TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
boomin

Question Ford Ranger as TV

I am a newbie at trailer camping, have not even towed anything yet. We are looking at the TM's. We have a 1996 Ranger ExCab with the 4.0 V-6 and 4 speed auto. What would I need to add to my pick-up to tow say a 2619 or 2700 TM?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #2

Default Ranger TV

A V8. Seriously, you would need a tow package which would include a class III receiver hitch, trailer wiring which would include a brake hookup. An electronic brake controller wired into the system and mounted on the dash. You probably need an extra transmission cooler. Your Ranger would be OK in most of the South and Eastern states though you would notice some strain in the mountains. It would be much more strained in the western mountains, but I think it would work if you were patient and don't load the TM or the TV down too much.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Boomin' -

What does Ford give as a towing rating for this vehicle? The Rangers were pretty small back then. I have a '98 Ranger, and granted it has only the inline 4 cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission, but its tow rating is ZERO - as in nothing! (Strangely enough, it came with a step-and-tow bumper.)

There is more than engine to consider. If your vehicle is too light (as in weight) or too short (as in wheelbase), the trailer will push it all around the road. My Ranger is much too light, much too small, and much too underpowered and undertorqued, to tow anything more than a small utility trailer. Listen to DeanBilly, look up your tow ratings (should be in the owner's manual), and see where you fall.

I find the following post on another forum:
Quote:
The Ford specs for the [1999] Ranger with a 4.0L V6 are:
GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating): 7,000lbs
Max Trailer Weights:
Reg Cab, 4x2, 3.55 axle: 3,660lbs
Reg Cab, 4x4, 3.73 axle: 3,360lbs
Super Cab, 4x2, 3.55 axle: 3,520lbs
Super Cab, 4x4, 3.73 axle: 3,200lbs
And on the Ford trucks forum, I find the following posts:
Quote:
QUESTION:
I've got a 1996 Ranger SuperCab XLT 4.0L A/T and 3.08 gearing. I need to know if I can pull a 2000# pop-up with this truck. I plan to add a Trans Cooler. Thanks for the input. Mutley
REPLY:
The Ford towing guide shows towing maximums for 4.0 AT 3.08 gears at 2000-2700lbs. These ratings are a little optimistic. That 2000lb popup trailer could easily weigh 2500lbs or more when loaded. Lower rear end gears would be very desirable.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
RobertF

Bill, the manual for my 1999 Ford Ranger Supercab with the 4.0L 6 cyl engine and automatic transmission says the towing capacity is 5860#. It has a 126" wheelbase. The gear ratio is 3.55:1 but I hear that can be upgraded. If I upgraded the gear ratio, added a transmission cooler, electric brake wiring and a good trailer hitch, wouldn't I be good to go for a TM 2720 even in the West where I live?

I was towing a small Jayco tent trailer with the Ranger. I think the empty wt was 1800# and most of the time I forgot it was behind me. If the TM 2720 wt was 2800# Dry and I added 1200# for misc stuff/fluids (is this a reasonable amount?), that would add up to 4000#. If me, the wife and 16 gallons of gas were the only items in the truck, I'd think we could tow it. Right? Guess I'm looking for confirmation since I'm new at this also.

BTW...first time poster. If I get a TM rig, I'll be back. Sure don't want to buy a new truck though. I really like my 4 door supercab.

Bob
Old 03-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Freedom

We had a 2001 Mazda pickup (Incidentally, that Mazda had a V-6!) which was built by FORD and it wasn't any good for towing. At the time we had the smallest Palamino tent trailer that we towed all the way to Oaxaca, Mexico. The timing was set by the computer and was not changeable. We had to add octane booster whenever we towed because otherwise it pinged as soon as you got to any hill. The Palamino only weighed about 2000lbs loaded. I didn't even want to think about trying to go to the Eisenhower tunnel with that rig, much less towing a TM. Interestingly, in Mexico we didn't have to add octane booster because the gas is better down there!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #6

Default Ford Ranger

Check you gross weight for both vehicles, truck and trailer added together. Also, the 2720 only has a 3500 lb axle unless it was changed. I think the weight you quoted is without an AC, awning, etc. You will be pushing the limits, but it will probably be OK most of the time.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
PopBeavers

FWIW, I fully loaded my 2005 TM 2720 and weighed it last year.

When I say fully loaded, I mean:

1. 40 gallons fresh water.
2. 6 gallons in water heater.
3. Toilet chaged (don't know how many gallons).
4. Propane full.
5. Two group 24 batteries (on tongue).
6. Roof a/c.
7. All the pots, pans and cookie sheets DW might ever need.
8. Food for two for 4 days.
9. Soda, bottled water and a cold beverage of my choice, enough for 4 people for a week.
10. A well stocked liquor cabinet.
11. Camping chairs for 8.
12. TM awning.
13. Free standing awning.

And I'm sure I had a bunch more stuff. I was trying to simulate the most stuff I could imagine ever taking with me. I had even more stuff in the truck.

Axle weight in the TM was 3380. I did not weigh the tongue.

My point is that in order to get the TM loaded to 3500 pounds on the axle I would have needed to take some lead anchors with me. So if you try real hard you could get up to 400 pounds, but realistically, I think any TM 2720 or 2719 will actually weigh at least a couple of hundred pounds less.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
RobertF

Wayne, that's good information. I really thought it would be much higher than 3380#. That gives me some idea what to expect on any RV I might buy.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
shunter917
Site Sponsor

I used to tow with a 2000 Ranger with the 4.0 V-6 and it was just fine. I added air springs to even out the ride, but still used a WDH. It towed wonderfully. I usually didn't know our 3023 was behind us. The only reason we traded it in was to get "real" back seats to take the grandkids.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote