TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Crosbyk

Default Towing with an Odyssey or Mazda Tribute

Has anyone experienced towing a 3023 or 2720 with an 05 Honda Odyssey or 01 Mazda Tribute? Both are rated at 3500lbs.
I am very interested in the 3023 but fear I'm really pushing it...esp with higher altitudes.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
mehitabel

Default Towing Odyssey

The problem with towing with Odyssey is not weight: it is front wheel drive
Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Don't ignore weight as a problem with the Oddy. Strongly suggest you follow Leon's suggestions and do an Advanced Search for posts on the Odyssey. Several people have contributed knowledgable posts, most especially Denny_A.

This is doubly important if, as you say, high altitudes and steep grades will be involved.

You especially need to understand the difference between "dry weight" as specified in the manufacturer's web site (ANY mfr, not just TM), and the weight of a TM, with options, packed and ready for the road. You also need to understand what Honda means when they say the tow rating is 3500 pounds.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
CAmark
Site Sponsor

In addition to the tow rating you will want to review your Ody owner's manual for recommendations on using weight distribution hitches. I know there are threads regarding this topic, including one about Honda Pilots -- somewhat similar to Ody? The best information will likely come from the Denny A. posts as mentioned by Bill.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
PopBeavers

You might get by if you had:

no awning
no a/c
no water
no sewage
no food
etc.

I just looked at the factor web site. It claims that the dry weight for my 2720 is 2742 pounds. That means that with options, water, propane and cargo that my actual weight is 1142 higher.

I recommend that unless you want to weigh each option that you assume that the total trailer weight will be factory spec plus about a thousand pounds.

That would mean that the 2720, with options and cargo, weighs 3742 and the 3023 weighs 3915.

The 2720 is doable if you have a limit of 3500. You probably don't need to carry any water with you, depending on where you want to go. And I'm sure you don't need the 12 cans of peaches I noticed that DW has hiding in the back of the cabinet, just in case.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Mel Chaney

Have just returned from a 3500 mile round trip from South Alabama to the Northeast. My TV is a Hyundai Sante Fe with a 3.5 V6, also rated at 3500 tow capacity. I have a 2619. It handled the relatively low mountains in TN,NC and VA quite well and also Bear Mtn. in NY. Using 4th gear and staying out of O.D. I could maintain 55 to 65 mph at about 2500 to 3000 rpm. Also, I used a single bar WDH hooked on the first link. My 2619 has all the options except the hanging cabinet. Avg. fuel milage on the trip was 14. So, my advice to you is to give it a try !!!

Mel Chaney
TM 2619
2004 Hyundai Sante, Fe
Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Crosbyk

Thank you to everyone for your input. This site is very helpful!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Crosbyk

I've gotten a couple inquiries as to what our decision was ... and my husband and I both agree that we would not be comfortable towing a 3023 nor a 2720 with our Odyssey. We are planning on trading our Mazda Tribute for something with more power. Then we can finally get our Trailmanor !

Thanks,
Kristy
Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
MidwestDave

Default Study tow ratings

Crosbyk you can go to the Trail Manor web site. Click on tow ratings,then click tow vehicles,then click your tow vehicle. These are the ratings for all 2000 to 2005 models. At least you can see what models are out there that would suit you for a tow vehicle

Midwest Dave
2006 model 2720,2002 Dodge Gran Caravan w/tow pkg.3.8l-6 cyl.
Air,awning,swing away hitch,sink cabinet,microwave drawer,tv shelf,
prodigy brake controller,WDH,tv-radio antena.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).....

......is 8120 lbs for the 2001 Ody (which I had). That was a killer. Two adults and one big dog. Still had to remove both Captains seats to save 100 lbs in order to stay w/in limits. AND I traveled with NO fluids in the trailer. It was really dicey. My 2720 was around 3100 lbs dry.

The 2005 ODY may have a higher GCWR due to 45 HP and 25 lb-ft torque in additional performance. #'s are in the owner's manual.

As has been previously stated, the front wheel drive is ok 99% of the time. It's the other 1% that can be a pain. I got caught in a snowstorm. Forced to stop on a slight uphill grade, there was no way to get the rig moving forward once the sig lites changed. Lots of unhappy folks behind me. Also climbed a steep road which had loose surface gravel on it. I was in the lowest gear, very high revs and the wheels started to slip intermittantly. Fortunately I made it to the top, but still can't imagine how I woud have backed down the curving road w/out the option to go forward if I miss-steered!

Solved my problem by trading for a Toyo 4Runner (4WD). Loved that 4WD. didn't use it much. The kind of comfort you get with a twin engine airplane which can climb at max gross wt with one engine out. Insurance!

HTH - Denny_A