds, breakaway switch required on trailers over 3,000 pounds.

Passengers may ride in truck campers only. Overnight parking is permited in state rest areas not to exceed eight hours.
whereas NY has several:

Quote:
New York Road Laws

Quote:

Size Limitations Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6" (there are some exceptions or restrictions to this); Trailer length, 48'; Motorhome length, 45'; Combined length, 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, brakes on trailer over 1,000 pounds unladen, 3,000 pounds laden. Lights/wipers must be on during required conditions.

Riding is permitted in pickup camper only. Overnight parking in state rest areas is "as posted".

Motorhomes and trailers are NOT permitted on the Taconic State Parkway. Trailers are not permitted on most parkways.

LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, New Jersey lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and the George Washington Bridge Expressway between Manhattan and Weehawken, New Jersey: Lincoln Tunnel. LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and between Manhattan and Queens on the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Denny_A