TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Pat Stafford

Default Gas Mileage

I posted this on another query but it has gas mileage info for you.

My wife and I towed the 3124KS we just bought about 900 miles. The Prodigy brake controller worked beautifully and is very easy to adjust. It was my first experience with an electronic controller and I can definitely recomment it.

I have a 98 Chevy Tahoe with towing package that includes the additional cooling options and from past experience would recomemend those packages in any event if you tow any distances. My Tahoe seems to get a bit better mileage and maybe this is because of good break in and maintenance. With the Tahoe, power and weight are not a real issue but our mileage varied anywhere from 13 to 17 mpg with the 13 being in the Smokey mountains and the 17 being on relatively flat roads. There is a significant mileage increase of 2 to 3 mpg if we set the cruise control at 65 instead of 75. A strong headwind cost us 2 mpg overall one day. There was no sway and no issues with towing this trailer at any speed and it pulls easier than my boat which weights about the same but has less tongue weight.

The only gotcha we saw was that the tongue weight is fairly high due to the single axle. This caused the Tahoe to drop down in the rear but not to much to drive and not enough to bottom the suspension. Our solution after we got home was to get a WDH. A good one costs about $250 or so and is easy to instal. It leveled the rig just fine with no noticeable changes in the way it tows. It does add about 70 to 80 Lbs to the weight equation when you are loading the Tahoe and trailer and of course, shifts some weight back on the trailer axle and you need to consider that when loading the trailer.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Queeniereads

I would like to piggy back on something you said about setting the cruise control. I had read on either this forum or RV-Net that one should not use cruise control when towing. Is that true? Thanks -- Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 01-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #13

Default cruise control

I've always used the cruise control when towing trailers and especially with the TM, judiciously, of course. You may be thinking of the overdrive, some vehicle manufacturers reccommend turning OD off. Ford says use common sense. If towing causes rapid up and down shifting, turn OD off.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #14
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

17 Hiway without TM
14 Hiway With
5.4 Liter
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeniereads
I would like to piggy back on something you said about setting the cruise control. I had read on either this forum or RV-Net that one should not use cruise control when towing. Is that true? Thanks -- Queeniereads aka Judi
I never use cruise control in heavy traffic, wet roads or curvy roads, even when not towing.

When towing I do use cruise control as long as it is light trafic, dry roads, limited curves and flat enough that it does not shift often. I will occasionally speed up slightly if I notice that I am approaching a small grade that would likely result in a down shift if left alone. For me, the cruise control establishes the MIMINUM desired speed.

I do run the transmission with TOW engaged.

I do have enough power that on the freeway it pretty much always stays in OD and almost never shifts for several hours.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
evans27292

Smile gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
For those of us contemplating a new truck, I'd like to do a survey on gas mileage, both normal and towing.
I'd appreciate if you could respond indicating the truck, motor and estimated mileage.
Thanks
John
i have 2005-3023 TM pulled by 2005 chevy 2wd, crew cab, 5.3 v8, i avg. 17.2-17.3 mpg. at speeds of 65-70 mph .also i engage tow/ pull botton to keep out of overdrive, and tac. out at 1800 rpm.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #17
shunter917
Site Sponsor

We have a 2001 3023 which I pull with a V-8 Expedition. I get about 16 - 17 mpg to work and back (combo city and freeway driving), 13 - 14 towing and 18 or so straight highway without towing.

When I towed with my Ford V-6 Ranger, I got 18 - 19 to and from work and 15 - 16 towing the TM.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
skcerny

Last year we did a 17 day 2,600 mile journey from Detroit to the outer banks of N. Carolina then over to the Smokey mountains back up to Mamouth Cave and then back to Detroit. TV is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with factory tow package. TM is a 2005 3023. Overall mpg for the trip was 15.4. Van pulled TM without any problems. We had one 9% decline that made me a little nervous. Started to smell brakes but it ended up being our friends in front of us.

Steve
1 DW
2 kids
2 Greyhounds (not on that trip)!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
Grouse

Default EPA ratings

While looking at new tow vehicles and the EPA ratings it occurred to me that the ratings do not take the towing package and different rear differential into account because they are options. That difference in gearing on the rear differential can play havoc with mileage. So even if you compare fuel economy someone is reporting, go out and buy the same TV but add the towing package with that new rear diff the poster did not have, your gas/diesel/hybrid economy will not be as good.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #20
Russ

Default mileage

1996 Jeep Grand Cherikee 6 cylinder. Went to Seattle from Lander, Wyo. Lots of steep hills. Averaged 19.2 at 70 MPH going. Picked up a 2720 SL and averaged 14.2 coming back. Lots of steep inclines. I'm an engineer and keep my equipment in top shape. Don't believe I could do better.
This is not a pickup, but hope it helps.
Mobile Mountain Manor
Russ