TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
101kreasons

Default brake controller installation

Anyone know how to install a brake controller on a 2007 trailblazer. I have a powertrac from my 2002 Bravada that has four wires (black, blue, white and red) but all I can find on the Trailblazer is a mess of wires, very thin and lots of different colors. thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The powertrac is a time delay controller. You might want to review this tutorial

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2830

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Problem resolution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
I had the TM out this weekend for some maintenance, and on the trip back to the storage lot the trailer brakes were pulsing on and off in a moderately hard stop, similar to the stories in this thread. Except I haven't done anything with the bearings recently (but I did do some electrical work, moving the battery from the tongue to the aft storage compartment), and the voltage readings on the Prodigy were going up and down with the brakes. The trailer brakes when activated by the manual lever were nicely proportional and smooth.

I couldn't find anything on this in the Prodigy "troubleshooting" section, but I'm still hoping there's an easy fix or something I missed.
Just to close this item, I called Tekonsha tech support, and they felt this sounded more like an adjustment issue than an equipment failure. So they asked me to check this carefully and call them back if there's still a problem.

I had just brought the TM from the storage yard and was then returning it when I had first noted the problem. "Just coming a few miles from the storage yard", thought I, "Not going to be going over 45, and no real traffic issues, just plug the controller in, set it approximately and go...what's the big deal?"

Today, I just brought the TM out again for the first time since the incident (I know, I've been spending too much time posting and not enough time camping lately, but we're going to work on that tomeorrow). This time I went through the adjustment sequence, and everything's fine.

Lesson learned: If you have the Prodigy cranked up too high, The TM brakes are good enough to stop the Tow Vehicle hard enough for the Prodigy to sense the stop and then over react by braking still more, creating a pulse effect. Over-stopping being better than not-stopping, this wasn't exactly a safety issue for my short trip, but it underscores the need for brake-controller-setting discipline every time you hitch up.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
agesilaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101kreasons View Post
Anyone know how to install a brake controller on a 2007 trailblazer. I have a powertrac from my 2002 Bravada that has four wires (black, blue, white and red) but all I can find on the Trailblazer is a mess of wires, very thin and lots of different colors. thanks
Most recent vehicles that have the factory installed tow package come with a socket preinstalled under the dash and have that plug with the wire stubs in the glove box. If you don't have a tow package then you may not have all that.

The Prodigy has instructions for doing the wiring yourself and you can call their tech support line for more info. Probably easier to let the rv dealer do it unless you are used to doing that sort of work.

BK