TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Hitheroadave

Default Weight Distributing Hitch ?

I have researched this and I am still somewhat confused as to what to do. I
am buying a new 2007, 3326 King TM and was going with the Reese Trunnion
Style WDH that my dealer was getting for me. With my expected loaded tongue weight of 750 to 800lbs I wanted the 1000lbs bars . The Trunnion is rated at 600, 800 or 1200lb. I called Reese and they said the 800 would be maxed out and the 1200 would be to much. They said go with the 1000 lb round bar Reese. I have noticed many TM owners going with Equalizer WDH despite the factory advise of not using any sway control . The Equalizer seems to be a little easier to adjust from what I gather. My truck is a 2005 Double Cab 4x4 Toyota Tundra with the factory tow package. What hitch should I use?

Dave
Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Dave

You may want to check the forums over at http://www.rv.net for more info on hitches. I don't recall anyone here talking about the Reese trunion and I've never heard of anyone formally comparing/testing WDHs. Several here have the Equal-i-zer (including us) but I can't say how it compares to the Reese. I do know that both use friction (although in different ways) to resist sway and have to be designed to yield enough so you can negotiate curves on a wet road. There are at least three hitches in the $3K price range that control sway in a more positive way if you are looking for a "sure thing".
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
SireMike

I tow a 3124ks with a 2004 4runner.

I have a valley wdh with no sway bar attachment.

I have not experienced any type of sway yet but I have not traveled out west yet with high crosswinds.

Mike
Old 10-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
idaho-steve

Dave,

I did quite a bit of searches on this forum about the need for a WDH. I eventually went with the Equal-i-zer due to its design as a WDH. Its anti-sway properties were not a factor for me. There is a pretty good consensus here that sway is not a problem with the TM. I have towed with and without my WDH in the rockies and agree completely.

RockyMountainRay is this forum's resident expert on WDH and his "extra margin of safety" arguement finally swayed me (pun not intended).

For what it is worth, I liked the ease of use of the Equalizer. I obtained one new on EBay for around $400. Installation is fairly easy but some members here have reported some need for minor modifications with their particular models so you might want to read up on that if you go that route.

Other models of WDH have their advocates so read up and best of luck.

Steve
Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
pbuck1

Dave,
Firstly, I'd revisit your tongue weight estimate if I were you. The 3326K max weight is 4916lbs fully loaded. The trailer is overloaded if you go above that. With TM's tongue weight recommendation of 15%, the max tongue weight should be 737lbs for the maxed out trailer load. Unless you're going load the trailer to the last possible ounce, I would say a more typical tongue weight would be in the region of 650 to 700 lbs.
Secondly, the lbs rating of the bars is not the tongue weight they'll handle, it refers to the maximum force that the bars can exert on the hitch (each).
Thirdly, that force is adjustable by selecting the chain link to use ( a coarse adjustment) and also by tilting the ball at the hitch (usually a finer adjustment). So you're not stuck with having to use all the force that each bar can produce.
People with the 2619 -3023 find 600 to 800 lb bars perfectly adequate. 800lb might be adequate for you too, but if you have a biggish TM and TV, then by all means go for the 1000lbs or the 1200lb bars. The 1200lbs won't be too much - you can adjust the force they produce for what's needed.
I have the Reese trunnion WDH and I like it a lot. A lot of people on this forum swear by the Equalizer - I'm sure it's excellent - but you won't need the sway control if you load your TM properly.

-Paul
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
RCCBV1

As you can see from my signature, I went down the Equalizer path. This was because of a bad experience I had towing a normal TT. Now that I have towed the TM, I can understand that sway control may not be necessary. However, as has been pointed out in various posts on the forum, you do need to keep the weight distributed correctly on the TM to prevent or minimize the chance of sway. You also need to make sure that the hitch weight is balanced on both axles of the tow vehicle. After you tow your new TM for a while, you will be able decide if you need any additional equipment to tow the TM.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Paul,

1000# tongue weight is not out of reason for a 3326!

To your 737# add 150# for the hitch and at least 200# for the additional stuff added to the back of the TV for the trip.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Hitheroadave

Thank you all for your comments. Mike you make a good point but it adds to my confusion over the correct pound rating for the WDH I will need. Are there any Moderators that can give me their opinion before I put this to rest and order my WDH ? Everyone I ask about this subject seems to a have a slightly different take on what is needed. From what I have found on my search is that many of you have had to replace the bars on their WDH with heavyer ones than the Dealer installed. I thought I would try to avoid that mistake if possible.

Dave
Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Dave

I should add that your Tundra (per Consumers Reports) is 600lbs heavier on the front axle than the rear sitting empty. In comparison the Toyota Sequoia is only 200lbs heavier on the front. Depending on how you load your Tundra for towing, you may be able to use lighter bars to achieve proper balance than a Sequoia owner needs. This difference in axle loading design for pickups and SUVs seems to be consistent across manufacturers. I assume SUVs are designed so they'll be balanced when loaded with people and their stuff while pickups are designed for that plus a load in the back. Trailer tongue weight is the same as a load in the back.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Hitheroadave

Frank
So , are the 800Lb bars what you are refering to?

Dave