TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
LittleBirdie

Default Satellite Radio - has anybody installed them in the trailer?

We are looking at the Satellite Radio for the rv. I personally would like to have a portable one which I can play anywhere. I would like to be able to use the speakers for the radio.

Is there a way I can get access to the speakers wire in order to hook up not only the radio but also the tv?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A portable satellite radio may not have enough audio power output to drive the TM speakers adequately. Depends on the particular radio, check the specs. If not, you will probably need to install a small amplifier. You can buy an amplifier with multiple inputs (and probably separate volume or "gain" controls) and a switch on the front to select the one you want. Plug the TV into one set of inputs, and the satellite radio into another. Connect the TM speakers to the amplifier's output.

The wires to the speaker are accessible under the kitchen counter above the refrig. Remove the wooden cover (approx 2"x6") above the refrig door by carefully sliding a table knife or plastic putty knife under the edge. Alternatively, you can get at them from the outside access area above the refrig, and then route them wherever you want.

Incidentally, this opening is properly sized to add a radio - a car radio of the standard single-DIN size will slide right in there. Many of us use the radio's AUX INPUT to drive the speakers from a TV, etc. Do a search on "radio" to find the threads that cover this.

Good luck

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
pbuck1

I agree with Bill in that most if not all satellite radios would not drive speakers directly (earphones maybe). As the alternative to installing an amplifier, putting in a car radio (which of course contains an amplifier) into the TM is probably the way to go (most satellite radios have an FM modulator so you can receive their output over an unused FM radio channel on the car radio - no wires). With the correct car radio (with CD player) installed you can play regular radio, satellite radio, CD and your TV (via the AUX input) through the speakers. Car radios can be quite inexpensive and for DIY installation there is plenty of info on this site.

Incidentally, someone posted a special "friends and family" offer on this board a short while back, where you could get a satellite radio for free (with a few months service commitment). The offer may have run out a few days ago, but you can do a search and check.

Paul
Old 01-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Harry Womack

Default xm radio

I have a xm radio in the trailer. I used a pioneer am,fm,cd,xm radio. The antenna is on the roof. I glued a 2" square of galvanized steel to the roof to hold the magnetic mount. I ran the antenna wire up the torsion bar wire harness to the roof. The xm module is mounted under the sink cabinet on the right wall so that I can exchange the antenna wires easy. I also carry a 50 foot extra xm antenna rolled up inside the refrig. access door. This is used for the xm radio when I am parked under trees. In Colorado if I used the antenna on the roof, the radio would cut out when the wind would blow the tall pine trees.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

We have a Sirius Starmate in the truck. When we are parked near the TM there is no problem in picking it up on the radio in the TM. The power antenna that the TM has is great! No need to remove it from the truck., and it is such a low battery drain I don’t worry about the truck battery getting low. As an added benifit, when we are home, I can pick it up with the Bose wave radio when the truck is in the driveway.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Jim-NY

I installed my Sirius radio in my truck using the FM modulator method. Like YWORRYDOG, we also listen to that Sirius radio on the CD/radio inside the TM. The only problem I found is that the remote control to change stations on my Sirius is not powerful enough to reach through the TM and intom the closed truck. I have opened the slider window on back of truck and got it to work, but it's not convienient.

This is not a problem if you listen to just one Sirius station. Of course you can still tune into as many regular "over the air" radio stations as you want from inside the TM and flip back to that one Sirius station anytime you want inside the TM.

I don't recall what model my radio is, but it came with a tiny remote that uses a small coin size battery. A radio with a larger remote with AAA or AA batteries might give you enough power to flip the Sirius station from inside the TM.

Or perhaps a programable replacment remote? I will need to look into that for myself.

Jim
Old 01-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim and Chuck -

That means you leave the truck's key in the Accessory position while you are relaxing in the TM? Wow, you have better memories than I do. I would probably go to sleep and leave it on all night.

Is it possible to buy two Sirius radios for use on only one service subscription? Silly question, I suppose. But as I recall, the hardware is not expensive.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Jim-NY

The few times I used my Sirius radio this way the battery did not go dead, but I was driving the truck almost every day we camped. If you have a separate Sirius receiver, you won’t need to have the tow vehicles OEM radio turned on to transmit the FM frequency to the TM. If I were to install my receiver again, I would consider adding a switch to change the power source. One position would power receiver only when key is in either ACC or ON. The other switch position would power it even when key is off – and out of the truck. I could leave the switch in the first position most of the time and then switch it to the second position only when I was using the radio in camp. I bring an extra set of keys and can lock one set in truck in the ACC position.

Sirius will require an additional subscription for a second receiver, but it is discounted to $7 a month. You could also just use one receiver and have a separate docking station in the TM that would hook up to it's own antennae. They sell home and car kits that include both docking stations and antennas with one receiver or you can buy them individually. So you could put one in a car, one in your house, and one in the TM. I think as long as you didn't mind only using one at a time and moving the receiver, you would only need to pay for one subscription.

You’re right about the hardware being cheap. I think this is particularly true when you buy the hardware and sign up for new service – like cell phones. I think the hardware alone might be more expensive without subscription credit or rebates that require a new subscription.

I almost bought a lifetime Sirius subscription for $500, I think that’s about what it would cost at today’s prices for 4 1/2 years. But, when I probed for details they said it was not for my life ...it's for the receiver’s life! If you need to replace the $49 radio receiver in the first few years you are out a lot of money! They told me if I bought a service agreement from the retail store (Best Buy in my case) on the radio, the subscription would continue under a replacement radio. But then they were unable to provide that information to me in writing, which made me nervous. Generally, from my experience, service agreements are expensive and can be a hassle, so I tend to run away anyhow. There’s always a risk Sirius will go belly up too. XM has a much larger market share, but I think Sirius is gaining on them. Either one could go belly up. I choose Sirius for their content.

Before I leave you on that gloomy note, let me say I love satellite radio! I used to listen to NPR on the regular radio if I could get it on my FM radio and then lose the station part way though an interesting in depth news story or before Click and Clack solved a car repair issue I was following. Not a problem with satellite!

Jim
Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
MidwestDave

Cool Sirius alternative via DISH TV

Here is another way for satelite radio music. If you have a DISH tv set up they have various channels available too! No extra cost either I believe!
By the way it is also Sirius too!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Bruce

Default NPR on satellite?

Jim, I have looked into satellite radio especially in regards to obtaining clear and consistant NPR coverage but from what I have seen there are very few NPR programs on satellite. Sirius seems to have the most but they do not carry Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Terry Gross, etc. XM has Bob Edwards who left NPR and has his own show.
I have heard that NPR will never consent to allow their broadcasts to be carried via satellite because that would alienate their subscriber base network. How would they fund their programs without fund drives?
Maybe you can tell me if there is something I am missing here? I am a news junkie and would sign up tomorrow for Sirius if they had 24/7 comprehensive NPR programming.
The best solution I have found is to connect the TM's amplified antenna via a 300 to 75 ohm adapter to my FM radio's antenna. This works really well in fringe areas to pull in that elusive college FM station. I have even pulled in Michigan Public Radio from across Lake Superior when camping in Ontario.