TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
masterge

Default Equalizer/Weight Distribution hitch or not?

Do you need Equalizer/Weight Distribution hitch or not? I here TrailManor says to just tow with the ball and that that adding any sway/weight control is not needed and will might very well mask an overloading problem. I will be towing with a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with a Prodigy Controller, tranny cooler.

Do I really need anything other than a basic hitch set-up?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterge
Do you need Equalizer/Weight Distribution hitch or not? I here TrailManor says to just tow with the ball and that that adding any sway/weight control is not needed and will might very well mask an overloading problem. I will be towing with a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with a Prodigy Controller, tranny cooler.

Do I really need anything other than a basic hitch set-up?
TrailManor says otherwise on http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Misc/Info&FAQ/FAQ.htm
"We recommend using a Class 3 hitch with load equalizing bars for most vehicles (not necessary on heavy trucks). The load equalizing bars transfer weight to balance the load between the front and rear wheels, which is necessary to level the vehicle and keep proper front end alignment on the tow vehicle. Your TrailManor dealer can recommend the proper hitch for your specific tow vehicle."

I have read on this forum that the sway control could mask loading problems.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Harry Womack

Default hitch

I have a 2007 Suburban. I think the Avalanche has the same suspension. I only use a friction type sway control. The 2007 suspension is so soft compared to my 2000 Suburban. I am going to add air bags inside of the coil springs when they are available. How is the gas mileage on the new Avalanche? Mine is terrible. My 2000 Suburban got better gas mileage without the V8-V4 high-tech engine.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Most full-size SUVs are designed so that, sitting empty, they have close to equal weight on the front and rear axles. Conversely, full-size pickups (particularly heavy-duty 1/2 tons and 3/4 and above) are designed with significantly more weight (7-900lbs) on the front axle than the rear. My understanding is that they do this so you can fill the SUV with people and their gear and remain well balanced while you can add the same people to the pickup plus a camper or the nose of a 5th wheel trailer in the bed without totally upsetting things. Your Avalance is balanced more like an SUV (52%front-48%rear) so an extra 4-500lbs hung on the back bumper is likely to lighten your front axle more than you want. I'd suggest getting a WDH although I don't totally disagree with Harry's suggestion of AirLifts in your rear coil springs. The Suburban/Avalanches at 6-7000lbs are close to twice as heavy as some TVs being used to tow TMs so you have more options. Equal weight on all three axles would be ideal IMO however.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I have a 1500 hd crew cab truck. In a conversation with the factory for a different issue they advised me that I do not need a WDH and I have never yet read where the factory has advised anyone o add anti-sway bars.

When I hitch up with a full load, my rear bumper will sag less than one inch.

I don't recall the exact weights, but when I weighed it all, the TM axle was 3380 and the front and rear axle of the TV were very nearly the same. Within 200 pounds of each other.

When I first got the TM it seemed a little squirrelly when towing. When I increased the TV tire pressure from 55 to 75 psi the problem went away.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
masterge

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Womack
I have a 2007 Suburban. I think the Avalanche has the same suspension. I only use a friction type sway control. The 2007 suspension is so soft compared to my 2000 Suburban. I am going to add air bags inside of the coil springs when they are available. How is the gas mileage on the new Avalanche? Mine is terrible. My 2000 Suburban got better gas mileage without the V8-V4 high-tech engine.

Gas mileage is pretty good. I'm just over a 100 mile so I won't see MPG until about 2500 miles. But I just drove to Tucson on Saturday (about 350 miles during trip) and average around 20 MPG. The 2007 Avalanche is actually built on the same body as the Tahoe. Front end is identical to the Tahoe.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
masterge

Ok, brain isn't working. Can somone just recommend a WDH hitch to use with my 2007 Avalanche and a 2007 2720 that won't interfere with the swing hitch.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't expect to find any WDH that interferes with the swing hitch - I think TM has done a pretty good job of designing the swing hitch with that in mind. However, there is one thing that you might check. When the trailer is hooked up, and the spring bars are set properly into their sockets, then the tips of the spring bars are beneath the TM frame rails. The chains at the tips of the spring bars should rise straight up to the hooks. The hooks are on brackets that slip over the TM's frame rails. The brackets MUST be in that position, give or take maybe 1/2", so that the chains will be vertical, not slanted. Obviously if some part of the swing hitch mechanism occupies that location, then the brackets can't go there. The solution is longer or shorter spring bars.

Did that make any sense? I can make a sketch if that would help. The important thing is that the chains hang vertically (or close to it) beneath the hooks.

You can see (kinda) the hooks in the photos in the 6th post in this thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3665.
The brackets that hold the hooks are behind the swing hitch hinge, and in front of the swinging support arms to the slider.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Harry Womack

Default air bag suspension

The reason for putting the air bags inside of the springs verses the the WDH is with just our family of 6 sags the suspension down.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ah, Harry -

With a big, long-wheelbase vehicle like a Suburban, you can get away with this. My Dad had a series of Suburbans, and they were wonderful tow vehicles.

But, with a smaller / shorter wheelbase vehicle, air bags are NOT the right solution. They get the headlights pointed correctly, but that's all. They don't relieve the rear suspension of all the excess weight, particularly important if you pack a lot of stuff in the way-back. And they don't put weight back on the front wheels, when the tongue weight of the trailer unweights them and makes the handling squirrelly. Only a WDH can do these things.

It is fine to suggest air bags as a fix for the Suburban, with its long wheelbase, but please make it clear in your posts that it is not an appropriate fix for most vehicles. Otherwise, you can seriously mislead the owners of smaller, shorter-wheelbase vehicles.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote