TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #21
jellis

To Markandanne,

I just picked up the store brand tire pressure monitors at my local O'Reilly Automotive parts store and they have worked just fine. They had several different pressure caps, including 30, 50 and 60 psi. I have also seen them at NAPA stores. Had never heard of leaks and I haven't experienced any, but at only $2.50 or so each, I can't imagine that they're made with a great deal of quality control. I would just try them individually and throw out any that leaked.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #22
markandanne

Thanks for the link Bill, and the info on the local store brands Jellis. We'll do one or the other before our big 3500 mile or so trip in June. It seems like cheap insurance.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
jellis

Default WAIT On Tire Pressure Monitors

I'm afraid I have to eat my words about how good the tire pressure sensor caps are. I went in today to buy another set for my truck. The clerk at O'Reilly Automotive said they had quit carrying the caps I liked so well because there had been reports of the caps leaking to the extent that it had ruined tires.

He added that it appears people were just adding air without checking the pressure, and that resulting very high pressure had caused the failures. There is not proof of this, of course, so the company felt their only recourse was to discontinue carrying the brand.

I would hope the manufacturer would come up with a way to fix this problem because they are potentially a great product.

I didn't check with NAPA stores. They may carry a different brand or perhaps have not had the same usage experience.

My apologies to anyone who bought based on my recommendation. I would now say remove them if you have any doubt.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It sounds like others are experiencing the same thing I see just about everyday in my business concerning the valve stems. There are a lot of import valve stems, that aren't really holding up too well. Here is an article from one of my tire trade journals all the way back in 2001. Believe me, the problem has only gotten worse in the later years.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr20134.htm

I sorta remember talking about this before and went back and found this post from last year.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...9&postcount=11

Yes, Virgina Deacon, as far as the metal stems rubber grommet.....you can see it actually dry rot/crack when it gets old. You can also just replace the rubber piece, instead of the whole metal stem, when the time comes.
I am giving this topic a little bump. There are several recalls going on right now, that affect millions of valve stems. These stems will also be on your vehicles, and not just your trailers.

Dill just announced a recall affecting about 2 million stems.

recall link

This is on top of the millions of stems that Tech recalled earlier this year. What interests me is that they say they will notify owners. There is NO WAY they know who has these stems on their vehicles.

At least Dill set up a website to try and help owners somewhat, including identifying their stems by their valve cap. It appears they were sold thru some national retailers like Big O, Sears, Les Shwab. Here is a link to the site:

http://www.tirevalverecall.net./recallinformation.html
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
Scott O

I'm not going to go into details as it was discussed on this forum several months ago, but there was a recent recall of valve stems from China. The problem is as you described - cracking and then failure. I understand that TM used them (as well as most other dealers - both automobile and trailer) on recent (past 3 years) models but have no confirmation on this. My wife's 2 year old Bridgestones had them. Problem is that to find the part number of the stem you must remove the tire. If you do a Google search on "valve stem recall" you will get more info than you want. I wonder how many of the failures we have blamed on the tires were actually caused by the valve stems... My personal response to this is going to be new 15" tires/wheels with metal stems. A little money for some piece of mind!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #26
mac_falls

Default Valve Stems

Just my 2 cents worth on the bad valve stems, 2 of my "dills" were bad, one which was cracked in two places almost all the way through. My TM was new in 03/07 with tire dates of 3506. According to the Dill recall The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration believes that "as many as 30 million of the suspected valve stems have been distributed in the North American market," since 2006. The suspected valves were distributed by Dill Air Control Products. I now have metal valve stems in everything I tow or drive. Hopefully one less worry as we go on our merry way!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
Scott O

Yep, there was a recall of sorts (how do you track and recall them?) on valve stems within the last year. About a zillion of them which were made in China. I was told that TM used them. If you do a Google search you might find some info. I suspect that many of the blowouts blamed on Marathons were actually caused by the valve stems. Problem is, you can't get the number of the stems you have without taking the tire off as the code is inside. If you do this you might as well put on metal stems. I would recommend doing this anyhow.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
wmtire

Yeah, I sold 4 stems today to a customer who had bought new tires (and stems) from another dealer 2 years ago. Everyone of them was almost cracked all the way thru.

Any of our customers (the ones who have bought tires from us in the past few years), we are replacing their stems free of charge as they come in for rotations, flats, etc.. if we observe cracking. There is no way (even as a dealer) to really know if we bought or installed any of these defective stems, because so many of the manufacturers farmed it out to China (which is where all the bad stems came from).
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
lower creek

Default looking for metal stems

i live in columbus ,ga and cant find metal stems anywhere. any idea where they might be sold? have been looking on the internet and dont know who might be reputable.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #30
rumbleweed

You can get these at many trailer supply stores of from Wmtire post before yours. If no luck, let me know I will get here and send to you. They are very inexpensive and could save you a lot of money in repairs.