TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
Gateway

Default Chevrolet Express/ GMC Savanna

I have a 2001 Chevy Express 1500 with the 5.0L V8 and 135 inch wheelbase.

The 5.0 makes 220-hp @ 4,800 rpm & 280 lbs.-ft. @ 2,800 rpm
It has a 3.42 axle and the stated towing capacity is 5100lb
the trans ratios are:

1st-3.06
2nd-1.63
3rd-1.00
4th-0.70 (OD lockout is recomended for towing)

Chevrolet reccomends brakes over 1000lb and distributing hitch with sway control over 4000lb.
I have pulled our 12x6 enclosed cargo trailer(3000lb) with no brakes without any problem.

I'm looking at either the 3124ks or the 3326 king. Would these be within the capacity of the van? Also I may replace the van with a 2004 with the 5.3 V8 @295hp/335lbft which puts the towing capacity upto 6200lb.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
BobRederick

FYI, I am happy with my 2002 Envoy pulling the 3326. It has a 6 cyl rated at 250 hp, probably at a very high RPM. It has a flat torque curve over RPM. I can pull 6 or 7% grades at 50 MPH, about 2900 RPM in second gear. My rear ratio is 3.7 and that is my biggest concern about your rig. You are geared for highway milage and your performance won't be so good in the mountains. My towing capacity is rated 5600# and I think you will be maxed out with the bigger TMs. Your towing capacity rating includes all options on the TM, water, propane, clothing, food, people and all the contents of your TV/TM.

I recommend the 4WD option on a new vehicle for its granny gear that lets me idle into off-road boondock camping sites around trees or other obstructions and wouldn't want to be without that. It is also manditory for sand or cinders or other not-so-good surfaces.

I am sure you will get some excellent answers off this forum, so I'll keep mine short.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Very borderline, depends on your location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway
I have a 2001 Chevy Express 1500 with the 5.0L V8 and 135 inch wheelbase.

The 5.0 makes 220-hp @ 4,800 rpm & 280 lbs.-ft. @ 2,800 rpm
It has a 3.42 axle and the stated towing capacity is 5100lb
the trans ratios are:

1st-3.06
2nd-1.63
3rd-1.00
4th-0.70 (OD lockout is recomended for towing)

Chevrolet reccomends brakes over 1000lb and distributing hitch with sway control over 4000lb.
I have pulled our 12x6 enclosed cargo trailer(3000lb) with no brakes without any problem.

I'm looking at either the 3124ks or the 3326 king. Would these be within the capacity of the van? Also I may replace the van with a 2004 with the 5.3 V8 @295hp/335lbft which puts the towing capacity upto 6200lb.
You're borderline on torque to pull a loaded 3124KS and especially a loaded 3326KS. Both trailers will weigh between 4500 and 5000 lbs when fully loaded. Your 5100 lb "tow capacity" is measured with the van totally devoid of cargo or passengers...just driver and 3 gallons of gas in the tank. The weight of all cargo and passengers in the van have to be subtracted from the "tow capacity". If you, for instance, fill the fuel tank (~120 lbs) and carry 700 lbs of passengers and cargo in the van (a reasonable number), your real "tow capacity" will be more like 4300 lbs. Exceeding your vehicle's limits is a very poor/dangerous thing to do. I concur with the Bob that your biggest limitation is the 3.42 axle ratio.

Bottom line is the van will manage (though with poor acceleration) to pull either trailer on flat, low altitude roads such as in the midwest. It will struggle if you try to tow in mountainous regions and struggle very badly in high altitude mountainous regions such as the central Rocky Mountains. Expect to spend many miles climbing grades at only 20 to 25 mph if you try to tow across Colorado.

Replacing your van with the newer, more powerful model would be exceedingly prudent.

Finally, you absolutely will need a trailer brake controller for the trailer's electric brakes and you will also need a WDH (just like your owner's manual states). Sway control on the WDH will not, however, be needed.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Gateway

If I do get a new one, what should I get? The 3500 with the 6L or Diesel can pull upto 10,000lb with the 4.10 axle(and pretty poor mpg). The 06 1500 with 5.3L will get 20mpg, the 3500 probably is around 10mpg. Also would it be of any beneit to get the 155 in wheelbase?

The 1500 is available with full time AWD(no low range). The other way to get a proper 4wd it the Quigley 4x4 option that replaces the drivetrain with a real 4wd setup.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question Where will you (mostly) be towing

Quote:
If I do get a new one, what should I get? The 3500 with the 6L or Diesel can pull upto 10,000lb with the 4.10 axle(and pretty poor mpg). The 06 1500 with 5.3L will get 20mpg, the 3500 probably is around 10mpg. Also would it be of any beneit to get the 155 in wheelbase?

The 1500 is available with full time AWD(no low range). The other way to get a proper 4wd it the Quigley 4x4 option that replaces the drivetrain with a real 4wd setup.
Can't really answer until we know in what region(s) of the country you'll be doing most of your towing. As I stated above...and my co-moderator Bill has stated many times in other threads, WHERE you will mostly tow makes a bigger difference in tow vehicle requirements than any other factor.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Gateway

We are in Seattle and I'd be taking it to BC, Oregon, Montana, California, Nevada and Arizona. So there would be some pretty good grades to go up and down.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default You'll need a vehicle with a very large GCWR.

Quote:
We are in Seattle and I'd be taking it to BC, Oregon, Montana, California, Nevada and Arizona. So there would be some pretty good grades to go up and down.
Yep, those states aren't exactly the flat-as-a-pancake midwest ...and in some areas you'll be dealing with deleterious effects of altitude as well as just steep grades So here's how to determine what to get (I'm not going to get into the details of the multitude of models in the GM lineup).

Using TM's website specs for the 3326 and 3124KS, the weight numbers are as follows:
  • 3326: Empty weight, 3520; Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) 1396 for calculated GVWR of 4916
  • 3124KS: Empty, 3185; CCC, 1595 for a calc GVWR of 4780.
Worst case (but only by 136 lbs) is the 3326.

For reasonably stress-free mountain towing, it's my strong opinion that your trailer's GVWR should not exceed 80% of the vehicle's "tow rating" if high altitude (over 7000 feet) is not a frequent factor; and not exceed 60% of the "tow rating" if high altitude is a frequent factor (50% if very high altitude...like Colorado's mostly 11,000+ elevation passes...is a frequent factor).

Using a fully loaded 3326 as the worst case (lots of storage in that trailer...very easy to reach the GVWR with the load for very a long trip), those percentages above translate as follows into desired "tow capacities":

80% of max = 6150 lb tow capacity
60% of max = 8193 lb tow capacity
50% of max = 9832 lb tow capacity

All things considered, I'd strongly suggest you not consider any tow vehicle with less than a 7000 lb tow capacity and try to get one with at least an 8000 or even 8500 to 9000 lb capacity. Go to the upper end of the scale if you expect to carry heavy loads in the tow vehicle (lots of passengers as well as cargo); the lower end of the scale may be ok if you travel extremely lightly.

As a point of reference, my Toyota Tundra has a factory rated tow capacity of 7100 lbs and I pull a moderately to heavily loaded 2720SL....it weighs around 3800 on long trips; around 3600 lbs on short trips. And I travel solo (no other pax) with a very light load (maybe only 300 lbs) of gear in the truck. Nonetheless, until I spent about $3000 on performance upgrades (total torque increase was a very considerable 23%...equivalent to the stock truck with a 400 ft-lb engine), this truck was able to just stay with traffic when towing over Colorado's very high mountains. After the upgrades, I can now easily stay with or even outclimb cars on the very steep and high grades when towing.

Don't be scared by low (numerically high) axle ratios either...the difference in fuel economy between a vehicle with 4.10 axle vs one with a 3.4 axle is perhaps only 1 to 1.5 mpg but the difference in towing capabilty is enormous. One of my performance upgrades was regearing the axles from 3.92 to 4.30 which provided a 10% torque increase, yet the effect on mileage was inconsequential (about .3 mpg).

Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Gateway

I'm probably going to get the 3500 with the Duramax Diesel(available in 06 models). It is rated to tow 10,000 and has a turbo to get through the mountains. Also it will probably get better milage.

The Duramax in the Express is tuned way down so it should be pretty simple to increase the HP & Torque(it is 250 hp/460 lb.–ft. stock). It can be upgraded upto 800hp and 1400 lb.-ft.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

YAHOO! Now that's a truck ! You're going to love it in the high altitudes of the Sierras and Rockies - but you'll love it even better if you take a "normal" vehicle up there first.

Altitude has an almost unbelievable effect on an engine's power and torque output. There is a rule of thumb saying (someone correct me if I've got it wrong) that an engine loses something like 3-4% of its output per thousand feet of altitude. If you stick around the flatlands, this is pretty inconsequential. But if get up to 8-9000 feet in the Sierras (think Yosemite) or 10-11,000 feet in the Rockies, the engine just can't breathe. Now add to that a steep grade, where it needs more than the normal amount of power, and it is just plain sad, and very frustrating.

I consider my Explorer to be a "normal" vehicle. It is rated to tow 7000+ pounds, and on the flats I often forget that the TM is back there. It just hums along all day at 65-70 mph. But it was mighty sluggish getting up to an 8000 foot campground in the Sierras. And on the western approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel in RMR country, that long last grade up to 11,000 feet was a killer. I had trouble maintaining 35 mph at reasonable RPM (yes, I could have cranked it up to red line and done a little better, but that is mighty hard on the engine).

Ray and I have corresponded about adding a bolt-on supercharger like the B-17s used in WWII. The purpose would be to raise the air pressure at the engine inlet back to something like sea level pressure. It would have to be able to do this continuously for hours on end. Unfortunately, although we could find aftermarket turbos and supers that would boost pressure way above sea level, for quick bursts of power at a drag race, we couldn't find anything that would do the job over the long haul. The Turbo on your Duramax will move a long way in that direction.

Let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Gateway

I ran into a problem, the Duramax is only available on the cargo vans this year. So everything is bare metal behind the front seats. I will either have to wait for them to have it in the passenger van, get the cargo van and have it customized with seats, windows and all. Ford does have a diesel in the pass van, but I'd much rather have the Chev/GMC.

One more thing the dealer pointed out, the express with the Duramax doesn't have the Allison transmission like the pickups do so that would probably limit power upgrades on the van.