TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Will I need "Funky" antenna upgrades?

Ray, Mike:

You both have 2720s, about the same as my 2619. Did you need to install the optional 'remote antenna', or the in-the-RV signal booster, in order to get good reception at your TV dash?

Or were you able to just put 'em on the stems and get a strong signal WITHOUT any extra stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm getting one, I think. DW and TM are both worth it.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I have a 2619 and Expedition. I use the Doran system and it works just fine. I even got to test the system out, unfortunately. I had a dual blowout but the system alerted me in time to pull over before the tires came apart. For the whole story see the posting "My First Flat" in the thread called "Flat" under "Frame".
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default No extra antennas needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Ray, Mike:

You both have 2720s, about the same as my 2619. Did you need to install the optional 'remote antenna', or the in-the-RV signal booster, in order to get good reception at your TV dash?

Or were you able to just put 'em on the stems and get a strong signal WITHOUT any extra stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm getting one, I think. DW and TM are both worth it.
The answer is "B"...you should not need the extra stuff. I'm able to get plenty of signal strength while towing with just the little stub antenna that came with the monitor. That's with the monitor lying in the tray at the front of my truck's console (i.e. not up near a window). Somewhat amazingly, I've found I can even get a reliable readout when my TV (Tundra truck) is parked along the street in front of my house and the trailer is still in the garage...about 60~70 feet away.

If I were you I'd just get the regular kit and see it how it works...my suspicion is that will be all you need.

P.S. If you don't already have them, the one thing I'd definitely recommend is retrofitting your trailer wheels with metal valve stems. As discussed previously in this thread (and in other recent threads), the rubber valve stems are a weak point. I managed to make it through all of last year's towing season without a failure in either stem but I'm getting metal valve stems installed (in 15 inch rims) before I start towing this year.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Thanks!

Thank you both for your reports. I will be changing the three valve stems (including spare) to high-pressure-rated metal, per your advice and the valve stem failure threads.

(I'll wait until after the Doran arrives, so that the wheels can be balanced with the monitors in place. )
Old 06-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
moodyja

I can't remember which thread I read where a couple of people asked about the sensor locks for the Pressure Pro sensors. In that thread they stated they could not find them on the Doran site. While I was doing research on the Pressure Pro I found this website that sells the locks. Enjoy

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...ressurePro7050

EDIT: Excuse the above post. I just found the sensor locks on the Doran site as well. I thought I was going to really help. I tried anyway.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Thumbs down I can't imagine WHY

someone without a Doran RECEIVER would want to steal the Sensors off of my tires. So until I get burned, I'm just gonna continue leaving 'em on, naked and unprotected.

Anyway, after shipping, it'll cost almost $20 to protect Sensors which only cost $100 to begin with. The odds of them getting ripped off aren't anywhere near 1:5, I think, and I live in a gambling town-- the SMART MONEY play is to pass on this. But thanks for the post!

BTW, I *love* the Doran, it inspires great confidence. It was amusing to see the tires loose about 4 PSI (when already warmed up to freeway speeds in 70 degree temps), just from the altitude change of going where I live (6000 ft.) down to Sea Level. BTW the difference between cold PSI and warmed up at 70 degrees was from 50 to about 58.5. In upcoming summer heat, it would probably have a larger rise.

Per Goodyear's instructions for the 15" tires on my not-very-heavy 2619, I REALLY ought to drop my 'cold' inflation down to no more than 40 PSI (at 50 PSI cold, the trailer's running way too firm, shaking the h$^#% out of it). Their recommended inflation at my typical weight loaded weight is only 35 PSI! (Going out, we run HEAVY, about 1700 on each TM tire. We always load it up with many gallons of R/O drinking water from home.)

But until now, I haven't had the GUTS to inflate any less than 50 PSI. Now that I'm gonna get an alarm almost instantly for any significant drop, I'm gonna do it.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
moodyja

How are the sensors reprogrammed if you move them to different tires with a lower base line pressure?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyja View Post
How are the sensors reprogrammed if you move them to different tires with a lower base line pressure?
The sensor broadcasts the pressure of the tire to the monitor, which displays the pressure on demand. Removing the sensor from the valve stem for 60 seconds will blank out the old pressure. When the sensor is installed, the initial pressure is the base pressure from which the alerting pressures are calculated: 12.5% loss and 25% loss.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #19
cali camping

Hey all,
I just installed this system...

http://www.tiresafeguard.com/

It is the Tire-SafeGuard system and it monitors Tire pressure and Temperature. I chose this system because it monitors both pressure and temperature. I used the internal valve stem mounts with the single vehicle configuration and just left one sensor out when I programmed the system. I also installed a sensor on the spare. I did not need any sensors for the TV as Cadillac has them built in. The whole set-up appears to be of very good quality and we take it on the first road trip on Monday...I'll let you know how it works when I return!

Cheers...

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Sounds nice!

I went with the Doran because I didn't want to take the tires completely off the rims to mount an internal Sensor (of EITHER type capable of measuring interior temperature: either on the inside of the valve stem, or strapped around the wheel). I bet you're gonna love it!