TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Waynel

Default Is it possible to tow small boat behind TM

Is it pobbible to tow a 14 ft flatbottom aluminum boat behind a TM. We are considering purchasing a TM 3123ks. We will be using a 2005 4runner with a V8 to tow it. I would like to tow a small aluminum boat with an 8hp motor also if it is possilbe. I would be towing in Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas if it is legal in these states. I am unsure of the regulations in any of these states.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Freedom

Don't come to Washington with that setup. You'll end up with a good sized ticket. I just checked with the State Patrol and they confirmed that it's illegal. Check with each state you plan on going to, because some do allow that. I agree with Leon - the frame probably is a limiting factor - it's built for the trailer, NOT for the extra strain that would be exerted on it by towing another trailer.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I'd put the 14 foot aluminum boat on top of my TV. With the right rack one person can load and unload it. I've even seen them on top of motorhomes, but I would not want to put that on top of a TM. Be aware the the hitch on the back of the TM is rated for 100 pounds and is intended for a locker or bike rack. You many need to modify the frame to accommodate a triple.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Thumbs down Possible; Generally illegal; absolutely stupidly dangerous to even try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynel
Is it pobbible to tow a 14 ft flatbottom aluminum boat behind a TM. We are considering purchasing a TM 3123ks. We will be using a 2005 4runner with a V8 to tow it. I would like to tow a small aluminum boat with an 8hp motor also if it is possilbe. I would be towing in Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas if it is legal in these states. I am unsure of the regulations in any of these states.
Oh, it's possible to to do this. But it's also possible for strong human to tow a Boeing 737 for a few feet. Just because it's possible doesn't mean that its either legal or safe.

Amazingly it is legal to do this in a few states...nearly or entirely all of them the mostly flat, southern states. The rest of the states wisely outlawed such triples because they're flat out dangerous.

Your real problem is that a 4Runner barely has enough wheelbase (steering leverage) to control a 3023 by itself. Add another trailer behind the 3023, especially a trailer without any brakes, and the combined rig is simply an accident waiting to happen. The likely disaster scenario will happen if you try to do hard braking in a turn. That might be the need for a sudden stop on a freeway ramp; it might be trying to slow down when rounding a curve when descending a hill/mountain.

What will happen is the boat (even though it and its trailer only weigh maybe 500-800 lbs) will strongly tend to keep going straight anytime you're trying to both turn and quickly stop the combined rig. Since the boat trailer undoubtedly has no brakes (or at least brakes controlled from within the tow vehicle), the boat and its trailer will thus very forcefully push the rear of the TrailManor toward the outside of the curve. That will pivot the TrailManor around its axle and very strongly push the rear of the 4Runner toward the inside of the curve. The 4Runner, being a rather short wheelbase vehicle, will be easily rotated around its rear wheels and you will suddenly find yourself heading rapidly toward the outside of the curve. You will try to fight this by pushing even harder on the brake pedal (and turning the steering wheel even more sharply)...and that will instantly cause all these forces to rapidly and dramatically increase. Within a fraction of a second the entire rig will be double jackknifed and, more likely than not, one or both of the trailers or 4Runner will roll over. And even if you somehow avoid a rollover, the jackknifed rig will be uncontrollably sliding/spinning out of the traffic lane and into the path of oncoming traffic.

The bottom line is any combination of turning and forceful braking will virtually guarantee a disastrous accident.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Gateway

I thought that triples were only done behind fifth wheel's
Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

About a year ago, I ran across a big table which summarized the towing laws for the 50 states. It listed a whole bunch of items, but not, surprisingly, towing mirrors. It may have been

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

You can always check your state's DMV web site. There are also state-by-state sites, like
http://www.rvadvice.com/neato.html#Timeless
but they are harder to use if you want answers for multiple states. For example, the original poster asked about Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas (all of which, incidentally, seem to allow triples!)

Please note that these sites address the LEGALITY of towing a triple, not the ADVISABILITY. For example, I don't believe they distinguish between a small boat behind a small camper, and the giant triple "road trains" that UPS and others haul around. I strongly recommend that you listen to the safety-related posts above.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We saw a truck pulling a large travel-trailer pulling a boat on the Alaska Hwy last summer. All three were turned over on their sides and the driver was standing all alone in the middle of the road. I stopped to ask if he needed help and he seemed totally unconcerned -- said a friend was coming to help. I guess he was tired of people stopping to offer help but not to the point of being unfriendly. I noticed that he wasn't using a WDH.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Another thread about TV + TM + Boat:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1392
After the dealer's wreck referred to in the above thread. He informed me that one of the reasons that TM went to the plastic bumper was to discourage or stop 2 up towing. The optional rear hitch on the 2004 and up TMs is only rated for 100# tongue load which implies 1000# max trailer weight.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Waynel

Thanks for all of the information. I certainly don't think it is a good idea to tow a boat behind a TM. I like to fish when we go camping so I will just have to look for a different solution.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Small aluminum fishing boats, up to around 16 feet or so, will fit nicely on top of a pickup truck.

You could also put a collapsible fishing boat in the TV. It might even fit inside the TM, but it would be awkward to get it in and out.

There are also inflatables like the Zodiac.