TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
MARIA1

Default Valve Stems

I believe Trailmanor needs to check the valve stems on their tires.
Both of mine deterioted within a year and a half. I was told by the place that replaced mine that any tire over 40lbs pressure should have a metal stem. Don't know about that but it makes sense. You'll know when your valve stem is shot when you try to put air in the tire and it leaks out around the valve stem.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

You didn't say how old the tires are, but the air leak you describe often happens with old valve stems. That's why most tire shops include new valve stems when they install new tires.

I've never used metal valve stems on any of the high-pressure tires on my trailers and everything has been OK. Don't know anyone else that has used them, either.

Have a great day!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
ddnavar

I agree with maria1 . My valve stems were rotted in 2005, and I have a 2004 TM 3124ks. I had to replace all 3 valve stems "spare" and 1 tire because of a flat.
Easy way to check them is to bend the valve stem and see if there is any splitting or checking on the stem, especially at the base.
I also have a feeling that the axle my 2004 TM was mounted on was around for a while. They are not the Dexter lube system with the rubber on the bearing cap.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Magdefrau

It's been removed from the Forum, but I posted a problem on our first trip with our TM a little over a year ago. Our tire pressure failed in one tire. Before a month past on the second trip the other tire lost pressure. The spare tire was flat also. The valve stems had cracked not from missuse but short life span of the rubber. Wal Mart cheap rubber replacements look good at the same life span. This is not to speak poorly of anyone or fault the TM Workmanship. The item "Value Stem" within this lot has a intense requirement for inspection. As written before, owners need to push on the valve stem and look for cracks in the rubber, it found to have cracks, stop by Wal Mart and get replacement. Rubber ones do just fine. Knowledge is a good thing. A year has gone by without any other tire problems. I have read that tires and tire pressure are the most easily misunderstood concept in manageing a camper trailor. It seems to me that tire need to be check alot. Wives, you should be worried if your husband isn't always fooling with the trailor's tires. I have also read that four years is it in the life of a trailor tire. Evenif thay still look good.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Madgefrau,

Wives, you should be worried if your husband isn't always fooling with the trailor's tires

You trying to get us all in trouble here?? Seriously though, you are right in my opinion. Tires seem to be the "weakest link" in all trailers and deserve careful attention.
Mark
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Can anyone tell me the hole size for the valve stem is? .435?
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
hingarfi

Default Failed Valve Stem

Just wanted to add my story on valve stems. My 2005 3023 blew a tire and the cause was the rubber valve stem according to the repair shop. He checked the other tire and the valve stem was checked and leaking. These tires were about 30 months old and had about 15000 miles on them. I had just set the pressure at 62 PSI about 500 miles before the blowout. No problem controlling the TM at 60 MPH. Rim was ruined but no damage to the wheel well. Now I have 3 metal valve stems.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default State Inspection Due

March was inspection month for our TrailManor, but we were too busy to get it done. I'm actually glad, because it gave time for this topic to resurface on the forum! When I get the inspection done this month, I plan on asking Southern RV if they recommend replacing the original valve stems with metal ones - an how much it would cost.

Since the Marathons should probably be replaced in another year or two, waiting is another option.

How are we supposed to know when it's time to replace metal valve stems, or does the rubber at the rim show cracks when it's time?

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
mtnguy

When I upgraded to 15" wheels and tires, I installed metal valve stems, mainly because I had read on this forum about the weight of the Doran Pressure Pro TPMS recievers bending the rubber valve stems at speed due to centrifigal force. The metal valve stems are another little item that contributes to my towing peace of mind.

Chap
Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
wmtire

It sounds like others are experiencing the same thing I see just about everyday in my business concerning the valve stems. There are a lot of import valve stems, that aren't really holding up too well. Here is an article from one of my tire trade journals all the way back in 2001. Believe me, the problem has only gotten worse in the later years.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr20134.htm

I sorta remember talking about this before and went back and found this post from last year.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...9&postcount=11

Yes, Virgina Deacon, as far as the metal stems rubber grommet.....you can see it actually dry rot/crack when it gets old. You can also just replace the rubber piece, instead of the whole metal stem, when the time comes.