TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Geoffrey Card

Default Confused!

This year we purchased a new 05 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD complete with the Toyota factory tow package. This vehicle has the uprated 3.3ltr V6 with 230BHP and 242lbs of torque. We would now like to purchase a TM 2619 for extended touring (two people). I have read conflicting information regarding the suitability of the Higlander most of which appers to come from members who have no actual experience of this vehicle combination.I would like to hear from any member who has actual towing experience with this vehicle combination. Thanks for your help.
Geoff Card
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
wwjam

Default Towing

Hi... I don't know if this is helpful or not, but we have an Explorer and we went to the website for Ford. They had all the information we needed for towing. Maybe Toyota does too. Maybe you've already done that but just thought I'd mention it.

Jo Ann
Old 10-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
pbuck1

Hi, Jeff

I'm not sure how many will have the exact combination you mention, but I towed my 2720SL with an Rx300 (which is a similar combination) when I collected it from Florida. The trip was over 1000 miles and the RX300 towed the TM with absolutely no problems maintaining 65mph (70mph when I forgot to keep an eye on the speedo) on the highway with no sway despite the big trucks passing. When cruising it was, as others have said on this forum, very easy to forget that the TM was there. The trip was mostly flat terrain but even on the hills in Virginia, while it was obvious that significantly more weight was being hauled uphill, the Rx handled it just fine. I used a Prodigy brake controller, and a WDH (800lb bars) which IMO is essential to redistribute some of that tongue weight.
However, in the end I succumbed to lack-of-margin-itis (a mathematical/ mental condition), however, and changed my TV from the Rx300 (3500/350 limit like the Highlander) to a 5000/500 vehicle (Infiniti QX4) with more torque, but I can honestly say that it doesn't feel as if it tows any better or easier than the Rx did.

Now compared with the Rx300 the 2005 Highlander, while about the same curb weight, has more bhp, and torque and significantly more payload capacity (probably due to Rx suspension being configured for a softer ride). In addition the 2619 should weigh less (but maybe not by much since the TM UVWs increased over the years), so you have a better combination than I did.
My 1000 mile experience is comparatively short but there is at least one person on this forum who has towed a TM with a Highlander far more extensively with no problems.
So in summary, I can say that this combination will probably feel just fine (can't speak to mountainous terrain/high altitude, however) and you can probably mitigate those intangible but nagging weight limits by using a WDH (definitely), travelling light (as empty as possible) and loading the provisions in the TV rather than the TM.
Also check the Highlander maintenance schedule - I believe towing makes you change the transfer case fluid and maybe the tranmission fluid much more often.

Paul
Old 10-26-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
pbuck1

Sorry,
I should have written Geoff (British spelling) , not Jeff.

And I'm an expat Brit.....I'm so Americanized after 25 years.

...colour, favour, centre, catalogue, carburettor, boot/bonnet, and tomAHto...

There, I feel better now..

Paul
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
ameridan

That is the combination I have, and I'm very happy with the Toyota. Just remember to tap the overdrive disengage switch on your gear selector unless you are on very flat or downhill terrain.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Geoffrey Card

Pual,
Thanks very much for the long and encouraging reply. I currently have an outstanding bid for a 2619 on e-Bay and should know the result shortly. Do you remember what gas mileage you got when towing with the RX300?
Good to talk to an ex pat Brit, we have been here since 1989.
Geoffrey
Old 11-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
pbuck1

Geoff,
I got around 16mpg at 65 (sometimes a bit over 65) - flat terrain.
Good luck on your ebay bid. I bought mine on ebay, too.
If it's a TM25, I think that's more like a 3023 than a 2619. Weights were lower in those days, though.

All the best on the purchase,

Paul
(been here since '81)
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Geoffrey Card

Unhappy

Thanks very much for your confirmation that you have the same vehicle combination and that you are happy with the Toyota. I am in the process of purchasing my Trailmanor and next Monday will be having the tow bar and electric break equipment installed on my Highlander. Please can you advise what specification of tow bar you have on your vehicle and whether or not you have a WDH (weight distribution bar) fitted? I am asking about this as some owners believe it essentual and the Toyota recommended tow bar installer considers it not necessary for pulling a TM of this size. Thanks in anticipation for your advise.Geoffrey Card
Old 11-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
ameridan

Although the trailer doesn't appear to sag the rear end of the TV that much, I would definitely invest in a WDH (I think mine is the class III Reese setup). It transfers the load towards the front of your TV for a safer ride. You do not need a sway bar though! You kept mentioning tow bar - but I think you meant trailer hitch. The hitch I bought and installed is the Draw-Tite Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver. Excellent!!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
Geoffrey Card

Smile

Thanks for your advice re the WDH. Sorry for the confusion re tow bar and tow hitch - tow bar is the term used in the UK my home land! One more question please, do you find it necessary to use an extension rear view mirror when towing your TM?